Taking a Flyer on Jason Botts?

StunninSteve

Guest Sailor Jerry
So, all 30 teams passed on him. There are lots of teams with offense issues. Maybe all the scouts know something that JTrea and SG don't?

The guy can't get around on a fastball. He isn't the solution. I actually wish we had picked him up. It would have been quite clear after just a few games that he wasn't the answer.

Because he's not good enough for other teams, he's perfect for our's!

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So, all 30 teams passed on him. There are lots of teams with offense issues. Maybe all the scouts know something that JTrea and SG don't?

The guy can't get around on a fastball. He isn't the solution. I actually wish we had picked him up. It would have been quite clear after just a few games that he wasn't the answer.

Not taking a chance on him and seeing what he can do is totally indefensible and beyond stupid.

Go ahead, find another reason to praise the Orioles.

We are trotting out a lineup that is pathetic...We are terrible at almost every position....Not giving this guy a chance is stupid.

If you sign him, give him 100 at bats and he looks totally terrible and you want to send him down or DFA him or whatever, then you have lost nothing.

Sorry, you can say all other teams didn't go after him...First of all, that is a bit much to say since he really is only an AL player...Also, it is early in the season and many teams don't have open spots.

The Orioles have the at bats to give him, denying that is beyond naive.

Not taking a chance on him and seeing what he can do is totally indefensible and beyond stupid.

Go ahead, find another reason to praise the Orioles.

We are trotting out a lineup that is pathetic...We are terrible at almost every position....Not giving this guy a chance is stupid.

If you sign him, give him 100 at bats and he looks totally terrible and you want to send him down or DFA him or whatever, then you have lost nothing.

Sorry, you can say all other teams didn't go after him...First of all, that is a bit much to say since he really is only an AL player...Also, it is early in the season and many teams don't have open spots.

The Orioles have the at bats to give him, denying that is beyond naive.

He is a AAAA player who should try and play in Japan. The scouts see this and AM hears this...thus the decision to not take a chance.

He is a AAAA player who should try and play in Japan. The scouts see this and AM hears this...thus the decision to not take a chance.

And he is completely wrong in not doing so...He gave a chance to Luis Hernandez, who isn't even a AAA player...He is giving a chance to Torres, who isn't a AAA player.

To say we don't have at bats for Botts is just flat out dumb.

And he is completely wrong in not doing so...He gave a chance to Luis Hernandez, who isn't even a AAA player...He is giving a chance to Torres, who isn't a AAA player.

To say we don't have at bats for Botts is just flat out dumb.

I don't think Botts could play a decent 2B/SS :scratchchinhmm:

How many of those teams have a "cleanup" hitter with stats as inept as Millar? The guy has shown year in and year out that he can hit in the minor leagues. Yet, from 282 ABs you know unequivocally he can't hit a fastball. He's played in a grand total of 93 games at the big league level. I find it absolutely mind boggling that people feel like he has no chance of contributing at the ML level. Sure, just ignore his 874 OPS in 3000+ minor league ABs for his mediocre performance in 282 ML ABs. I'm sorry, but that makes no sense to me.

How many of those teams have a "cleanup" hitter with stats as inept as Millar? The guy has shown year in and year out that he can hit in the minor leagues. Yet, from 282 ABs you know unequivocally he can't hit a fastball. He's played in a grand total of 93 games at the big league level. I find it absolutely mind boggling that people feel like he has no chance of contributing at the ML level. Sure, just ignore his 874 OPS in 3000+ minor league ABs for his mediocre performance in 282 ML ABs. I'm sorry, but that makes no sense to me.

But VaTech saw him a few times and clearly that means he can't hit! :rolleyes:

This is a 300 post thread and not person has posted any kind of legit reason why we shouldn't give this guy a chance.

I don't care if scouts think he sucks...We should still give him a chance..You don't do what he has done in the minors and not have some kind of talent.

On our pathetic offensive team, not giving guys like this, guys YOU CAN HAVE FOR FREE, is a complete and utter joke.

Let me introduce you to this guy named Jon Knott and his career .891 OPS

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/K/Jon-Knott.shtml

BTW, bringing up LH in relation to Botts is silly and you know it. Botts has ONE skill only - he hits. If teams don't think he can do that in the majors, he has zero value. LH can't hit a lick, but that isn't why he is on a roster. It is apples and oranges and you know it. Also, there is nobody at SS for us. LH was the ONLY option except for Fahey, who is just as bad. We have three players who are better than Botts at the positions he could play.

Oh ok..I forgot, LH has more than one skill. :rolleyes:

Let me introduce you to this guy named Jon Knott and his career .891 OPS

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/K/Jon-Knott.shtml

Naming another player who has never been given a chance doesn't really prove that Botts (or Knott for that matter) couldn't help this team. Why in the world are people so adamantly against taking a flier on a guy who mashes in the minor leagues, has never gotten a chance at the ML level, costs nothing, and would only take the spot of an incompetent player? It's not like we're talking about dealing a top prospect for him. He was free...What in the world would it hurt?

Well, it makes sense to me. I've argued for years that minor league stats don't translate for everybody and Jason Botts is a perfect example. I've watched him play.

He hasn't really had enough ABs to make that judgment, has he? Seeing as I don't know your credentials, I'll stick with the stats for now.

Naming another player who has never been given a chance doesn't really prove that Botts (or Knott for that matter) couldn't help this team. Why in the world are people so adamantly against taking a flier on a guy who mashes in the minor leagues, has never gotten a chance at the ML level, costs nothing, and would only take the spot of an incompetent player? It's not like we're talking about dealing a top prospect for him. He was free...What in the world would it hurt?

Dude...he would've taken at bats away from Millar...and we'll have none of that! :D

I don't know if Botts will amount to anything. He could very well be a AAAA guy who may not amount to anything in the majors. He could, however, be a role player on a good team if he got regular at bats. Right now we don't have a first base prospect anywhere in the system. What would've been the harm in claiming this guy? We could've dropped McCrory back to AAA, put Botts on the team and stick the guy in the lineup for a month. Like SG said, if he looks lost, then you DFA him after the month.

Be rude if you want, but I stand by my opinion and I've explained why I have that opinion clearly. Nobody has attempted to discredit my main points. If you'd like to debate them, we can.

First of all, my apologies on being a jerk there.

Secondly, as FLK said, there is no reason not to give the guy a chance and why people are so against getting a guy like this FOR FREE is beyond me.

You should really put "in your opinion" at the end of these type of sentences. There have been plenty of legitimate posts explaining why people don't think he will ever hit in the majors in this thread.

Sorry but there hasn't been any legit reasons why we SHOULDN'T GIVE HIM A CHANCE!

I am not saying he is going to hit...I have no idea...What I am saying is it is completely stupid not to out the claim in on him, play him 3+ times a week and see what he can do.

There is NO REASON not to do that.

Archived