How would everyone like to see our draft go?

Where we are as an organization many of us want to pull for a SS because of the absolute lack of talent there, but we are so thin across the board that it really doesn't matter who we take, because who, besides Weiters is there to block them?

It just so happens that there are two really good SS in this draft.

It just so happens that there are two really good SS in this draft.

You are right there, the fuzzy part, like Stotle said, is that is the 2nd one a better SS than Hosmer or Smoak are a 1B, Alvarez a 3B or Matusz or Crow a SP?

I personally like GBeck, but I also like some of those other guys too. Really, no matter who we end up with out of that group we should be fine, but I'd really hate to see them take Gordon, and then decide his Cape league show was for real in the sense that he will make a lot of errors, and decide to move him to another position where at that position he would be a 2nd or 3rd round choice. (Brandon Snyder comes to mind, great as a catcher, not a 1st rounder as a 1B).

I just asked Bryan Smith of Baseball Prospectus in his chat today the following:

Mike (Jax, FL): Thanks for the long chat Bryan. If Matusz is available at 4, do you think the O's might pass him because of the lack of positional prospects in their system (especially when compared to their pitching prospects)?

Bryan Smith: I think it would come down to who else was available. I can't really guess at whether Matusz or Gordon Beckham is higher on their board. I think the O's do like lefties quite a bit, and it's hard to find a more polished one. However, Beckham and Alvarez would be pretty intriguing for the reason you mention. I think the only way they pass up Matusz -- assuming T. Beckham and Alvarez are off the board -- would be if they value Gordon Beckham more.

I just asked Bryan Smith of Baseball Prospectus in his chat today the following:

Mike (Jax, FL): Thanks for the long chat Bryan. If Matusz is available at 4, do you think the O's might pass him because of the lack of positional prospects in their system (especially when compared to their pitching prospects)?

Bryan Smith: I think it would come down to who else was available. I can't really guess at whether Matusz or Gordon Beckham is higher on their board. I think the O's do like lefties quite a bit, and it's hard to find a more polished one. However, Beckham and Alvarez would be pretty intriguing for the reason you mention. I think the only way they pass up Matusz -- assuming T. Beckham and Alvarez are off the board -- would be if they value Gordon Beckham more.

Thanks. As if this day wasn't running bad already..... :eek:

I would love a pitcher in the first, either Matusz or Crow.

As for the second and third, I'd like to see Ike Davis and Scott Gorgen

Do you have any info on Davis and Gorgen, am asking out of ignorance b/c I haven't seen their names mentioned. What positions do they play, college or HS, projections.

Do you have any info on Davis and Gorgen, am asking out of ignorance b/c I haven't seen their names mentioned. What positions do they play, college or HS, projections.

Ike Davis is an OF/1B on the Arizona State team. Gorgen is a pitcher on UC Irvine.

I believe Davis is closing this year also for ASU, but that's not entirely unusual for college (Buster Posey is closing as well, and Weiters did so also.).

Gorgen helped get the Anteaters to Omaha last year. He only throws about 89-90, so he's a control type guy.

Davis is a big bat who might project to be a first baseman at higher levels, but possibly a servicable OF.

We should take the best player available. Hopefully one of the top college hitters will be there. Quicker rise to MLB and less likely to get injured. Pitchers are always a higher risk but sometimes you have to gamble. Let's hope the college hitter is there at #4. I think we will get Smoak. Just a hunch. Most teams today are going for pitchers because teams know you have to have quality pitching if you are going to win.

My #4 pick in order of preference

Alvarez or Smoak

Matusz

Crow

I think the first four picks will be T. Beckham, Matusz, Crow and #4 Alvarez or Smoak. Alvarez has not hit well since breaking a bone in his hand to start the season. I am starting to lean towards Smoak. We need power badly and he is having a great season at SC.

Smoak is 6'4" at 215 lbs and is lefthanded. Currently in 48 games is hitting .401 with 19 HRS, 55 RBI'S and 44 walks. Very impressive hitter and only 22 strikeouts which is good for a power hitter. There is no guarantee we will sign Teixeira for 2009 and we definitely need first basemen in our minor league system. If he produces he can alternate between DH and 1B.

We should take the best player available. Hopefully one of the top college hitters will be there. Quicker rise to MLB and less likely to get injured. Pitchers are always a higher risk but sometimes you have to gamble. Let's hope the college hitter is there at #4. I think we will get Smoak. Just a hunch. Most teams today are going for pitchers because teams know you have to have quality pitching if you are going to win.

My #4 pick in order of preference

Alvarez or Smoak

Matusz

Crow

I think the first four picks will be T. Beckham, Matusz, Crow and #4 Alvarez or Smoak. Alvarez has not hit well since breaking a bone in his hand to start the season. I am starting to lean towards Smoak. We need power badly and he is having a great season at SC.

Smoak is 6'4" at 215 lbs and is lefthanded. Currently in 48 games is hitting .401 with 19 HRS, 55 RBI'S and 44 walks. Very impressive hitter and only 22 strikeouts which is good for a power hitter. There is no guarantee we will sign Teixeira for 2009 and we definitely need first basemen in our minor league system. If he produces he can alternate between DH and 1B.

Smoak is a switch hitter, and a great defender, which makes him all the more valuable.

Archived