Trade deadline possibilities

ChuckS

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Orioles have continued to scout him. Of course that 2.2 inning four run performance against the Birds in May did not help.

You know it's one of those blessing in disguise. If Hector had shut us out too the price would be higher. Its a catch 22. Thats why I referred to his track record from 2011. I watch him against the Red Sox @ Fenway and he was hitting 95 on the gun which shocked me.

The title says they were on the verge but I don't see anything else conclusive. And we know nothing of the details involved, if there were any. Anything else you'd like to assume?

Aside from that, it would make sense that we'd be chasing a lefty SP but I'd be careful about making such declarations.

If you believe the article. Then Hector was/sounds like still is on the O's radar. Not sure anyone was making any declarations.

The Orioles have continued to scout him. Of course that 2.2 inning four run performance against the Birds in May did not help.

BTW .. full disclosure.. in that 2.2ip game against the O's he was ejected by the ump.

This may have been brought up weeks ago, but what about Ricky Nolasco? ERA is not pretty at 5.22 but his 4.04 FIP shows he may have been the victim of some bad luck.

Signed through next year just like Ubaldo. Making the same amount of money as Ubaldo. A swap of those players and a prospect going to the Twins sounds fair.

Cute ;).. Guess your still smarting over Shoe

I would take Shoemaker every single time over Santiago.

Just look at the peripherals:

Shoemaker: 9.0 SO/9, 2.0 BB/9, 1.2 HR/9, 1.320 WHIP

Santiago: 7.9 SO/9, 4.0 BB/9, 1.6 HR/9, 1.312 WHIP

I posted Santiago's last 10. Shoemaker's last 10 are infinitely better. I typically trust a pitcher that might get off to a rocky start but then rights the ship versus one that gets lucky early on while the hitters are still adjusting and then completely falls apart. But that's just me. :shrug:

But do you seriously trust Santiago more than Shoemaker? Why if so?

This may have been brought up weeks ago, but what about Ricky Nolasco? ERA is not pretty at 5.22 but his 4.04 FIP shows he may have been the victim of some bad luck.

Signed through next year just like Ubaldo. Making the same amount of money as Ubaldo. A swap of those players and a prospect going to the Twins sounds fair.

FIP is a dangerous thing to focus on. As an example, Jimenez has a 4.91 FIP. FIP favours pitchers that allow groundballs much more than ones that are flyball (and typically allow homers). I'm not a huge fan of FIP for that reason. It's not that great of a stat by itself.

I would take Shoemaker every single time over Santiago.

Just look at the peripherals:

Shoemaker: 9.0 SO/9, 2.0 BB/9, 1.2 HR/9, 1.320 WHIP

Santiago: 7.9 SO/9, 4.0 BB/9, 1.6 HR/9, 1.312 WHIP

I posted Santiago's last 10. Shoemaker's last 10 are infinitely better. I typically trust a pitcher that might get off to a rocky start but then rights the ship versus one that gets lucky early on while the hitters are still adjusting and then completely falls apart. But that's just me. :shrug:

But do you seriously trust Santiago more than Shoemaker? Why if so?

I don't. I'll go with peripherals and recent performance. Santiago will likely cost less since he is a FA after next year.

Archived