At what point do you stop running Bundy out there?

LookitsPuck

He never traded Hunter Harver, Dylan Bundy or Gausman when teams were calling all the time. If he were taking the short view all the time none of those guys would be on the team.

Or, he saw them as key pieces to the team while he was under contract.

Best case scenario Bundy and Harvey are both in the rotation by now.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Or, he saw them as key pieces to the team while he was under contract.

Best case scenario Bundy and Harvey are both in the rotation by now.

He could have trade them for sure things. He keeps the best prospects and uses the rest of the farm as trade bait. Its not like he has traded any top 50 rated prospects. E-Rod was rated between 59 and 89 by the three major prospect rankings. I don't think anyone else was rated that highly.

He could have trade them for sure things. He keeps the best prospects and uses the rest of the farm as trade bait. Its not like he has traded any top 50 rated prospects. E-Rod was rated between 59 and 89 by the three major prospect rankings. I don't think anyone else was rated that highly.

He still has to build a roster and pay for a team.

Even someone whose priority is winning instead of building a lasting infrastructure understands that. You don't trade away potential 1's and 2's that can be fast-laned to the majors.

To give him undue credit for not trading the types of guys that you build rotations around is a bit much.

He still has to build a roster and pay for a team.

Even someone whose priority is winning instead of building a lasting infrastructure understands that. You don't trade away potential 1's and 2's that can be fast-laned to the majors.

To give him undue credit for not trading the types of guys that you build rotations around is a bit much.

Top prospects get traded all the time, like the pitcher the Red Sox traded for Pomeranz. It's all a matter of what you're getting back and your competitive position at the time.

Top prospects get traded all the time, like the pitcher the Red Sox traded for Pomeranz. It's all a matter of what you're getting back and your competitive position at the time.

Sure, but trying to point to him not trading those three as evidence that he is concerned about the team's long term prospects is a weak argument.

Sure, but trying to point to him not trading those three as evidence that he is concerned about the team's long term prospects is a weak argument.

I think Duquette has tried to steer a middle course. He hasn't gone "all in" to try to win now, nor has he protected all of the farm assets at all costs. But honestly, I think he underrated some of the pitchers he traded away, and overrated some of the pitchers he signed who cost draft picks. I would have preferred that he steered a little more towards the "protect the farm" side than he has.

http://www.baltimorebaseball.com/2016/09/25/dylan-bundy-dont-feel-fatigued/

He says he isn't tired.

I did find this interesting.

That’s why the Orioles began him in the bullpen, and initially were limiting him to 70 innings pitched in 2016. But a combination of his effectiveness and the rotation’s struggles, opened the door for Bundy to get some starts.

And now Bundy has blown that door – and that expected innings count – to smithereens.

That was the plan and then they changed the plan. I don’t know how that works,” he said. “But yeah, I’m at what 104 (innings)?

That is the first time I have seen confirmation that a 70 IP cap was in place at any point in the season.

http://www.baltimorebaseball.com/2016/09/25/dylan-bundy-dont-feel-fatigued/

He says he isn't tired.

I did find this interesting.

That is the first time I have seen confirmation that a 70 IP cap was in place at any point in the season.

Good article and hard to not like the young man! But he does make the assumption that there is no post-season for him or just forgets that the O's might not be going a long way (which many of us also do :o ). I love his attitude and look forward to watching him pitch again today!

?Two or less starts left in the regular season. And then you get two-and-a-half months of rest, that?s the way I kind of look at it,? he said. ?You might as well go all out.?

Good article and hard to not like the young man! But he does make the assumption that there is no post-season for him or just forgets that the O's might not be going a long way (which many of us also do :o ). I love his attitude and look forward to watching him pitch again today!

?Two or less starts left in the regular season. And then you get two-and-a-half months of rest, that?s the way I kind of look at it,? he said. ?You might as well go all out.?

Shades of Cal Jr.

I think Duquette has tried to steer a middle course. He hasn't gone "all in" to try to win now, nor has he protected all of the farm assets at all costs. But honestly, I think he underrated some of the pitchers he traded away, and overrated some of the pitchers he signed who cost draft picks. I would have preferred that he steered a little more towards the "protect the farm" side than he has.

Good post. In retrospect 2014 was our year, if Machado and MW don't get hurt and Davis doesn't get suspended. I think DD would have pulled trigger on a trade for Lester with Harvey as the centerpiece.

Back to Bundy I hope he rebounds today against an NL lineup. The guy has faced the gauntlet over his last 7-10 starts. I think Bundy still has a good 12 IP in him. That would put him around 117 IP for the season. Earlier in the thread we talked about how deGrom off TJ surgery went from throwing 0 IP in 2011 to 111.1 IP in 2012, in his age 24 season. Probably the closest comp to Bundy's situation. Except that deGrom did it in A ball and Bundy is doing it in the AL East.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.cgi?id=degrom001jac

Good post. In retrospect 2014 was our year, if Machado and MW don't get hurt and Davis doesn't get suspended. I think DD would have pulled trigger on a trade for Lester with Harvey as the centerpiece.

Back to Bundy I hope he rebounds today against an NL lineup. The guy has faced the gauntlet over his last 7-10 starts. I think Bundy still has a good 12 IP in him. That would put him around 117 IP for the season. Earlier in the thread we talked about how deGrom off TJ surgery went from throwing 0 IP in 2011 to 111.1 IP in 2012, in his age 24 season. Probably the closest comp to Bundy's situation. Except that deGrom did it in A ball and Bundy is doing it in the AL East.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.cgi?id=degrom001jac

Didn't deGrom just undergo season ending surgery to move his Ulnar nerve?

Also A ball innings are seen as being a lot less stressful than major league innings.

Additionally it is hard to comp Bundy since, due to his shoulder calcification issue, he is a year further removed from TJ surgery than is the norm.

Archived