Joe Angel on the radio tomorrow

wildcard

• 6 months later...

You know how it is. Soooo subjective.

I think Joe Angel is great. But, I went to a game a couple of months ago, and talked to a guy while watching the game from the flag court in right field at OPACY. He said he doesn't listen to O's games on the radio because of how terrible Joe Angel is. That Joe doesn't talk about the game enough and always rambles off topic about all sorts of stuff.

You never know. I don't agree with the guy, but he has a right to his opinion (even if it is terribly misguided).

10 hours ago, Carllamy said:

I think Joe Angel is great. But, I went to a game a couple of months ago, and talked to a guy while watching the game from the flag court in right field at OPACY. He said he doesn't listen to O's games on the radio because of how terrible Joe Angel is. That Joe doesn't talk about the game enough and always rambles off topic about all sorts of stuff.

You never know. I don't agree with the guy, but he has a right to his opinion (even if it is terribly misguided).

Joe Angel brings me to a place few voices can....tranquil & serene. Sangfroid Joe Angel. He & Miller take me to the ballpark.

31 minutes ago, Carllamy said:

To each their I guess.  I suppose some people would rather hear something akin to Jim Hunter's calls, reading to us box scores and baseball-reference pages in between pitches.  Personally, I'll take the story teller poet Joe Angel who weaves his stories in beautifully with the action, never missing a beat or leaving you in the dark.

49 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Davis trade for me.

The trades hurt, but the voice I grew up with just meant something deeper to me. When I hear it today I'm back in my childhood...it's the only thing that really got to me on any personal level. He was welcomed in our homes every evening and then he was gone, it really bothered me when I found out he was leaving even though I was relatively young. The Davis trade was painful but the Miller effect, and I believe there is a Miller effect on those of us who grew up with him, is something deeper, it gets to me now. One word from Miller and I immediately feel robbed of some sort of comfort he delivered to my life growing up; he was phenomenal company through 9 innings of Orioles baseball. Nothing comes close imo. Unlike the players - he was watching the story unfold through our eyes, he had a special presence. He was like an uncle, he was a calm voice that removed distraction and helped you fall in love with baseball again every night. If my parents were fighting or something negative happened, I always knew John Miller would be there watching the O's with me. There was something cathartic about it. Once in a lifetime announcer. I loved knowing no other teams heard that voice when they tuned in to their games, he was a source of comfort and pride for a young cumberbundy.

24 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I hated losing Miller too.    Joe Angel does a really fine job, though, and learned a lot from working with Miller (four years together as the Orioles' broadcast team and one year together with the Giants).

I know I'm in the minority, but I think I prefer Angel to Miller.  Miller's great, but I find him a bit dry whereas I can smile along with Angel most anytime.  And, I know that neither of them have much control in this department, but I think I just prefer the tonal qualities of Angel's voice to Miller's.  Each to their own, though.  Baltimore has been very fortunate with their radio broadcast for a very long time.

Archived