Scouting Aberdeen 6/26, Vespi start

Luke-OH

I watched the game on MILB.tv and made a few notes on what I saw.  This was my first time seeing most of the players, so I don't want to jump to any conclusions based on one look.

Position Players

Chris Johnson (3B) - rehabbing, looked terrible, was fooled badly by breaking balls.  

Nichting (CF) - loose swing, but not much strength, looked smooth in center but wasn't tested, made one strong throw.

Tristan Graham (RF) - didn't look like a pro player, the swing is ugly and long, swung at junk, dropped an easy fly ball, made a terrible throw, just an awful game and with that swing I don't know how it's going to get much better.

Jean Carrillo (C) - had a quick release and an accurate throw to get a caught stealing, also made a strong throw behind a runner that almost picked him off, swings hard at the plate, fairly long swing, blocked some tough balls but let a few get by (in his defense, the Aberdeen pitchers were all over the place).

Seamus Curran (1B) - Big dude, swing looks pretty easy, hit a ball to the warning track in center on a pitch he was fooled on, made a nice little play catching a pop up in foul territory right up against the wall.

Breazeale (DH today, C) - Interesting early leg kick at the plate, he lifts his foot really early, but it seems to work for him, decent bat speed, looks like he has good bat to ball skills and also took a close pitch for a walk, made a dumb baserunning error, was generally too aggressive on the bases (he's not fast), does look like he has room to get a little stronger, first impression is the bat could be promising for a senior sign.

Jarret (LF) - Covers decent ground once he gets going, saw a lot of pitches, physically maxed in all likely-hood, doesn't seem as athletic as a guy with has build and musculature should be.

Becker (2B) - a couple of nice picks and tags at 2B, Buck would be proud, I missed the double he hit, but he looks like a player, smooth athlete, I'm intrigued

McCoy (SS) - not much to say, no tough fielding plays, looks like a contact oriented swing, but didn't impress, need to see more.

#45 (C) - The announcers didn't have the player's name, and he's not on the roster yet.  Got an AB against Pinder (Yankee pitcher on rehab assignment) and smacked a double off the wall. Maybe Luke Ringhofer?

Pitchers (The camera angle wasn't good for scouting pitchers, it was hard to tell what pitches were being thrown)

Vespi (SP) - lefty with no idea where the ball was going, didn't get hit hard but I wasn't impressed, absolutely terrible pick off move, like I could jump on the mound and do a better job

Rios (RP) - another lefty, turns away from hitters during the wind-up, big leg kick, lots of deception, but also probably leads to his control issues, when he's in the stretch he's very slow to the plate.

Joe Johnson (RP) - righty, true submariner, I like the delivery and I think he has a future in a big league bullpen, that said, he didn't have control today, did get a nice K against a LH hitter by bringing the ball under his hands (it looks like neither handed batters pick up the ball well)

1 hour ago, phillyOs119 said:

I watched the game on MILB.tv and made a few notes on what I saw.  This was my first time seeing most of the players, so I don't want to jump to any conclusions based on one look.

Position Players

Chris Johnson (3B) - rehabbing, looked terrible, was fooled badly by breaking balls.  

Nichting (CF) - loose swing, but not much strength, looked smooth in center but wasn't tested, made one strong throw.

Tristan Graham (RF) - didn't look like a pro player, the swing is ugly and long, swung at junk, dropped an easy fly ball, made a terrible throw, just an awful game and with that swing I don't know how it's going to get much better.

Jean Carrillo (C) - had a quick release and an accurate throw to get a caught stealing, also made a strong throw behind a runner that almost picked him off, swings hard at the plate, fairly long swing, blocked some tough balls but let a few get by (in his defense, the Aberdeen pitchers were all over the place).

Seamus Curran (1B) - Big dude, swing looks pretty easy, hit a ball to the warning track in center on a pitch he was fooled on, made a nice little play catching a pop up in foul territory right up against the wall.

Breazeale (DH today, C) - Interesting early leg kick at the plate, he lifts his foot really early, but it seems to work for him, decent bat speed, looks like he has good bat to ball skills and also took a close pitch for a walk, made a dumb baserunning error, was generally too aggressive on the bases (he's not fast), does look like he has room to get a little stronger, first impression is the bat could be promising for a senior sign.

Jarret (LF) - Covers decent ground once he gets going, saw a lot of pitches, physically maxed in all likely-hood, doesn't seem as athletic as a guy with has build and musculature should be.

Becker (2B) - a couple of nice picks and tags at 2B, Buck would be proud, I missed the double he hit, but he looks like a player, smooth athlete, I'm intrigued

McCoy (SS) - not much to say, no tough fielding plays, looks like a contact oriented swing, but didn't impress, need to see more.

#45 (C) - The announcers didn't have the player's name, and he's not on the roster yet.  Got an AB against Pinder (Yankee pitcher on rehab assignment) and smacked a double off the wall. Maybe Luke Ringhofer?

Pitchers (The camera angle wasn't good for scouting pitchers, it was hard to tell what pitches were being thrown)

Vespi (SP) - lefty with no idea where the ball was going, didn't get hit hard but I wasn't impressed, absolutely terrible pick off move, like I could jump on the mound and do a better job

Rios (RP) - another lefty, turns away from hitters during the wind-up, big leg kick, lots of deception, but also probably leads to his control issues, when he's in the stretch he's very slow to the plate.

Joe Johnson (RP) - righty, true submariner, I like the delivery and I think he has a future in a big league bullpen, that said, he didn't have control today, did get a nice K against a LH hitter by bringing the ball under his hands (it looks like neither handed batters pick up the ball well)

HHP Thanks

I also went back and watched some players of interest in the 6/24 and 6/25 games and wanted to add a couple things.

Becker is a guy I'm going to follow, he pulled his hands in and smacked an inside fastball for a homerun. He also confidently charged a softly hit ball while he was playing 3rd base, fielded it cleanly and made a strong throw for the out. They have been playing him at 3B and 2B, I know he played some SS last year and I'd like to see him there. Even just watching a couple games, he jumps out to me as the most interesting position player that I saw.

Bonilla has a crazy delivery. It's straight over the top, it looks like a windmill. I don't know if I've ever seen anything like it. It doesn't looklike he uses his lower half as much as he could.  He seems to have a lot of intensity on the mound, bulldog mentality. It was hard to classify pitches from the camera angle, but it appeared  like he was filling up the strike zone with his fastball and hitters were having a lot of trouble with it. He also tried some breaking balls as chase pitches, but they were missing by too much.  I wouldn't be surprised if he can dominate the NY/Penn league with just a fastball, it'll be interesting to see how fast they move him if he has success.

6 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Becker (2015, 17th round) certainly didn't do a lot in the GCL the last two years, but I'm glad to hear he looks like he can play.   Maybe he's growing into it.

Yeah, the stats were bad last year. I could be fooled but he looks like a player to me.

• 1 month later...
1 minute ago, Ruzious said:

Did Tommy Bahama design their uniforms?  What's up with that?  

Btw, anything new of Seamus Curran?  he slumped in early July and hasn't played in a while.  Injury?  

Fractured his leg, I think.   Out for the year.

20 hours ago, Ruzious said:

Did Tommy Bahama design their uniforms?  What's up with that?  

Btw, anything new of Seamus Curran?  he slumped in early July and hasn't played in a while.  Injury?  

Fractured knee cap and high ankle sprain. He is on the rehab road

Archived