Deadline Deal Orioles Mega-Thread

weams

1 hour ago, NCRaven said:

I think we're likely to be over estimating the value of Manny Machado at this point in time.  Unless a team has a very specific need at 3B or SS, there is little reason to give up the house for Machado with only one third of the season left.  A starting pitcher or even an elite relief pitcher like Britton is likely to have more value in a stretch drive and the playoffs than any one position player.  

In general, I'd debate this.    The player who is most valuable (or maybe better said, the biggest upgrade) over a full season is also the most valuable/biggest upgrade over the final third of a season or in the playoffs.     If Manny plays like the 5-7 WAR player that he's been in the past, that's a bigger upgrade than any reliever can be, and all but the most elite starters.      The only caveat I'll give is that the value of pitchers goes up maybe 20-30% in the playoffs because the off-days allow the team to use them in a higher percentage of games than in the regular season.    

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Frobby said:

In general, I'd debate this.    The player who is most valuable (or maybe better said, the biggest upgrade) over a full season is also the most valuable/biggest upgrade over the final third of a season or in the playoffs.     If Manny plays like the 5-7 WAR player that he's been in the past, that's a bigger upgrade than any reliever can be, and all but the most elite starters.      The only caveat I'll give is that the value of pitchers goes up maybe 20-30% in the playoffs because the off-days allow the team to use them in a higher percentage of games than in the regular season.    

That would of course depend on whom he was replacing.  

6 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

That would of course depend on whom he was replacing.  

Yes, and same with the pitchers.   But I'm just debating the general proposition that a great closer or good starting pitcher is more valuable than a great position player in the final third of the season or in the playoffs.   

Obviously we want the best player, but we're not the 76ers.  We don't need 4 PF's or 4 1B/DH types.  Schwarber and Calhoun don't fit.  We already have Davis, Trumbo and Mancini.  

Ideally we need SP, SP and SP.  

Let's face it.  We're trading 1.4 years of Mariano Rivera.  We're getting back guys like Buehler, Verdugo, Alvarez, Robles, Honeywell etc....  

LA has a ton of pressure on them to win.  They could win 110 games and it mean nothing if they don't win a WS.  Britton is their Durant.  They don't need him for the regular season, but they do to win it all.  

3 hours ago, webbrick2010 said:

We'll ride Manny thru the end of the 2018 season, and collect a comp pick. It's the way this team rolls (off the cliff).

What's wrong with that? You get manny for 1.5 years and a first round pick.

Everyone on here acts like we're going to get a ton for Brach/Britton. If we can get an EROD type, I'm for trading them but the White Sox just traded two relievers who are almost as good as Brach and Britton AND Frazier and basically got one guy of value - a former first round pick who is hitting .290 in A ball.

Doesn't that trade hurt the Orioles? Seems like the Sox barely got anything and it resets the value of relievers.

1 minute ago, Rojo13 said:

Everyone on here acts like we're going to get a ton for Brach/Britton. If we can get an EROD type, I'm for trading them but the White Sox just traded two relievers who are almost as good as Brach and Britton AND Frazier and basically got one guy of value - a former first round pick who is hitting .290 in A ball.

Doesn't that trade hurt the Orioles? Seems like the Sox barely got anything and it resets the value of relievers.

And I'm almost dating Kate Upton.  

4 minutes ago, Rojo13 said:

It helps.  It takes two relievers off the market to a team we're not likely to deal with anyway.  The supply is down, the demand remains.

29 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Obviously we want the best player, but we're not the 76ers.  We don't need 4 PF's or 4 1B/DH types.  Schwarber and Calhoun don't fit.  We already have Davis, Trumbo and Mancini.  

Ideally we need SP, SP and SP.  

Let's face it.  We're trading 1.4 years of Mariano Rivera.  We're getting back guys like Buehler, Verdugo, Alvarez, Robles, Honeywell etc....  

LA has a ton of pressure on them to win.  They could win 110 games and it mean nothing if they don't win a WS.  Britton is their Durant.  They don't need him for the regular season, but they do to win it all.  

They have enough SP prospects in their top 30 to make a deal.

Alvarez is still the higher rated prospect, hits 100MPH and had 3 plus pitches.

They can afford to give up the player, Buehler, who better fits the Orioles.

Buehler, White, Sheffield/May, & Heredia/Drew Jackson/Brenden Davis (pick your poison)

Buehler would be the only Top 100 guy

1 minute ago, Roll Tide said:

They have enough SP prospects in their top 30 to make a deal.

Alvarez is still the higher rated prospect, hits 100MPH and had 3 plus pitches.

They can afford to give up the player, Buehler, who better fits the Orioles.

Buehler, White, Sheffield/May, & Heredia/Drew Jackson/Brenden Davis (pick your poison)

Buehler would be the only Top 100 guy

I made the same mistake too.  Those were preseason rankings.  Buehler has shot up.  

http://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/2017-midseason-top-100-prospects-july-7/

Buehler #17, Alvarez #60

People think Alvarez might end up just as a reliever.  

3 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I made the same mistake too.  Those were preseason rankings.  Buehler has shot up.  

http://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/2017-midseason-top-100-prospects-july-7/

Buehler #17, Alvarez #60

People think Alvarez might end up just as a reliever.  

Don't care about the midseason rankings! When the trade was done with Chapman they used the April rankings. Alvarez has better stuff if he can harness his control. If Alvarez does end up being a closer he's likely the next Chapman.

Either way we re still only getting 1 player in the top 100 prospects.

Just now, Roll Tide said:

Don't care about the midseason rankings! When the trade was done with Chapman they used the April rankings. Alvarez has better stuff if he can harness his control. If Alvarez does end up being a closer he's likely the next Chapman.

Even when it was debated on ESPN they were sure the primary target was Buehler. It makes too much sense for the O's and Dodgers if they want to cement themselves as favorites to go to the World Series and as mentioned they could deal him in the offseason for close to the same return.

2 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

I can't tell if you're being serious.  You know Walker Buehler had only pitched 5 professional innings before the season started?

https://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.fcgi?id=buehle000wal

5 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I can't tell if you're being serious.  You know Walker Buehler had only pitched 5 professional innings before the season started?

https://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.fcgi?id=buehle000wal

I am serious that Buehler is the player I think the Orioles (should) want! I think Britton returns 4 guys and I'd be happy with Buehler & White as my 1 and 2. If they can get Alvarez and Buehler great.

Archived