Deadline Deal Orioles Mega-Thread

weams

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, Babypowder said:

He's a ground ball AND strikeout guy. His strikeout rate has been around 30 percent 2015-2016. It's only 15 percent right now. His FIP had been below 2, it's above 3. He has a 1.81 WHIP, which has previously been well below 1. His ground ball rate is 68 percent, it's normally ~80 percent. His hard contact rate in 2016 was 14.8 percent, it's 29.6 now. His swinging strike rate has dropped from 17 percent to 11 percent.

These numbers can turn around quickly because it is such a short sample, but his performance so far in 2017 has some early caution flags for people looking to acquire him.

According to Joel Sherman, opposing team's scouts agree with your assessment.

“Britton is such a red flag for me,” said a scout from a team that badly wants to add top-flight relief. “Your medical people are going to earn every dollar if you agree to a trade for him. He is just not consistent. I am not sure if it is elbow or the fact that he missed two months and needs time to get consistent.

“But what scares me is the Orioles gave him all the time he needed to get healthy, gave him plenty of rehab outings and I am watching a guy who just pounded the bottom of the strike zone last year and now the ball is spraying all over the place too often.”

http://nypost.com/2017/07/21/scared-teams-running-from-zach-britton-blockbuster/

The Orioles would be best served to hold onto Britton until the end of the season and then trade him in the off-season unless they believe he's going to continue to pitch poorly and tank his trade value. 

7 hours ago, LookitsPuck said:

My point is you have a guy that converts over 100 saves in 2 years and you salary dump him and get Jemile Weeks for him? 

It's just a consistent trend. Letting guys walk and getting little to nothing in return rather than selling high.

No. We got a lot of of Johnson. We got 101 saves and then didn't have to pay him to be a disaster. Duquette's handling of Johnson should be viewed as one of his biggest accomplishments. Seriously, to know that a guy who had 51 saves a 2.93 ERA wasn't worth squat saved us  $10 million that we could use elsewhere.

Just like letting Wei-Ye Chen go was a great  move as well.

3 hours ago, ISU94 said:

O perez?

I don't think Whitley moves. I think I heard that he is untouchable. Like Martes is more likely to move then him.

I didn't include Martes because he is on their MLB roster. He has a 3.00 era in July as mostly a reliever. Sorry meant C Perez.

http://m.mlb.com/prospects/2017?list=hou

2 hours ago, bpilktree said:

Fisher, Martes and Moran would be what I ask for.  Doubt they bit one that but that is what I start with.

Tucker and Fisher are pretty close, but Tucker(#27)has a better arm and outfield defense. 

Since I'd two top 50 id take Martes (#15),Tucker (#27), and Moran (Not Ranked)

If I am taking Martes (15), Fisher (#69) , Moran (NR), I'd also want Alcala (NR)

or 

Tucker (27), Whitley (70), Moran (NR), and Alcala (NR)

1 minute ago, Roll Tide said:

I didn't include Martes because he is on their MLB roster. He has a 3.00 era in July as mostly a reliever. Sorry meant C Perez.

http://m.mlb.com/prospects/2017?list=hou

Tucker and Fisher are pretty close, but Tucker(#27)has a better arm and outfield defense. 

Since I'd two top 50 id take Martes (#15),Tucker (#27), and Moran (Not Ranked)

If I am taking Martes (15), Fisher (#69) , Moran (NR), I'd also want Alcala (NR)

or 

Tucker (27), Whitley (70), Moran (NR), and Alcala (NR)

Moran has been viewed as a top 100 prospect several times before in his career and has mashed in AAA this year. He may not be ranked but I wouldn't knock him too hard because of it...he's been ready since last year but he's blocked. 

1 minute ago, ISU94 said:

Moran has been viewed as a top 100 prospect several times before in his career and has mashed in AAA this year. He may not be ranked but I wouldn't knock him too hard because of it...he's been ready since last year but he's blocked. 

If I didn't like him he wouldn't be in my deal and he's in all 4 proposals. I'm trying to do close to Chapman plus extra for the extra year. I think any of these represent fair value. I most like the deals with Tucker 

1 minute ago, Roll Tide said:

If I didn't like him he wouldn't be in my deal and he's in all 4 proposals. I'm trying to do close to Chapman plus extra for the extra year. I think any of these represent fair value. I most like the deals with Tucker 

I mean, if Tucker or Martes are involved that pretty much matches/close to matches the whole Gleyber and where he was when they acquired him. If we get Fisher or Franklin Perez or another top 100/near top 100 guy than that imo trumps the Yankees deal for Aroldis right there. If we get another solid prospect/piece like Moran than I think that'd be a pretty good haul. Not saying we're trading him at a discount or the deal I'm talking would be, but gotta remember this trade is not of the record breaking year he was having last year. I think if we come away with Tucker/Martes (I do think Martes would be on the table and don't believe he factors in much to their mlb plans for this year with Peacock heading back to the pen when McHugh is activated), a guy like Fisher/Franklin Perez/etc., and Moran we came out very good. The main piece are guys that are close to being able to help now, the 2nd piece is either a piece close to helping or a very good prospect that is somewhat established, and Moran can come here and play 3B and we could move Manny to SS immediately. 

Honestly, that is like an ideal return right there. Not sure if we get that, but I wouldn't need another upside piece in that to make me happy. I'd happily take it, but I don't see us getting better than the package listed there. 

The Dodgers committed more than $150 million in bonuses, guaranteed salaries and overage tax for players on the international market in the 2015-16 period

From Alvarez writeup in Dodgers top prospect list.  The O's can't even sign the allowed amount of international prospects for every team. 

http://m.mlb.com/prospects/2017?list=la

1 hour ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

The Dodgers committed more than $150 million in bonuses, guaranteed salaries and overage tax for players on the international market in the 2015-16 period

From Alvarez writeup in Dodgers top prospect list.  The O's can't even sign the allowed amount of international prospects for every team. 

http://m.mlb.com/prospects/2017?list=la

That is very true. The won't. They do not wish to. 

J.J. Hardy, Orioles | $14MM in 2017; $14MM club option ($2MM buyout) in 2018

The veteran isn’t a deadline option, as he’s currently on the DL. And odds are he won’t be one in August, either, though he’ll easily clear waivers after opening the year with a .211/.248/.308 batting line.

MLBTR

As will Davis, Trumbo, Miley, and O'Day.

16 hours ago, LookitsPuck said:

Duquette's handling of Jim Johnson was beyond idiotic.

So, after a season in which the O's made the playoffs for the first time in 15 years, and Johnson saved 51 of 54 games, it was "beyond idiotic" not to trade him? You aren't living in the real world.

Didn't see this previously, but Roch mentioned this AM that the Braves are checking in on Britton, too. The more teams the better, obviously, as I'm concerned the injury and the numbers are going to drive down his value. We really, really could use a couple classic Britton outings in the next couple days.

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2017/07/more-on-jimenez-the-rotation-brittons-market-and-tonights-game.html

12 minutes ago, ReclaimTheCrown said:

Didn't see this previously, but Roch mentioned this AM that the Braves are checking in on Britton, too. The more teams the better, obviously, as I'm concerned the injury and the numbers are going to drive down his value. We really, really could use a couple classic Britton outings in the next couple days.

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2017/07/more-on-jimenez-the-rotation-brittons-market-and-tonights-game.html

With our luck, he'll blow the next couple save opportunities and end any chance of getting a nice package of players in return. 

Roch

“I try not to dwell on it and keep in mind what my job is,” he said. “Dan (Duquette) has been kind of holed up working. I haven’t seen Dan for three or four days, but he’s there and he’s working and I have a lot of respect for what’s going on this time of year. It’s kind of like being locked up in a cave. You kind of shut out the outside world for a couple weeks, trying to keep your thoughts on everything.

“I trust him and I’d like to think he trusts me. This is hard, so we keep pushing.”

Archived