Dan says no extension talks with Schoop or Gausman, reporters don't bother to ask why

interloper

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

I’m surprised Dan didn’t volunteer an, “I’ve advised ownership...” line again to keep his deniability.

Really, though, even if reporters were doing their job I doubt the follow-up gathers much more info.

You have to ....admire (?) his team-first attitude  His tenure over the past few years has almost guaranteed he won't work at this level in MLB again.  Just a few months ago we thought he was gone to Toronto.  Now hes either here until he retires or unemployed.  You'd have to expect at some point he'd throw some comments around about what he has to deal with, the restrictions, the hand thats been dealt etc.  Or maybe he doesn't know what hes doing.  I hope thats not the answer.  

Just now, MikeAD said:

You have to ....admire (?) his team-first attitude  His tenure over the past few years has almost guaranteed he won't work at this level in MLB again.  Just a few months ago we thought he was gone to Toronto.  Now hes either here until he retires or unemployed.  You'd have to expect at some point he'd throw some comments around about what he has to deal with, the restrictions, the hand thats been dealt etc.  Or maybe he doesn't know what hes doing.  I hope thats not the answer.  

I don't hate Duquette, but it sure seems like any goodwill he earned by garnering some GM of the year votes and taking the O's to the playoffs has certainly dissolved by now.

If you listen to the MASN Facebook interview (around the 8:30 mark), Dan is asked about a Schoop extension, which he kind of dodges around saying that "Jon Schoop's agent is Kevin Gausman's agent so I've spent a lot of time with him recently and actually had a good dialogue with him about both players. And, you know, we got asked at Fanfest if Manny would take a discount if Jon Schoop signed , if it was a package deal."

While that doesn't sound like anything's close, it also dismisses the idea that the Orioles are unwilling to give Schoop an extension at this point.

9 minutes ago, TonySoprano said:

If you listen to the MASN Facebook interview (around the 8:30 mark), Dan is asked about a Schoop extension, which he kind of dodges around saying that "Jon Schoop's agent is Kevin Gausman's agent so I've spent a lot of time with him recently and actually had a good dialogue with him about both players. And, you know, we got asked at Fanfest if Manny would take a discount if Jon Schoop signed , if it was a package deal."

While that doesn't sound like anything's close, it also dismisses the idea that the Orioles are unwilling to give Schoop an extension at this point.

9 minutes ago, TonySoprano said:

Sounds to me both Manny and Schoop's agents aren't interested in extensions. Bu t of course it'a all Dan's fault.

1 hour ago, interloper said:

Reporters: Dan, any extension talks?

Dan: Nope.

Reporters: Cool, I don't have any follow ups to that completely baffling answer. It doesn't feel like it needs more explanation than that at all. We're done here! 

Would you actually expect Duquette to answer a “why” question?

1 minute ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

Maybe this is Dan's way of shoving it to the Angelos family. You won't give me an extension so why should I concern myself with extending any of these players? Someone else can deal with the mess when I'm gone.

Except this is pretty much how they have done business under Angelos.

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I wasn't only talking about sports reporting but whatever.

You, and others, were putting the expectation of tough or probing follow-up questions on a sports reporter..but whatever.  What would be gained by putting Dan on the spot?  He's not going to kick the buck to ownership.   My point, which Frobby echoed, remains the same.

Archived