Schoop, Gausman, and Bundy Trade Expectations

ISU94

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My expectations are that all of these guys are on our roster come August 1.

I don’t think Peter is capable of admitting that we’re done for 2019 already.   Make no mistake, we are.   But hope is a powerful drug that can delude the masses.....or the owner.

3 minutes ago, Aglets said:

I don’t think Peter is capable of admitting that we’re done for 2019 already.   Make no mistake, we are.   But hope is a powerful drug that can delude the masses.....or the owner.

Gotta think even PA can't deny how crappy this team is.  

23 minutes ago, Aglets said:

I agree that we probably won't trade these guys, but if Peter is indeed no longer cogent, then I think there's a much higher chance that we do.

7 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

We’d be selling low on Schoop and Givens. For Bundy and Gausman, I’d like to see us put a major league defense behind them and see if they perform better to be traded this time next year. 

Schoop is due for some regression to his historic norms.  In his case, regression is a good thing.  He's been better since they sat him down a few weeks ago.  Scouts watching him now are not seeing the same guy who sucked earlier in the year.  I think that could still provide a decent return

In Givens case, they're trading for three years of control.  Having said that, I'm not expecting a huge return anyway.

1 minute ago, NCRaven said:

Schoop is due for some regression to his historic norms.  In his case, regression is a good thing.  He's been better since they sat him down a few weeks ago.  Scouts watching him now are not seeing the same guy who sucked earlier in the year.  I think that could still provide a decent return

In Givens case, they're trading for three years of control.  Having said that, I'm not expecting a huge return anyway.

Is Givens really that messed up?   I mean the guy's been pretty dominant for the last few years.  I look at the first half of this season as the anomaly.    I would think he'd be pretty valuable with the service time.

6 minutes ago, clapdiddy said:

Is Givens really that messed up?   I mean the guy's been pretty dominant for the last few years.  I look at the first half of this season as the anomaly.    I would think he'd be pretty valuable with the service time.

I don't think he's messed up long-term.  But he's not been reliable lately.  The control is huge.  I think we can make a good trade, but it won't be Christmas in July good.

26 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

We’d be selling low on Schoop and Givens. For Bundy and Gausman, I’d like to see us put a major league defense behind them and see if they perform better to be traded this time next year. 

I think that's a really smart plan... Unless someone blows us away (Rodgers-plus for Schoop, say)... we could net a much bigger haul at next year's trade deadline. The only reason not to would be that it somewhat delays a total rebuild, which I'm fine with. Do it smart. Don't get caught up in the "spring cleaning" mentality... lest we throw all the babies out with the bathwater. (Can I wedge in another analogy?)

2 minutes ago, Bradysburns said:

I think that's a really smart plan... Unless someone blows us away (Rodgers-plus for Schoop, say)... we could net a much bigger haul at next year's trade deadline. The only reason not to would be that it somewhat delays a total rebuild, which I'm fine with. Do it smart. Don't get caught up in the "spring cleaning" mentality... lest we throw all the babies out with the bathwater. (Can I wedge in another analogy?)

Yea, I'm sure they can get a lot more for two months of Schoop than one year and two months.  ?

37 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Wrong

28 minutes ago, clapdiddy said:

Givens has never been consistent enough to be called “dominant”. 

Schoop's got a .953 OPS in 18 July games, so i'm not sure his value is as low as we think.  Otoh, shouldn't the O's be trying to keep him - especially with their lack of quality infielders?  It makes sense to see what his value is, but if they can't get a haul for him, I'd like for them to try to negotiate with him this coming offseason.  

1 minute ago, Ruzious said:

Schoop's got a .953 OPS in 18 July games, so i'm not sure his value is as low as we think.  Otoh, shouldn't the O's be trying to keep him - especially with their lack of quality infielders?  It makes sense to see what his value is, but if they can't get a haul for him, I'd like for them to try to negotiate with him this coming offseason.  

I think they waited too long.  I think they could have reached a team friendly deal with him before he sold a portion of his future earnings away.

I think it’s pretty clear at this point that Peter is not making decisions any longer (or should I say, not capable of making them).  John & Lou appear to be steering the ship from all indications, which I believe to be a good thing.  

Archived