Stand Pat!

Peace21

We shouldn't have had to "replace" Ryan, we seriously dropped the ball on not trading him before he became a FA. We could have had a few pieces from that trade on the 25 man right now.

As for Ray, injuries shouldn't really count.

But as with any sport it's always next man up.

I want a stable closer too...but when we're done rebuilding. That's a few years down the road.

I think it's interesting to note that the Jays obviously wanted him pretty bad, and had some kids like Rios and McGowan in the minors at the time. Taking advantage of peak value is always good baseball sense in a rebuilding situation.

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yea but im tired of replacing.

Well, had Ray not been hurt, we wouldn't have needed to replace him, so look at it as Sherrill being a bridge to the health of Ray.

That being said, this team needs a lot more than a closer...A closer on a bad team is pretty worthless but a new young SS and third baseman makes a bad team much better long term and we can easily replace the guy we just dealt to get those players.

Potential closers in house: JJ,Ray, Sarfate, Liz, D.Cabrera, Hooey, McCrory, Hernandez etc. Potential in house SS's: ??????

The only ones of those mentioned that could be even close to a potential closer are JJ and Ray. Hoey couldn't even get people out when he has been up here. McCrory sure had problems up here too. If you put DCab in as a closer then you leave a huge gap in an already thin rotation. Sarfate has been effective in his role, but not good enough to warrant being the top bullpen guy. I would like to see Hernandez do well in AAA before we start talking about him being a closer.

Ray has missed a whole year, let's see how he looks before we pencil him into that spot again. JJ has done incredible this year, and would be the only guy I would be comfortable with in that position right now.

I don't have a problem with dealing Sherrill, but I'm in the camp with getting back 2 guys that are sure to fill 2 separate holes.

I think it's pretty funny that Peace is getting lambasted because he doesn't think that making a bunch of "deadline deals" is the key to rebuilding the franchise.

Does anybody happen to know how many crucial "deadline deals" played huge roles in building the O's into the best franchise in baseball, back when AM's daddy did it the first time? Can anybody tell me all the franchises that were rebuilt from top to bottom, from crappy franchises into consistent long-term contenders, based on a year's worth of "deadline deals"?

I didn't think so.

But, why let the facts of baseball history interfere? Continue with the stunned outrage. Continue with the message board fantasy that says we can best attract a quality FA or two by trading the most solid players we have for "prospects". (Yep, that'll help us contend by 2010. Sure it will.) Continue to believe that "deadline deals" are when teams substantially shape their future. And, while you're doing that, you can get outraged at anybody who points out that making a huge thing out of "deadline deals" is mainly a lot of message board baloney. However, as the deadline gets nearer and nearer, I expect the frenzy to mount, until it reaches near-hysteria. For some people, if AM fails to make a big "deadline deal" splash, it may even be a sign of being irresponsible and somehow failing to rebuild. In fact, if he doesn't make a big one, I betcha we'll see multiple threads on that very theme. And those threads will be just fine. But somehow challenging the whole "deadline deal mania" isn't. That's very curious, if you ask me...

But, carry on with your harpooning of Peace about it...

You're putting an awful lot of words in a an awful lot of people's mouths here.

The point is do we trade Sherrill if we get a great return? Nothing to do with deadline deals. Could happen this winter for all I care.

I think we pull the trigger if we get the right return. Do you? Simple question.

I think it's pretty funny that Peace is getting lambasted because he doesn't think that making a bunch of "deadline deals" is the key to rebuilding the franchise.

Does anybody happen to know how many crucial "deadline deals" played huge roles in building the O's into the best franchise in baseball, back when AM's daddy did it the first time? Can anybody tell me all the franchises that were rebuilt from top to bottom, from crappy franchises into consistent long-term contenders, based on a year's worth of "deadline deals"?

I didn't think so.

But, why let the facts of baseball history interfere? Continue with the stunned outrage. Continue with the message board fantasy that says we can best attract a quality FA or two by trading the most solid players we have for "prospects". (Yep, that'll help us contend by 2010. Sure it will.) Continue to believe that "deadline deals" are when teams substantially shape their future. And, while you're doing that, you can get outraged at anybody who points out that making a huge thing out of "deadline deals" is mainly a lot of message board baloney. However, as the deadline gets nearer and nearer, I expect the frenzy to mount, until it reaches near-hysteria. For some people, if AM fails to make a big "deadline deal" splash, it may even be a sign of being irresponsible and somehow failing to rebuild. In fact, if he doesn't make a big one, I betcha we'll see multiple threads on that very theme. And those threads will be just fine. But somehow challenging the whole "deadline deal mania" isn't. That's very curious, if you ask me...

But, carry on with your harpooning of Peace about it...

I called it...

And of course, you are the one declaring that rebuilding could be based solely on deadline deals by lambasting it.

As opposed to the rest of us, who see making any trade at any time as part of the rebuilding process, and the trading deadlines just happen to be a point where a lot of teams look for help.

I find it hard to believe that you don't already know that, unless you just want to be argumentative.

The point is do we trade Sherrill if we get a great return? Nothing to do with deadline deals. Could happen this winter for all I care.

I think we pull the trigger if we get the right return. Do you? Simple question.

Are you just noticing this?

Yes, of course.

I am sure Milt Pappas was well liked but if the deal is out there you should do it.

But a positive person in the clubhouse also has a value that should not be discounted entirely.

As opposed to the rest of us, who ...

I especially love it when somebody speaks for "the rest of us" while at the same time claiming that I'm putting words into other people's mouths.

I believe we now have Stunned Outrage, Phase II.

You guys are a hoot. (Now, mind you, I'm not saying who "you guys" might be, it's just a vague reference to "some people" ;-)

I'm certainly not talking about everyone.

I especially love it when somebody speaks for "the rest of us" while at the same time claiming that I'm putting words into other people's mouths.

I believe we now have Stunned Outrage, Phase II.

You guys are a hoot. (Now, mind you, I'm not saying who "you guys" might be, it's just a vague reference to "some people" ;-)

I'm certainly not talking about everyone.

Ignoring the rest of the point. Thanks for showing I'm right.

Do people here want to make trades just for the sake of making trades? Is it about having the breaking news story on ESPN? Or the press conferences or the sense of satisfaction that we traded someone?

When I made the title of this thread I had a gut feeling that people would already be coming into the thread upset just because of the title.Mad that its not something that they want to read or see on the OH. They rather see BB's A Few Things, or Rosenthal says this.

I think people here really want to see a rebuild, but also want to see a trade happen because we havent seen the Orioles make a deadline deal in a long time.

Archived