Stand Pat!

Peace21

But than my question to this board is...are you convinced that AM can make a legit deadline deal? And will he if the deal is right? Or will it be like the Roberts and Cubs deal, where he was wanting more and the Cubs got irratated.

See, I think McPhail is craftier than that. I don't think he ever held out, and held out trying to get more like the majority seems to think. I think he was posturing and using the media to try to flush out some more trade partners and drive the price up. He knew there were a few teams iffy about their 2B production going into the season, and if it gets out that a deal is almost done, it could smoke out some teams that had their eyes on him. In that sense I think it was very smart.

Spring Training isn't a deadline, it's a convenience to have deals done by then. July 31st is a hard deadline, and a created barrier that drives up prices depending on situations (i.e Saito going down, other teams making moves, or Gagne and Turnbow imploding).

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I would agree if the top chef is 24 years old and has time to rebuild this once proud restaurant. But he will be 29 years old and there is no guarentee that these culinary prodigies will really pan out in the next few years. He grew up in this town so he has seen and heard all about this restaurant getting excited about prodigies before only to see them get burnt.

Instead, the good chefs are sitting there performing well. There would be no real reason why that would change.

Again - why would our top chef choose to come to a rebuilding restaurant?

Okay...if we're gonna continue on with this really stretching it allegorical fallacy...

Tex isn't a top chef...he's like a really good sous chef. I just wanted to put that out there.

Maybe, but even then we could be filling two holes. One hole is better than two. Words AM should live by.:laughlol:
Potential closers in house: JJ,Ray, Sarfate, Liz, D.Cabrera, Hooey, McCrory, Hernandez etc. Potential in house SS's: ??????

Im just saying. Sherrill wanting to be here and pitching well has helped with some of the wins so far this season.

The two bolded sections are not mutually exclusive. He's a great guy, but he's also a pro. I'm sure he'd be trying to do his best and pitching well if he was someplace he didn't want to be.

But than my question to this board is...are you convinced that AM can make a legit deadline deal? And will he if the deal is right? Or will it be like the Roberts and Cubs deal, where he was wanting more and the Cubs got irratated.

That's the million dollar question. And unfortunately, it's one I'm unable to answer.

I must confess, I am a little worried that MacPhail won't pull the trigger on some deals because his asking price is too high...

Potential closers in house: JJ,Ray, Sarfate, Liz, D.Cabrera, Hooey, McCrory, Hernandez etc. Potential in house SS's: ??????

Not sure of your point here. I was just saying even if we didn't have a closer to step in, we could've filled two other holes (ie, SS or 3b, etc.).

It was a point based on one of Peace's direct comments.

So I'm with you.

You can't look at Sherrill as just a closer though. He is dominant vs. LH hitters. He's been pretty good against RH hitters so he's not just a LOOGY. He's the perfect setup guy, and a good closer.

Yea but im tired of replacing.

We shouldn't have had to "replace" Ryan, we seriously dropped the ball on not trading him before he became a FA. We could have had a few pieces from that trade on the 25 man right now.

As for Ray, injuries shouldn't really count.

But as with any sport it's always next man up.

I want a stable closer too...but when we're done rebuilding. That's a few years down the road.

:D

That's the million dollar question. And unfortunately, it's one I'm unable to answer.

I must confess, I am a little worried that MacPhail won't pull the trigger on some deals because his asking price is too high...

Same here, that Bedard deal was a longtime ago. I hope he knows how to pull the trigger still.:D

Yea but im tired of replacing.

Yeah but even if we don't deal him there is a good possibility of him being replaced in the next 2 seasons anyway. Ray has experience and youth, and if he comes back strong in a set-up role and Sherrill flounders a bit...

Besides, we have no clue how George will do with another candidate breathing down his neck. Closing is a good % mental, and a lot of closers fall apart when they know their set up guy is a season or two removed from a 20-30 save season.

I think it's pretty funny that Peace is getting lambasted because he doesn't think that making a bunch of "deadline deals" is the key to rebuilding the franchise.

Does anybody happen to know how many crucial "deadline deals" played huge roles in building the O's into the best franchise in baseball, back when AM's daddy did it the first time? Can anybody tell me all the franchises that were rebuilt from top to bottom, from crappy franchises into consistent long-term contenders, based on a year's worth of "deadline deals"?

I didn't think so.

But, why let the facts of baseball history interfere? Continue with the stunned outrage. Continue with the message board fantasy that says we can best attract a quality FA or two by trading the most solid players we have for "prospects". (Yep, that'll help us contend by 2010. Sure it will.) Continue to believe that "deadline deals" are when teams substantially shape their future. And, while you're doing that, you can get outraged at anybody who points out that making a huge thing out of "deadline deals" is mainly a lot of message board baloney. However, as the deadline gets nearer and nearer, I expect the frenzy to mount, until it reaches near-hysteria. For some people, if AM fails to make a big "deadline deal" splash, it may even be a sign of being irresponsible and somehow failing to rebuild. In fact, if he doesn't make a big one, I betcha we'll see multiple threads on that very theme. And those threads will be just fine. But somehow challenging the whole "deadline deal mania" isn't. That's very curious, if you ask me...

But, carry on with your harpooning of Peace about it...

Archived