Stand Pat!

Peace21

Yes, of course.

I am sure Milt Pappas was well liked but if the deal is out there you should do it.

But a positive person in the clubhouse also has a value that should not be discounted entirely.

Milt Pappas was not traded at the deadline.

It was in the off-season, which is the time of year when the vast, overwhelming majority of important personnel moves are made.

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Do people here want to make trades just for the sake of making trades? Is it about having the breaking news story on ESPN? Or the press conferences or the sense of satisfaction that we traded someone?

Once again, wow.

I think I'm done in this thread, at least with your posts, because you are simply not getting it and it isn't worth my time.

Thank you for the discussion.

I especially love it when somebody speaks for "the rest of us" while at the same time claiming that I'm putting words into other people's mouths.

I believe we now have Stunned Outrage, Phase II.

You guys are a hoot. (Now, mind you, I'm not saying who "you guys" might be, it's just a vague reference to "some people" ;-)

I'm certainly not talking about everyone.

I like it when people get mad with fans from their own team on a message board over some small point.

"I think we should do this thing."

"What are you crazy. I hate you and everything you stand for."

"Oh yeah, well you're stupid, how could you possibly disagree with me."

"I'm right, I win. :angryfire:"

"No, I'm right, I win. :cussing:"

Do people here want to make trades just for the sake of making trades? Is it about having the breaking news story on ESPN? Or the press conferences or the sense of satisfaction that we traded someone?

When I made the title of this thread I had a gut feeling that people would already be coming into the thread upset just because of the title.Mad that its not something that they want to read or see on the OH. They rather see BB's A Few Things, or Rosenthal says this.

I think people here really want to see a rebuild, but also want to see a trade happen because we havent seen the Orioles make a deadline deal in a long time.

The fact of the matter is, we're not a good team right now. We're anywhere from 5-7 players away from contending. The sooner we get started, the better.

When I made the title of this thread I had a gut feeling that people would already be coming into the thread upset just because of the title.Mad that its not something that they want to read or see on the OH. They rather see BB's A Few Things, or Rosenthal says this.

I think people here really want to see a rebuild, but also want to see a trade happen because we havent seen the Orioles make a deadline deal in a long time.

Come on Peace...Is this a serious question?

People want to make trades to fill the many holes we have...They want to make trades to improve the depth of the team.

They recognize that this team isn't close to contending and that we need a lot more talent.

You can't get the talent by trading our garbage and you can't get the talent by signing a bunch of players because AM just isn't going to do that and that will hurt us more than it will help us.

Did you respond to a single point I made or a single question I asked. Nope.

But don't let that stop you...

I called you on putting words into people's mouths (which you tried to turn on me, without realizing that there are a group of us making the same argument and can therefore bring up each others' points), and that you were completely wrong in your characterization of my side's argument.

You have yet to respond to that at all.

Please give it a shot, because despite often being right, you are showing why so many people dislike you.

Unless you simply cannot respond, which I will believe until proven otherwise. And that lowers my opinion of you considerably.

This is you at your worst, RShack. Peace is taking a beating for putting forth some very weak arguments such as

1. I'm tired of replacing closers.

2. We should keep a player because he wants to be here

3. Finishing above or below .500 is the difference in getting or not getting Tex

4. Many more

I was responding to the OP in which I didn't see him say any of those things. I did not interpret the main point of the OP as being the way that you characterized it in #3. I took it to mean that you don't get rid of the good guys and expect FA's to want to come here, just for the sake of deadline deals.

The other things only came up when he was already getting gang tackled and was halfway nailed to the cross.

Milt Pappas was not traded at the deadline.

It was in the off-season, which is the time of year when the vast, overwhelming majority of important personnel moves are made.

But if it's a good deal at the deadline we should take it right? Or are you against making trades at the deadline? Better to wait for the offseason and make an even better deal? Just asking.

Come on Peace...Is this a serious question?

People want to make trades to fill the many holes we have...They want to make trades to improve the depth of the team.

They recognize that this team isn't close to contending and that we need a lot more talent.

You can't get the talent by trading our garbage and you can't get the talent by signing a bunch of players because AM just isn't going to do that and that will hurt us more than it will help us.

Good point, I stand corrected. Just curious thats all.

I was responding to the OP in which I didn't see him say any of those things. I did not interpret the main point of the OP as being the way that you characterized it in #3. I took it to mean that you don't get rid of the good guys and expect FA's to want to come here, just for the sake of deadline deals.

The other things only came up when he was already getting gang tackled and was halfway nailed to the cross.

Who has said we should get rid of the good guys just for the sake of deadline deals? I haven't read that at all.

What do you think we should do? An actual thought out opinion on what we should do to continue to rebuild/put ourselves in contention would be a breath of fresh air.

And if trading a Sherrill nets us a couple ML ready studs, who cares if it's at the deadline instead of the off-season?

My opinion - Let AM do what he thinks he needs to do. I have full confidence that he will get us where we need to go. Whatever that looks like... But I personally do not think that standing pat is the way to go. And I find it hard to believe that AM does either. And i'm not talking about standing pat through July 31st--I mean heading into 2009.

Once again, wow.

I think I'm done in this thread, at least with your posts, because you are simply not getting it and it isn't worth my time.

Thank you for the discussion.

My bad if this post has taken a turn for the worse. I was just curious as to what everyones thinking is.

Good point, I stand corrected. Just curious thats all.

I don't think you will find one person on this site that will not agree that Sherrill could be a part of a contender here in Baltimore...We all agree with that. We may not agree on his future role but we agree that he can help. Remember, this isn't about Sherrill as much as it is about what is best for the future of this team.

But where does he help us more? Pitching 40-50 good innings every year or bringing us back 2 ML ready prospects that fill huge holes for guys that give you 500-600 at bats and play every day?

I called you on putting words into people's mouths (which you tried to turn on me, without realizing that there are a group of us making the same argument and can therefore bring up each others' points), and that you were completely wrong in your characterization of my side's argument.

You have yet to respond to that at all.

Please give it a shot, because despite often being right, you are showing why so many people dislike you.

Unless you simply cannot respond, which I will believe until proven otherwise. And that lowers my opinion of you considerably.

Oh, I see... you won't respond to a single point I made, you ignore both the points and the questions, but you somehow expect me to give careful consideration to yours? And, even better, now you're gonna have a worse opinion of me if I don't respond to this?

So, now it's not just disagreement, now it's ultimatums? Well, isn't that just great. Tell you what, get a new game, because I'm not playing that one. And if your opinion is based on that kind of garbage, well, maybe you should go get your noose, rile up the mob, and perhaps you can lynch me and Peace at the same time. But remind us all how it's not a case of "deadline deal mania".

Archived