Chris Davis 2019 and beyond

Camden_yardbird

3 hours ago, AnythingO's said:

He would have a $5 M/yr annuity for 22 years, be free to go to any team that would have him, and potentially make more money. If not he is a bench here warmer suffering humiliation for 4 years. Those are pretty strong motivations to me. 

I think you are great. I disagree with your opinion. 

25 minutes ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

For me Davis sits. Mancini is given first base next year to make or break. Chris can DH occasionally or fill in for an injury. I take Chris from Spring Training and tell him he has to bunt against the shift if he wants back off the bench. That's what he is to focus on and leave him alone till he gets that right.

For me? Mancini is a DH. As has been evidenced by him not playing the field  and improving on what was an awful year. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

But look at how much work he did with Coolbaugh in the offseason!

What a joke that he could say that when Coolbaugh said they only talked twice. After the year he had in 2017, if that counts for extra offseason work in his mind then he is delusional.

1 minute ago, Ripken said:

Regarding Davis and Trumbo...

<div class="ipsEmbeddedVideo">
	<div>
		<iframe allowfullscreen="true" frameborder="0" height="270" src="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5Qs8dHthqM" width="480"></iframe>
	</div>
</div>

Times like these are when it pays to be a plus member.  ?

6 minutes ago, AnythingO's said:

What a joke that he could say that when Coolbaugh said they only talked twice. After the year he had in 2017, if that counts for extra offseason work in his mind then he is delusional.

This is exactly why I want him gone.  He got his contract and it seems that may have been his real motivation. He actually got caught cheating which likely artificially elevated his stats.  To what extent that helped him is anyone's guess. Every indication says Chris really didn't really have his hitting coach work on physical adjustments in the off season.  Did he just think this would magically fix itself after a poor 2017?  Also we have been told that it was a priority for Chris to work on bunting to beat the shift.  How many times have we seen those bunts?  

I can blame someone for being bad if the effort is there.  I am just not sure based off everything I see that Chris gets it at this point.  

3 minutes ago, turtlebowl said:

This is exactly why I want him gone.  He got his contract and it seems that may have been his real motivation. He actually got caught cheating which likely artificially elevated his stats.  To what extent that helped him is anyone's guess. Every indication says Chris really didn't really have his hitting coach work on physical adjustments in the off season.  Did he just think this would magically fix itself after a poor 2017?  Also we have been told that it was a priority for Chris to work on bunting to beat the shift.  How many times have we seen those bunts?  

I can blame someone for being bad if the effort is there.  I am just not sure based off everything I see that Chris gets it at this point.  

You beat the shift by hitting the ball over the wall.

Davis is hitting too many ground balls. 

Bunting against the shift isn't particularly useful.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

He is hitting grounders because he has to cheat to hit a fastball.  Can't stay back with weight so he gets out in front of any off speed pitch and rolls over.  His swing is long so he absolutely cannot catch up to any above average fastball.  He needs to take that dip out with his hands so he can have a shorter approach to the ball.  It may cost him some power but contact rate should be better.  Is he willing to make that sacrifice?

Anyone that knows basic mechanics can see the flaws of hand drop, long uppercut swing.  I just don't get how this hasn't been fixed to some degree.

10 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I do not disagree, but it's a hell of a lot more useful than watching a pitch and walking back to the dugout.

1 minute ago, turtlebowl said:

He is hitting grounders because he has to cheat to hit a fastball.  Can't stay back with weight so he gets out in front of any off speed pitch and rolls over.  His swing is long so he absolutely cannot catch up to any above average fastball.  He needs to take that dip out with his hands so he can have a shorter approach to the ball.  It may cost him some power but contact rate should be better.  Is he willing to make that sacrifice?

Anyone that knows basic mechanics can see the flaws of hand drop, long uppercut swing.  I just don't get how this hasn't been fixed to some degree.

I'm not arguing any of that.

But bunting isn't going to fix him.

4 hours ago, weams said:

This is truly not about Davis. But about what precedent that Scott Boras will allow you to stick to his name.  Unless you want to do a Bobby Bonilla deal with a guaranteed 8% return on deferral, I bet the mention of this is dismissed. Not negotiated. 

First of all I make sure I mention Scott Boras every day that I put Chris Davis in the lineup.  Every day.  Scott Boras' name is attached to one of the worst signings in MLB history.  Then, if Im the Orioles I trot him out there every day until May of next year.  If he doesn't improve...and he wont.  I stick him in the bull pen and for two years I throw him every day.  I have no doubt that if Davis can't hit..play the field or pitch, he and Boras might be more than slightly motivated to go away. 

I don't begrudge Davis.  The Orioles are the ones who goofed here.  But I'd be working very hard to make sure that Boras was more motivated to have this one go away.  Or maybe Boras likes the idea of talking to owners about the time he got an owner to overpay for a used up player.