Yusniel Diaz is very impressive

wildcard

2 hours ago, Tx Oriole said:

To me this is ridiculous. They know what Rickard can do. Start Diaz. Play the young guys instead of a career minor leaguer like Rickard. This team is not gonna be a winner this season. Play the young guys Mike. IMO 

It's not about this year, it's about controllability of players at the cheapest rates when the team has a chance to compete. If the Orioles were going to play the best they got, both Diaz and Hays would be starting this year, but I think they will both start the year in the minors. It's the smart longterm play for the organization and that seems to be what Elias is all about.

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Tony-OH said:

It's not about this year, it's about controllability of players at the cheapest rates when the team has a chance to compete. If the Orioles were going to play the best they got, both Diaz and Hays would be starting this year, but I think they will both start the year in the minors. It's the smart longterm play for the organization and that seems to be what Elias is all about.

I'd say the smart move is locking up the difference makers early.

56 minutes ago, Bubble Buddy said:

I know it. And I guess I should have mentioned that his hands were probably tied. Because he did do well on all the other trades IMO. That one was such a buzz kill. 

Something is wrong with Gausman's shoulder. 

20 minutes ago, atomic said:

How is this different than talking politics.  He made a comment about players from a certain having better genes.  How am I supposed to not think it is racist.  And my mother being raised in a country that put forth this belief that some countries have superior genes should not concern me at its implications? If I say I think it is racist why am I the  one that is wrong? It bothers me and I find it very disturbing.  Really I am not the one you should be talking to. 

Just because you think it's racist doesn't make it racist. Just because you find it disturbing doesn't mean it's disturbing to others. Your sense of reality and what you think is racist is in your head. It doesn't necessarily mean the rest of us even vaguely feel that way about those innocuous comments. If you find it disturbing, then I suggest you either stop reading or wall yourself into a safe space so you don't need to get upset over everything. 

Either way, let's drop it and get back to baseball.

1 hour ago, OrioleDog said:

Here's where I'll jump in with my May 2020 notion.  I think he'll need to be near AAA MVP to threaten a summer call-up, and think there's more potential he'll be like Vlad last year around Labor Day than he'll be a June-ish Super Two call-up.

Also very possible scenario.

I (mostly) agree with delaying Diaz, but I'm curious why it's any different than the potential impending uproar over Vlad Jr's assignment to the minors. It seems to be based strictly on talent level (ie: Diaz not as good as Vlad Jr.). Vlad Jr. would not help the Jays do a damn thing this year, but it seems to me people are decrying his likely assignment to the minors, mostly because it makes baseball less fun this year. 

4 minutes ago, interloper said:

I (mostly) agree with delaying Diaz, but I'm curious why it's any different than the potential impending uproar over Vlad Jr's assignment to the minors. It seems to be based strictly on talent level (ie: Diaz not as good as Vlad Jr.). Vlad Jr. would not help the Jays do a damn thing this year, but it seems to me people are decrying his likely assignment to the minors, mostly because it makes baseball less fun this year. 

An interesting extension of this line of argument, at least IMO...

Why delay promoting any player?  What is the breaking point for acceptable/unacceptable for calling guys up? Can we agree that even the very most talented prospects benefit from some time in the minors?

While Vlad Jr. had great stats in his AAA stint last season, it was only for 30 games and 216 innings.  In those fielding innings (all at 3B), he had a Fld% of .937, while MLB average last year was .958 with a low of .938 for a team.  I know fielding % isn't the best metric, but it's not like we have a ton to go on for MiL statistics.  The club most certainly wants to do what's best for them from a service time perspective (that's how they are incentivized by the current CBA), but the notion that he has nothing to gain from playing at AAA seems a bit disingenuous to me.

32 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

To this point, a few people have asked what it matters because we have nothing to realistically play for this season.  I think that actually makes the argument for holding them down to preserve service time stronger.  

43 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Isn't locking them up cheaper if you have more team control left? I.e. if your 5 year extension is only buying out 2 FA years instead of 3, because you sent them down for a few weeks at the start of their career?

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think it will be interesting to see how Elias operates in this regard.   The Orioles never did this while Duquette was here, unless you want to count Adam Jones, who was 5-6 weeks into his fifth full season when we extended him.   Hard to say whether that was Duquette’s preference, or ownership’s.    We know they tried with Manny and stupidly let the talks break down over $4 mm or so.   

Archived