O's Claim Catcher Pedro Severino

wildcard

1 minute ago, Jammer7 said:

Overboard? I don’t think so. I love the way he plays. No matter the sample size, really. Hitting the way he is, yeah, SSS. I’m not thinking he will continue to hit this way for years, as the league will adjust to him some and he’ll need to make adjustments. I do think he’ll at least hit enough to be a solid average offensive producer at catcher. He seems to have good pitch recognition and plate discipline. He just needed consistent at bats. He’s fun to watch, for me anyway. 

Yeah way overboard.a guy who less than 150 at bats with the team who has never hit like this before.  You are declaring hi your favorite Orioles catcher of all time over guys like Hoiles, Wieters and Dempsey. A guy who was DFA’d by another team a couple of months ago. 

Just now, atomic said:

Yeah way overboard.a guy who less than 150 at bats with the team who has never hit like this before.  You are declaring hi your favorite Orioles catcher of all time over guys like Hoiles, Wieters and Dempsey. A guy who was DFA’d by another team a couple of months ago. 

Well, it’s my opinion that you’re arguing with me about...lol. You disagree, cool. He is still MY favorite Oriole catcher of all time. I loved Dipper, but Wieters and Hoiles were not dynamic and passionate behind the dish. Who is your favorite Oriole catcher? And why?

6 minutes ago, Jammer7 said:

Well, it’s my opinion that you’re arguing with me about...lol. You disagree, cool. He is still MY favorite Oriole catcher of all time. I loved Dipper, but Wieters and Hoiles were not dynamic and passionate behind the dish. Who is your favorite Oriole catcher? And why?

I loved the way Sucre publicly berated his pitchers, that's leadership.

• Haha 2

The thing that makes me think Severino is the real deal is the incremental improvements over the last few seasons particularly in his walk rate which would suggest he has been working hard on his approach and his discipline. I love what he's doing with the bat and I love his approach. I definitely think it to be possible that what he's doing now is sustainable. He sure does get hit in the head a lot with foul balls, though.

• Upvote 3

6 hours ago, Jammer7 said:

Overboard? I don’t think so. I love the way he plays. No matter the sample size, really. Hitting the way he is, yeah, SSS. I’m not thinking he will continue to hit this way for years, as the league will adjust to him some and he’ll need to make adjustments. I do think he’ll at least hit enough to be a solid average offensive producer at catcher. He seems to have good pitch recognition and plate discipline. He just needed consistent at bats. He’s fun to watch, for me anyway. 

I'll  have some of what you're smoking!

Hes got a long way to go to get into the top 5 that certainly includes Dempsey, Hoiles, Tettleton, and Wieters.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

Hes got a long way to go to get into the top 5 that certainly includes Dempsey, Hoiles, Tettleton, and Wieters.

Well, it’s all about who’s your favorite, not who’s the best.   Totally subjective, and if Jammer7 is that enamored with Severino, God bless him.  

I have said, and will keep saying, that I think he’s figured out how to hit for more power than he had previously in his pro career.    I doubt he’ll be a .288 BA/.861 OPS guy as he is right now, but if he’s rocking a .700+ OPS, with his defensive skills, that’s a solid major league catcher.  

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Sessh said:

The thing that makes me think Severino is the real deal is the incremental improvements over the last few seasons particularly in his walk rate which would suggest he has been working hard on his approach and his discipline. I love what he's doing with the bat and I love his approach. I definitely think it to be possible that what he's doing now is sustainable. He sure does get hit in the head a lot with foul balls, though.

Severino's walk rates (majors and minors):

2011: 7.7%
2012: 7.2%
2013: 4.3%
2014: 6.4%
2015: 5.2%
2016: 6.8%
2017: 6.2%
2018: 6.6%
2019: 9.6%

His walk rate has been flat for years, and this year he has a small spike in 167 PAs. 

25 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Well, it’s all about who’s your favorite, not who’s the best.   Totally subjective, and if Jammer7 is that enamored with Severino, God bless him.  

I have said, and will keep saying, that I think he’s figured out how to hit for more power than he had previously in his pro career.    I doubt he’ll be a .288 BA/.861 OPS guy as he is right now, but if he’s rocking a .700+ OPS, with his defensive skills, that’s a solid major league catcher.  

Which I am 100% cool with... Hey my handle was Larry Sheets for a while on another board.

but favorite Orioles catcher all time is a bit extreme unless of course he’s real young.

hopefully he’s figured it out and does hit .280 with a 800+. The Orioles could use a break or two. 

But that would make him a trade asset imo.

I was heartbroken when they traded Tettleton.  And I know that opened up room for Hoiles (I also keep forgetting that Hoiles came over in the Jeff Robinson trade...Hoiles came over in the Fred Lynn trade) and Hoiles was a great player but...Fruit Loops.  The way he held the bat.  I think if you grew up an Orioles fan and were a certain age you imitated Mickey Tettleton's stance.  And if you really caught a hold of one, you were convinced that Mickey Tettleton's stance provided you with more power somehow.  

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I was heartbroken when they traded Tettleton.  And I know that opened up room for Hoiles (I also keep forgetting that Hoiles came over in the Jeff Robinson trade...Hoiles came over in the Fred Lynn trade) and Hoiles was a great player but...Fruit Loops.  The way he held the bat.  I think if you grew up an Orioles fan and were a certain age you imitated Mickey Tettleton's stance.  And if you really caught a hold of one, you were convinced that Mickey Tettleton's stance provided you with more power somehow.  

Tettleton wasn't a great defensive catcher, but he certainly could have backed up Hoiles while also DHing and playing a little first base.  Sparky just didn't care about defense with those early 90s Tigers and played Tettleton at first, DH, right, left and catcher.  Yes, he was a -16 fielder one year, but he had a 130 OPS+.

I used Tettleton's stance in the batting cages on many occasions.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

LOL! Ok. I’ve been a fan of the Orioles since 1977, when I was 8. So, no, not that young. All of those catchers you named in Orioles’ history certainly had their merits. I enjoyed watching all of them. It’s subjective on my part, and I don’t need a big sample size for what I like about the game of Pedro. As I said, it’s his flair, passion, athleticism and the way he has fun out there. The way he plays the game. He plays like an energetic kid out there. I truly enjoy watching him play.

Before Severino, Dipper was my favorite. And for similar reasons. The time he filmed a fishing trip and dove into the water, coming out with a fish in his mouth. Or the rain delay antics...that is entertainment to me. Baseball isn’t all about statistics or wins/losses for me. 

Wieters was an above average catcher in many ways, and he got beat down being the workhorse. He may have not reached the potential tauter by most, but he was very productive. Hoiles had some dramatic moments and a solid offensive resume. Fruit Loops was a solid offensive catcher. A switch hitter with power. I appreciated all of the things they brought to the team each night. But none of them were dynamic athletes behind the plate. When I see Severino throw behind a runner, or block balls in the dirt, or just in the way he sets up or relates to his pitcher or other teammates. He’s the guy that I would have wanted to pitch to, or play with, out of all of the catchers in O’s history. 

I never said he was the greatest Oriole catcher of all time. Just that he is my personal favorite. He’s the closest we have come to some of my favorite catchers that I’ve seen in any uniform, such as: Yadier Molina, Benito Santiago, Pudge Rodriguez, Tony Pena and others. Posey and Varitek are in there somewhere, but for different reasons. 

You disagree, cool. Who is your favorite Oriole catcher? And why? 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

Exactly. God has blessed me in many ways, Part of that is a love for the game of baseball. 

I’m just trying to find things to be upbeat about. It’s difficult to do that this year. This board has been a lot of doom and gloom. Too many snarky and/or angry people. I enjoy the game. I enjoy watching men play this kids’ game, especially when they play with passion and energy. I love the College World Series for the same reasons. I love coaching youth baseball of all levels for the same reasons. I love seeing many of the kids I know and/or have coached get to play ball in college, and in several cases get drafted and sign. I have loved meeting people like Bob Boone, Dave Tremblay, Joe Oliver and John Hart, to name a few. Talking baseball with these guys who truly love the game, and to see how down to earth and grateful they are to have played or coached or been an executive. It was just humbling. Baseball is a lifestyle for those guys, not just a job or just a game. I get the feeling, watching Pedro, that he is the same type of individual.

Adam Jones had a similar passion and energy for many years in an Oriole uniform. Brian Roberts too, before he cracked his noggin with his bat. Ed Murray was similar with his playfulness and the way he had a flair for the dramatic. These guys were fun to watch. 

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1