Mychal Givens 2019

Frobby

11 minutes ago, nate22 said:

It could be a trend if nobody else steps up. With that said, the rest of the pen looked good with the exception of Bleier this weekend.

I mentioned in another thread that the bullpen is the strongest part of this team. I think it could be good not just in relation to the rest of the team, but in general. The problem is the pen is likely going to get run down substantially unless there is a lot of movement between Norfolk and Baltimore or the starters really overperform. 

42 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

I mentioned in another thread that the bullpen is the strongest part of this team. I think it could be good not just in relation to the rest of the team, but in general. The problem is the pen is likely going to get run down substantially unless there is a lot of movement between Norfolk and Baltimore or the starters really overperform. 

Kind of off topic but I was looking at the wealth of young arms the Braves have. Is there anything that we have that could entice them to move one or two of those arms? They are going for it so maybe if they suffer an injury of some type they'd be more open to moving some young pitching. I was just wondering if we matchup anywhere.

1 minute ago, nate22 said:

Kind of off topic but I was looking at the wealth of young arms the Braves have. Is there anything that we have that could entice them to move one or two of those arms? They are going for it so maybe if they suffer an injury of some type they'd be more open to moving some young pitching. I was just wondering if we matchup anywhere.

Gausman was the opportunity.

1 hour ago, Luke-OH said:

We have 4 more games in a row coming up, then one day off, then 19 games in a row. 

19 hours ago, OFFNY said:

o

(vs. YANKEES, 3/31)

Givens threw a career-high 49 pitches tonight ........ on no rest, after having thrown 16 pitches in yesterday's game.

o

o

Givens probably cost himself 18 extra pitches by throwing away a potential inning-ending double play ball in his first inning of work.

If Givens had made a better throw (and if the Orioles had subsequently gotten the DP), we don't know for sure what would have happened in the Yankees' half of the 9th inning, because their batting order would have been different than it actually was (the cause and effect principle, see Paul Folk if you would like a thorough explanation.)

o

10 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

Yeah, they've shown the are an enormous strength 3 games in, pretty much carrying the rotation on their back.  What will they look like in Game 10 though. 

• 2 weeks later...

o

(vs. RED SOX, 4/13)

In perhaps his best outing of this still very young season, Givens retired all 5 batters that he faced today, 4 by Strikeout.

He completely overcompensated for rather sloppy performances by the other 2 relievers that Hyde used today (Jimmy Yacabonis and Tanner Scott.)

1.67 lll Innings Pitched

0 llllllllll Runs

0 llllllllll Hits

0 llllllllll Walks

4 llllllllll Strikeouts

19 lllllllll Pitches ) (15 )Strikes, ))Balls)

o

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

o

(vs. RANGERS, 6/04)

All things considered, this may have been Givens' best game of the season so far.

When the bottom of the 9th inning started, the Orioles had a 12-5 lead, and even the most devout Rangers fan probably didn't think that their team had a prayer of coming back to win. By the time that Givens entered the game, that once-comfortable 12-5 lead was now an extremely precarious 12-11 nail-biter ........ and the Rangers had the potential tying run on base with only one out !!!

After Josh Lucas and Richard Bleier walked and got hit by what seemed like half the American League, Givens took all of 10 pitched to strike out 2 batters, and finally end the game (albeit with a bone-headed pickoff attempt in between those 2 Strikeouts.)

o