Hyde's Decisions 2019

Aristotelian

• Replies 494
  • Created
  • Last Reply
36 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Just piecing together the obvious. Hess sounds like nothing but a great teammate and a coachable player. It would just be extremely hard to not wonder about that the rest of your life. 

A no hitter is still a no hitter. 

I can’t disagree with this statement, though I don’t think anything Hess said suggests or implies it.    Of course he will always wonder “what if?”    But that’s not really the issue here.    Some had implied that Hyde could demoralize Hess, cause him to lose confidence in himself, or lose other members of the clubhouse from this decision.    I think that’s complete hyperbole and Hess clearly reacted well to the decision and will move on, though I have no doubt he was disappointed to be pulled.    

8 hours ago, Yachtsman said:

Do not get me wrong Lookin. I get the power of the new approach, but sometimes we can still disagree with an in game move while supporting the process.

Of course. Just know that this decision is what we’re going to get. These guys are about data driven management. It minimizes emotion and toughness in the decision making process. It’s really no different than the demotion of Sisco and Hays. This won’t be the last time we see it. 

Have at it, y’all. Older article, but still relevant.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2043472-pitch-counts-are-good-for-kids-bad-for-major-leaguers.amp.html

It's key that the 100-pitch mark, first stated as a rule of thumb by baseball legend Paul Richards, held up to Jazayerli and Woolner's research. However, there's actually nothing special about the number itself. Moreover, it's clear that the response to hitting that mark is individualized. While their research showed that there is increasing risk, there was no clear correlation to injury. 

1 minute ago, Il BuonO said:

Have at it, y’all. Older article, but still relevant.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2043472-pitch-counts-are-good-for-kids-bad-for-major-leaguers.amp.html

It's key that the 100-pitch mark, first stated as a rule of thumb by baseball legend Paul Richards, held up to Jazayerli and Woolner's research. However, there's actually nothing special about the number itself. Moreover, it's clear that the response to hitting that mark is individualized. While their research showed that there is increasing risk, there was no clear correlation to injury. 

Of course.  Every pitcher is different, every 100 pitches are different, every situation is different.

It's April, he was on short rest and he has no history of going deep into games at the ML level.

1 minute ago, DJHJR86 said:

Hyde's explanation made sense.  I forgot that Hess pitched 40+ on opening day.  That said, this juggling of the bullpen is not sustainable.  Need to have a set set up guy and closer, IMO.

While I agree that his current bullpen usage is unsustainable I don't think the answer is defined roles.

10 hours ago, atomic said:

Harvey and Bundy were babied in the minors and they still had TJ surgery.  

And then the O's overworked him when he came back and now his arm is shot.  There was nothing that was "babying" about Hyde's decision.

Love his moves so far:

• Pitching his best reliever in high leverage situations regardless of the inning.
  • Hooking Hess so one of our only reliable starters doesn't blow out his arm trying to no-hit the Blue Jays in Game 4 of a 162-game season.
  • Hooking Bundy in the 4th when he was obviously toast and not trying to squeeze more out of him this early.
  • Sitting/PHing Davis on occasion.
  • Keep running Martin out there and let him make good plays at SS.
  • Dwight Smith in LF consistently instead of Mancini.

17 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Of course.  Every pitcher is different, every 100 pitches are different, every situation is different.

It's April, he was on short rest and he has no history of going deep into games at the ML level.

Well, it’s not ‘of course’ for many who see pitch counts as commonplace. I have no problem with the decision last night considering his previous usage. 

But the arbitrary number for most pitchers isn’t helping.

45 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I can’t disagree with this statement, though I don’t think anything Hess said suggests or implies it.    Of course he will always wonder “what if?”    But that’s not really the issue here.    Some had implied that Hyde could demoralize Hess, cause him to lose confidence in himself, or lose other members of the clubhouse from this decision.    I think that’s complete hyperbole and Hess clearly reacted well to the decision and will move on, though I have no doubt he was disappointed to be pulled.    

This photo says it all - LOL!

Vdf1r1v9?format=jpg&name=600x314

13 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

While I agree that his current bullpen usage is unsustainable I don't think the answer is defined roles.

I think it is for games like yesterday with a 4 run lead going into the 8th.  That way you don't get a repeat of Sunday and have Givens pitching 50+.  

3 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

Well, it’s not ‘of course’ for many who see pitch counts as commonplace. I have no problem with the decision last night considering his previous usage. 

But the arbitrary number for most pitchers isn’t helping.

It shouldn't be an arbitrary number.  But I have no problems with having a plan in place to limit usage.

Archived