Grayson Rodriguez 2019

WalkWithElias

42 minutes ago, Frobby said:

It’s going to be very interesting to see how the new regime handles promotions.   Right now the organization boasts six starting pitchers with ERA’s of 1.72 or lower:

Wells, 1.72 at Bowie

Lowther, 1.68 at Bowie

Sedlock, 1.44 at Frederick

Peralta, 1.50 at Delmarva

Rodriguez, 1.47 at Delmarva

Rom, 1.45 at Delmarva

Not to mention Zimmermann 2.25 at Bowie and Fenter 2.17 at Delmarva.    We’ll leave Blaine Knight out of this since he already got promoted after posting 0.68 at Delmarva.

That’s a lot of pitchers making their case for a promotion.    

Rodriguez and Rom should complete the year in Delmarva, IMO. Both are young and in their first year's of full-season ball. Sedlock and Peralta should get pushed due to their age. Two years ago we would've expected both of them to be higher in the system by now. 

There isn't much blocking Wells and Lowther in the Norfolk rotation. Not exactly packed with prospects. I'd be curious to see what those two are able to do now that International League numbers seem closer to what we'd expect out of the PCL. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, WalkWithElias said:

Rodriguez and Rom should complete the year in Delmarva, IMO. Both are young and in their first year's of full-season ball. Sedlock and Peralta should get pushed due to their age. Two years ago we would've expected both of them to be higher in the system by now. 

There isn't much blocking Wells and Lowther in the Norfolk rotation. Not exactly packed with prospects. I'd be curious to see what those two are able to do now that International League numbers seem closer to what we'd expect out of the PCL. 

I'm not in a rush on Wells and Lowther, but I think I agree. Every new level will be harder, of course, and their performances seem to belie their profiles. They're doing something right, but I will have doubts at every level just because they're not bringing it mid-90's. It's unfortunate, but true.

2 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

I'm not in a rush on Wells and Lowther, but I think I agree. Every new level will be harder, of course, and their performances seem to belie their profiles. They're doing something right, but I will have doubts at every level just because they're not bringing it mid-90's. It's unfortunate, but true.

Didn't know where to put this story I read today. Where have all the crafty pitchers gone?

I don't want to derail the GrayRod conversation here, but it is relevant to your point. 

As far as Grayson is concerned, keep mowing them down, big fella. 

1 hour ago, WalkWithElias said:

If Rodriguez is 10-0 with a 1.50 ERA at midseason, what is the point of keeping him there? What are the chances that moving to Frederick would hurt him? I hate promoting guys to the majors who make three good starts at AAA, but I can't see the harm of moving him up one level. If he dominates High A in July-August, he could be at AA next year and in Baltimore by early in the 2022 season.

7 hours ago, WalkWithElias said:

Why would you put Rom and Rodriquez in the same category?

21 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

Why would you put Rom and Rodriquez in the same category?

Because they are both 19 year olds playing their first year of full-season ball with approximately the same number of innings pitched as pros?

Rodriguez may be the higher profile prospect but they are both kids undergoing the same stress on their arms, bodies, and minds. This year is all about development, health, and routine. They are still getting accustomed to being professional athletes. 

FWIW, Rom's stats are almost identical to GrayRod's even though he doesn't have the same "stuff." 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, WalkWithElias said:

Because they are both 19 year olds playing their first year of full-season ball with approximately the same number of innings pitched as pros?

Rodriguez may be the higher profile prospect but they are both kids undergoing the same stress on their arms, bodies, and minds. This year is all about development, health, and routine. They are still getting accustomed to being professional athletes. 

FWIW, Rom's stats are almost identical to GrayRod's even though he doesn't have the same "stuff." 

This is all true, as I’ve pointed out myself.   But I think GrayRod’s fastball will allow him to progress faster than Rom.  

A scout from outside the organization watched Grayson Rodriguez work a career-high seven innings Monday afternoon at Single-A Delmarva, with only one run and two hits allowed and eight strikeouts, and called the 2018 first-round draft pick “really special” and “the best Orioles prospect I’ve seen in many, many, moons.”

“He absolutely will be a top-of-the-rotation starter, and he’s only a pup,” the scout said.

Rodriguez was praised for having a plus changeup and curveball, and a fastball that touches 96 mph but usually sits in the 92-93 mph range. Rodriguez isn’t playing to the radar gun. He’s doing more than just throwing.

“His pitchability, you don’t see many kids who really have a feel for pitching,” the scout said. “I didn’t need the radar gun to scout him. That kid can pitch. And he’s a good athlete for a big guy. He was fun to watch.

“He wasn’t the top pitcher I saw this year, but this kid is in that group. He’s going to be one of the top four or five that I’ll see all year. It’s like watching (Dylan) Bundy pitch when he had his velocity.”

https://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2019/05/mancini-on-the-tremendous-honor-hes-trying-to-ignore.html

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

This is all true, as I’ve pointed out myself.   But I think GrayRod’s fastball will allow him to progress faster than Rom.  

I agree he will likely progress faster in the course of his time in the system. For this year, I'm content with him mowing down the SAL. 

Nice comments on GrayRod. Totally disagree with comments that imply that promotions should be age-based.  If GrayRod is ready for High A ball, then he should be promoted.  If Rom is ready for High A, then he should be promoted. 

Many folks seems to have this 'progress a level a year' attitude and seem one million percent oblivious to the actual quality of the prospect.  I remember when Machado was promoted (and deservedly so) to the Os at his young age and there were comments in threads that Manny needed to finish the year at AA and spend most of the next year at AAA and blah, blah, blah, blah.  Some armchair GMs here if their scouting director selected Clayton Kershaw out of high school wouldn't get him to the major until 21 or 22. 

Rom and GrayRod are both putting up promotion-worthy results.  If the reports on their stuff match their results, then they should be considered for promotion IMO.  I realize the organization might have some other goals/priorities related to increasing pitch counts, working deeper into games, innings targets and other, but if the stuff and results play then promotions should be merit-based IMO.

The organization is being extremely cautious with all the Delmarva pitchers. Rodriguez looks like he's getting a six-day or seven-day break between starts again. He didn't qualify for the league leaders until after his latest start since he hasn't pitched very may innings compared to other starters around the league.

I just can't see the negative of moving up a level after clearly proving he is the best pitcher in the league for two months. What could he harm? Knight has been challenged more at Frederick but is still pitching well

44 minutes ago, orioles22 said:

The organization is being extremely cautious with all the Delmarva pitchers. Rodriguez looks like he's getting a six-day or seven-day break between starts again. He didn't qualify for the league leaders until after his latest start since he hasn't pitched very may innings compared to other starters around the league.

I just can't see the negative of moving up a level after clearly proving he is the best pitcher in the league for two months. What could he harm? Knight has been challenged more at Frederick but is still pitching well

I'm moving up Rodriguez, Rom and Peralta at the half way point if they keep dominating.  In correlating moves, Baumann and Sedlock to Bowie.  Lowther and Zimmerman to Norfolk.  

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

I'm moving up Rodriguez, Rom and Peralta at the half way point if they keep dominating.  In correlating moves, Baumann and Sedlock to Bowie.  Lowther and Zimmerman to Norfolk.  

I may keep Rom where he is, but I agree with the rest.

If you have made it to the halfway point undefeated and lead the league in ERA, you have checked all the boxes for a promotion.