Hunter Harvey 2019

wildcard

11 hours ago, Ohfan67 said:

Thanks for the video Luke. Harvey isn't exactly painting the corners in that video. Tony and Luke: How did his location look? 100 is fun and all, but how was his command?

Command isn't great by any means, but it's good enough for relief. Command is often the last thing back from injury, so it's reasonable to think there may be some improvement. His control is fine, he can throw strikes. Basically, if the command ticks up and he stays healthy, he's a starter. If it doesn't and he stays healthy, he's a reliever. That's how I look at it and I think 2020 spring training will be the indicator if he can finish this season healthy and have a normal offseason. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

Just thinking out loud here, but any thought to the potential of Harvey transitioning down the same path as Andrew Miller?  Miller flamed out as a starter due to ineffectiveness and injuries.  Harvey has been effective as a starter but can't stay healthy.  Obviously the book isn't closed, yet, on Harvey as a starter, but it was a thought that crossed my mind the other day.

4 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I'd like to see him up this year sometime.  Especially with the shape the pen is in.  I'm not saying Harvey is going to bolster our pen significantly but it's time to give him a look.  

I agree, if he is healthy he should get some experience at the MLB level. He only has one option year remaining, so it isn't like he can ride the Norfolkk-Baltimore express for a couple years to figure out whether he can make it as a starter or a reliever.

Hunter Harvey just pitched three innings in relief striking out five batters without allowing a hit or walk. His numbers in relief have been absolutely outstanding.

Hunter Harvey's numbers in relief so far- 9 IP, 1 Hit Allowed, 0 ER, 11 strikeouts, 2 walks, 0.00 ERA, 0.33 WHIP

• Thanks 1

I've wondered for years why Major League clubs don't find a couple of guys like Harvey who could pitch 3 innings a couple of times a week to close games instead of hoping 3-4 different guys are all on to get teams through innings 7-8-9.

5 hours ago, TINSTAAPP said:

Hunter Harvey just pitched three innings in relief striking out five batters without allowing a hit or walk. His numbers in relief have been absolutely outstanding.

Hunter Harvey's numbers in relief so far- 9 IP, 1 Hit Allowed, 0 ER, 11 strikeouts, 2 walks, 0.00 ERA, 0.33 WHIP

Nice to see the guy healthy and putting up results. Hopefully he can make it through the whole season healthy and with positive results. Pen or not. Look at his IP totals,

2015 - 0 IP

2016 - 12.2 IP

2017 - 18.2 IP

2018 - 32.1 IP

2019 - 59 IP

I wonder how much they’ll let him throw?  90 IP?  Reminds me of Bundy in 2014, would be nice just to see him go through the full season without being shut down. 

Edited by sportsfan8703
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Nice to see the guy healthy and putting up results. Hopefully he can make it through the whole season healthy and with positive results. Pen or not. Look at his IP totals,

2015 - 0 IP

2016 - 12.2 IP

2017 - 18.2 IP

2018 - 32.1 IP

2019 - 59 IP

I wonder how much they’ll let him throw?  90 IP?  Reminds me of Bundy in 2014, would be nice just to see him go through the full season without being shut down. 

Yes, goal no. 1 is just to get Harvey through a full season healthy.    So far, so good, but still a couple of months to go.   

After going most of the season without making two consecutive good appearances, Harvey has now dominated three games in a row.   I’m fine leaving him on the 3 inning plan right now if that’s what the O’s think is best for his development.     Of course, I’m wondering if he’d continue to dominate if they stretched him back out.    

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Yes, goal no. 1 is just to get Harvey through a full season healthy.    So far, so good, but still a couple of months to go.   

After going most of the season without making two consecutive good appearances, Harvey has now dominated three games in a row.   I’m fine leaving him on the 3 inning plan right now if that’s what the O’s think is best for his development.     Of course, I’m wondering if he’d continue to dominate if they stretched him back out.    

That seems to be the real question here.  Is the uptick in velocity and and the better results due to Harvey knowing he is throwing limited innings? Or has he shaken off some rust and things are just starting to click for him?

• Upvote 1

Lot of high rolling gamblers here apparently. ? Every pitcher is one arm injury away from reduced or complete ineffectiveness and the end of their career. Harvey has already dodged several bullets and is still able to throw hard though it's debatable how much control will return. He is now showing an ability to be unhittable in a relief role and we're gonna talk about putting him back under higher workload? I think at this point, you take what you can get. No reason to push this as he's barely been able to pitch at all since he got here due to injury. It may end his career. Leave him where he is and let's proceed in grooming him for a relief role. Push the envelope at your own (and Harvey's) risk.

4 hours ago, Sessh said:

Lot of high rolling gamblers here apparently. ? Every pitcher is one arm injury away from reduced or complete ineffectiveness and the end of their career. Harvey has already dodged several bullets and is still able to throw hard though it's debatable how much control will return. He is now showing an ability to be unhittable in a relief role and we're gonna talk about putting him back under higher workload? I think at this point, you take what you can get. No reason to push this as he's barely been able to pitch at all since he got here due to injury. It may end his career. Leave him where he is and let's proceed in grooming him for a relief role. Push the envelope at your own (and Harvey's) risk.

I guess the question here is if there's evidence that a relief role is less likely to result in injury than a starting role? And if so, how much? You'd have to weigh that in terms of cost/benefit, against the cost of the lesser value of a relief pitcher. 

What I do agree, is that Harvey getting through the season healthy, and maintaining his stuff, is the main thing. What I don't agree is giving up on the idea of him as a starter, though.