Attendance 2019

Frobby

45 minutes ago, bpilktree said:

Charlotte is a beautiful city from what I hear and they won’t need to travel as far.

Charlotte Orioles has a beautiful ring to it! We no longer support bus trips to Baltimore due to the crime and civil unrest, but we would attend 6 to 8 games in Charlotte.

• Downvote 1

Dont think Charlotte is the right place either.Too much crime  Through April 3rd..Maybe Anchorage. Anchorage Dome. Alaska's team.Anchorage Orioles.Like it.

Thirty-three is kind of a shocking number," Voorhees told reporters. "We had 10 this time last year. It's a very large increase. Not proud of that number at all, but I can tell you we're doing a lot of work to combat it. The secret is we cannot combat everything. I wish we could.

2 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

2022 the lease is up.Orioles attendance probably will still be bad .Can see a move.The rebuild keeps attendance down so the Angelo's brothers can sell the team for a nice profit.

Not going to happen.  They are not going to let OPACY sit empty.  MLB teams rarely move and Baltimore isn't at the top of the list of franchises with attendance issues.

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Not going to happen.  They are not going to let OPACY sit empty.  MLB teams rarely move and Baltimore isn't at the top of the list of franchises with attendance issues.

I understand, but Florida breaks off from the United States due to ocean rise and the Florida teams join the Cuban league for attendance reasons.

3 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

2022 the lease is up.Orioles attendance probably will still be bad .Can see a move.The rebuild keeps attendance down so the Angelo's brothers can sell the team for a nice profit.

In the last 20 years, the Marlins exceeded 2 million, once.  The Rays haven't gone over that mark since their 1998 inaugural season.   Oakland has gone over 2 million six times in the past 20 years, the last being in 2014, and before that, 2005.

Attendance is not going to force an Orioles move before any of those three.

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

This narrative is tiresome. The one team that should move (the A’s) can’t even find a new home. OPACY is not going to be left empty by MLB. 

15 minutes ago, TonySoprano said:

In the last 20 years, the Marlins exceeded 2 million, once.  The Rays haven't gone over that mark since their 1998 inaugural season.   Oakland has gone over 2 million six times in the past 20 years, the last being in 2014, and before that, 2005.

Attendance is not going to force an Orioles move before any of those three.

Marlins have a 35 year lease when they opened their stadium.A's lease to 2024 and Ray's 2027.I was just playing along with the Charlotte and Portland Oriole posts 

4 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

This narrative is tiresome. The one team that should move (the A’s) can’t even find a new home. OPACY is not going to be left empty by MLB.  

It's the A's and the Rays that the owners probably will allow to move if they don't figure out a way to build a new stadium.  After those situations get resolved, MLB will sell two expansion franchises.

No team other than the A's or Rays is going anywhere until after that happens. Well, maybe Miami to the Cuban League -- that's thinking outside the box.

Not only Orioles had trouble drawing on Easter . Marlins had 7,412. Tigers had 15,686 . Pirates had 12,396. 18,740 in Tampa but against the Red Sox. Probably many Red Sox fans. 16,015 in Oakland. 16,039 in Cleveland, I am sure probably lower in almost all these parks because that is paid attendance. Attendance in baseball has gone down the last few years. Millennials don't go to games. The average age of the TV  viewers of the last three years of playoffs for baseball was 56 .11 teams are not averaging 20,000 fans per game. Only four last year. I know attendance picks up in later months but the Jays are down from a 29,000 average to a 19,000 average. Many teams are not really trying to win this year and that hurts attendance also. Should be interesting if attendance has another drop like last year.

3 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

Not only Orioles had trouble drawing on Easter . Marlins had 7,412. Tigers had 15,686 . Pirates had 12,396. 18,740 in Tampa but against the Red Sox. Probably many Red Sox fans. 16,015 in Oakland. 16,039 in Cleveland, I am sure probably lower in almost all these parks because that is paid attendance. Attendance in baseball has gone down the last few years. Millennials don't go to games. The average age of the TV  viewers of the last three years of playoffs for baseball was 56 .11 teams are not averaging 20,000 fans per game. Only four last year. I know attendance picks up in later months but the Jays are down from a 29,000 average to a 19,000 average. Many teams are not really trying to win this year and that hurts attendance also. Should be interesting if attendance has another drop like last year.

I've said it before, I'll say it again.  I'd rather just watch games on a big ass flatscreen on a comfy couch instead of schlepping all the way up there.  I'll go to a game or two this year but honestly, even if I lived closer I'd still only go once or twice a year.  

The home theatre experience is way underrated when it comes to talking about attendance issues.  

Just now, Moose Milligan said:

I've said it before, I'll say it again.  I'd rather just watch games on a big ass flatscreen on a comfy couch instead of schlepping all the way up there.  I'll go to a game or two this year but honestly, even if I lived closer I'd still only go once or twice a year.  

The home theatre experience is way underrated when it comes to talking about attendance issues.  

And this impacts all sports, not just baseball.  

• Upvote 1

Related but on a side note, I find the new Ticketmaster season ticket site to be very unfriendly for users trying to exchange tickets.  I called the ticket office and they were much more helpful.  Still the interface with Ticketmaster is off-putting and may influence my ticket purchase plan in the future.  

What it all comes down to if you want attendance to go up:

WIN.

Prior to the O's turning the ship around in 2012, they were averaging 1.83 million fans per year for the 4 years prior. In 2011, they had 1.75 million.

In 2012? 2.1 million.

2013: 2.35

2014: 2.46

2015: 2.28 (riots, White Sox fanless game)

2016: 2.17

2017: 2.02 (losing record)

2018: 1.56 (awful)

From 2012-2016, when they turned things around, the O's averaged 2.27 million fans per year. 

This is a far cry from the 3 million+ they drew from 2001 and before. And true enough, attendance was dropping from 1997. 

But here's the thing. From 1998 to 2011, they didn't have a single winning season. They placed 3rd *once*. All other times 4th or dead last. 

But think about it. Baltimore *finally* had a football team (again) in 1996. And if the O's were going to start losing, what was going to happen? People would focus their attention (and money) elsewhere. 

So, yeah, while I don't think we'll ever see 3 million fans per year again, I do think we're likely to see 2.25-2.5 million per year *if* (when?) they're winning again. 

Also, the stigma of the city, however undeserved it is, sticks around with people to an extent. Eventually that'll wear off. But perception always lags behind reality, for whatever reason.

“Also, the stigma of the city, however undeserved it is, sticks around with people to an extent”

the stigma is completely deserved at this point.  I’m a lifelong resident and owner of two homes in the city.  A neighbor of my parents (70+ year old) was carjacked and assaulted returning home from Easter mass celebrations yesterday by 3 juveniles at noon yesterday in Guilford, a relatively safe neighborhood with its own private security.  People justifiably don’t feel safe and when they look to their “leaders” they see the city being led by an unethical crook who tried to swindle the city using his home as a rental property while he lived in the county...and he is only there bc he is replacing an unethical mayor who is out on leave hoping her scandal will blow over.  It’s sad and unfortunate, but calling the city’s rep “undeserved” is disingenuous, especially after all the hard work it’s taken for the criminals (both elected and otherwise) to earn that reputation.  

Edited by Punchandjudy