Alex Wells 2019

Frobby

Must be interesting for teams to face Lowther and Wells back to back.   Two lefties with good command, neither with premium velocity.     In a way, I’m surprised Wells is doing as well as he has, following Lowther in the rotation.  

3 hours ago, ArtVanDelay said:

I don't consider 3 Ks in 7.2 a "gem".

That’s ridiculous.  Who cares how he gets the outs? Maybe it’s not awe inspiring from a prospect perspective, but he obviously was in complete control today.  He gave up 1 run, pitched into the 8th, scattered 6 hits and walked 1 all on 97 efficient pitches.  That’s a gem. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Punchandjudy said:

That’s ridiculous.  Who cares how he gets the outs? Maybe it’s not awe inspiring from a prospect perspective, but he obviously was in complete control today.  He gave up 1 run, pitched into the 8th, scattered 6 hits and walked 1 all on 97 efficient pitches.  That’s a gem. 

giphy.gif?cid=790b76115cf46b944c304b5632

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

giphy.gif?cid=790b76115cf46b944c304b5632

i get people not fawning over his prospect status when he puts a line like this together; but give credit where credit is due.  Guess Maddux only pitched gems when he averaged a strike out an inning.  For the record I’m not comparing Wells to Maddux only their stat lines, results, and how those results are characterized.  

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Punchandjudy said:

Username checks out ?

10 minutes ago, Punchandjudy said:

i get people not fawning over his prospect status when he puts a line like this together; but give credit where credit is due.  Guess Maddux only pitched gems when he averaged a strike out an inning.  For the record I’m not comparing Wells to Maddux only their stat lines, results, and how those results are characterized.  

People have an unclear image of Maddux.

I'll be simple about this.  You have to be able to strike people out to have long term success in the major leagues.  You can't allow these guys to put that many balls into play. 

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'll be simple about this.  You have to be able to strike people out to have long term success in the major leagues.  You can't allow these guys to put that many balls into play. 

Again, the game he pitched was a gem.  Anything beyond that is completely irrelevant to that statement.  

As for your statement referring to “people,” I know you aren’t talking about me as I saw him pitch for 20+ years and my image of him is crystal.

I made no reference to Wells as a major leaguer.  I made it clear that I was not referring to his prospect status.  Whatever inference you continue to make is off base. 

Edited by Punchandjudy
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Maddux was essentially league average in strikeouts during his prime.    

12 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Mark Buehrle did have a 16 year career with a strikeout rate hovering just above 5.0 SO/9 for his career and a strikeout rate higher than league average just once in his career.

Alex Wells has been named Eastern League Pitcher of the Week.

Wells Named EL Pitcher of the Week

Lefty went 1-0 last week in starts at Erie, vs. Hartford

BOWIE, Md.- The Eastern League has announced that Baysox LHP Alex Wells has been selected as the Eastern League Pitcher of the Week for the period of May 27th-June 2nd.

The 6’1”, 190 lb. pitcher started two games for the Baysox last week and had a record of 1-0 with nine strikeouts and a 0.61 ERA. The Newcastle, NSW, Australia, native made his first appearance of the week in the series finale at Erie Monday afternoon. Despite taking a no-decision, Wells held the SeaWolves scoreless over seven innings, scattering five hits and striking out six batters in his third start of 7 IP (out of seven starts) in 2019.

Alex made his second start of the week on Sunday in the series finale against the Hartford Yard Goats, earning the win in front of the Prince George’s Stadium crowd by allowing one earned run on six hits in a season-long 7 2/3 innings – one out away from tying his career high. The lefty used 11 fly ball outs to help prevent Hartford from securing a series sweep in a 5-2 win.

The 22-year old led all Eastern League pitchers in innings pitched (14.2) last week and also finished ranked among the weekly league leaders in wins (1, T-2nd), WHIP (0.75, 6th), ERA (0.61, 8th), batting average against (.192, T-8th), and strikeouts (9, T-9th).

Alex, who is within the Top-30 prospects in the Baltimore organization by both Baseball America (No. 20) and MLB.com (No. 26), originally signed with the Orioles in August 29, 2015.

The Bowie Baysox 2019 season is presented by Money One Federal Credit Union. The Baysox return in 2019 to celebrate their 27th Season. To keep up with Baysox news, visit baysox.com and be sure to follow the Baysox on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Snapchat.

Contacts:

Robby Veronesi, Communications Manager

(301) 464-4851

rveronesi@baysox.com

########################

Veronesi

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

I think if Wells used his changeup more he'd have more strike outs. He has to have a high spin rate fastball because he gets a lot of swings and misses up on the pitch. 

Wells has such good command that he's able to stay out of the middle of the plate and he's very good at working all four quadrants of the zone. 

The more I see him have success against AA hitters the more I start thinking he might just quiet his naysayers. 

Maybe it's just when I watch him but I just don't see enough changeups from him. He has the perfect fastball curveball combination that would make a good changeup really tough to hit.