Time to DFA Nunez and bring (Fill in the blank) up?

wildcard

Nunez is 3 for his last 36 (.083) with no homers and no RBI in that period.  He is a liability at 3B and 1B.   He is out of options and therefore does not offer roster flexibility.  He is probably not part of the O's future.   Mountcastle, Mancini and Davis all probably project farther into the O's future for different reasons.   Nunez has no trade value.  None if he is not hitting and very little if he were hitting.  He may pass through waivers and if he doesn't what have the O's lost?  They has a lot of DH options.

Meanwhile,  Chance Sisco is tearing the cover off the ball.   He is hitting 524/630/1190/1820 in May with 4 homers and 12 RBI.  No-one can maintain those kind of averages but he is hot and could replace Nunez at DH.  With a three catcher alignment Hyde could have him catch some.  He has options.   He could be part of the O's future if he can refine his catching and show he can hit in the majors.  Catching coach Tim Cossins in supposed to be one of the best in the business and hitting coach Don Long gets nothing but praise from his players.

Then there is DJ Stewart who could also profile as a DH and he is hitting .340 in him last 10 games.

What is your take on this situation?

He, like many others currently on the 25 man, is very flawed.  I think the FO has a plan and when the AAA guys have done whatever it is they are hoping for (which could be service time related) I think we will start seeing roster movement with these guys.  It is hard to wait knowing some of the guys we are waiting for are beginning to do well.

I say stick with him. It’s not his fault we have a 3 man bench. In 360 PA since joining us last year he has a .750 OPS, with 13 HR and 38 RBI. 

If anything Davis needs to go, we need to have a 4 man bench, before we start releasing guys that have shown some talent. 

Gotta live with some cold streaks. 

There's no rush to bring Mountcastle or Sisco up. If we're going to judge Nunez based on a hot streak followed by a cold streak, it doesn't logically follow that we should deem Sisco ready to come up after a cold streak followed by a hot streak.

• Upvote 3

12 minutes ago, Camden_yardbird said:

Yea.  Let's damage the development and service time of our prospects to improve this 100 loss team.

And let's do so based on 10 game snap shots of players stats.  In the same post you criticize Nunez for his last 40 ABs (~10 games) and praise Stewart for his last 10 games.

Has Nunez being doing poorly, yes, but the rebuild is about so much more than 2 weeks of baseball, and I wish people started understanding that. 

It wouldn’t be “damaging the development and service time” of Sisco to bring him up. Service time isn’t really an issue for him, and he really hasn’t anything left to learn at AAA. His problem is transferring the success to the majors.

I don’t think we should bring him up yet but development issues have nothing to do with it.

Funny, two weeks ago people were talking up Núñez like he was the next Babe Ruth.    

Bottom line, the O’s shouldn’t make decisions based on what Núñez has done the last two weeks.   But do I think a time might come when Núñez is DFA?    Yes.   He’s a career .699 OPS hitter who’s a poor defender.    If he’s not north of .750 he really has no value.   He was at .804 for us last year, and .894 this year as of 2 weeks ago.   So, he gets some rope to emerge from this slump.    But he does need to emerge from it.   

• Upvote 3

6 hours ago, wildcard said:

Nunez is 3 for his last 36 (.083) with no homers and no RBI in that period.  

Meanwhile,  Chance Sisco is tearing the cover off the ball.   He is hitting 524/630/1190/1820 in May with 4 homers and 12 RBI.  

What is your take on this situation?

My take is never make decisions based on the results of 36 plate appearances.  You'd be better served with an Ouija board.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1