Chris Davis since he broke his 0-fer streak

Tony-OH

54 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

It’s good anytime any Orioles asset has higher value. It might make roster choices harder, but maybe it means the can dump Davis in a trade and “only” eat $60 million. Maybe he becomes a .900 OPS guy again and has real value. That’s good. 

Im not suggesting this is likely, but the worst case scenario is the O’s having to eat his entire salary. 

Isn't total O's payroll around $50 mil this year?  Not like his one terrible contract a really holding the team back from rebuilding with a payroll that low.  Not like the Orioles need to dump Davis in a trade if it hurts the return in players coming back.

36 minutes ago, CheeryO said:

Isn't total O's payroll around $50 mil this year?  Not like his one terrible contract a really holding the team back from rebuilding with a payroll that low.  Not like the Orioles need to dump Davis in a trade if it hurts the return in players coming back.

Davis, Cobb, and Cashner are probably $50 million. I'm not sure about the rest of the team. 

12 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

In case you were wondering why you don't dread seeing Chris Davis at the plate of late, he's slashing .290/.371/.581/.952 with 5 home runs in his last 21 games (70 PAs) since setting his record breaking 0-fer streak.

His 90.7 exit velocity and 50% hard hit% (50%) leads the team.

Its his best streak over 70 PAs since he slashed .288/.389/.661/1.050 with 5 HRs over 72 PAs between Jun 3rd to Jun 21st 2016 (At least that I could find).

I don't know if Davis has refound it, but he's certainly surprised me with this streak.

Good to see the guy find some positivity. Keep him away from LHP and keep his confidence high. Confidence and pressure are scary things, and I have to think he's loving coming to the ball park everyday. Good for him. 

9 hours ago, CheeryO said:

According to Spotrac, the O's current payroll ranks 28th at $73,505,400. Davis, Cobb, Trumbo and Cashner account for about $52mm of that, not including deferred salary.

I agree.  But I think it is more about context than really making an excuse.  At least for me.  Your point though is fair.  IF the reason Mancini has gone nearly 30 games without a home run is because he got hit on the hand, then I think at least a few days off was required and is exacerbating the problem.

But I believe and I think the O's believe, that isn't an issue.

3 minutes ago, foxfield said:

I agree.  But I think it is more about context than really making an excuse.  At least for me.  Your point though is fair.  IF the reason Mancini has gone nearly 30 games without a home run is because he got hit on the hand, then I think at least a few days off was required and is exacerbating the problem.

Yep, sometimes you hit them in bunches sometimes you hit a dry spell. 

1 hour ago, foxfield said:

Mancini had gone 16 games without a homer before he injured his hand.    In the 12 games since, he’s hit one homer and had one robbed by Jackie Bradley Jr.    I consider his hand injury pretty much a non-factor in his power slump.   

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, CheeryO said:

Were he to get back to, say, Circa 2015 Crush (OPS .792) in order to make him a useful part to a contender looking for some LH power, the amount of money you would still have to pay get anything decent in return negates the point of calling it a salary dump.  

The sole purpose of trading Davis is to remove his name from the 25 man roster to make room for someone else. Were someone to considering him worth $5M per year in his current state and the O's ate $16M, it's because Elias has decided it's that important to get Mountcastle onto the major league roster. 

10 minutes ago, WalkWithElias said:

Were he to get back to, say, Circa 2015 Crush (OPS .792) in order to make him a useful part to a contender looking for some LH power, the amount of money you would still have to pay get anything decent in return negates the point of calling it a salary dump.  

The sole purpose of trading Davis is to remove his name from the 25 man roster to make room for someone else. Were someone to considering him worth $5M per year in his current state and the O's ate $16M, it's because Elias has decided it's that important to get Mountcastle onto the major league roster. 

Or Mancini out of the outfield.