Chris Davis since he broke his 0-fer streak

Tony-OH

8 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

Lol. Part of me thinks that Tony pays you to drive traffic on this site. 

No give me one evidence of the Orioles spending any money below the minimum since the sons took control of the team?  When the Orioles don't sign anyone of any significance during the international signing period that starts shortly what will you say then?

Just now, atomic said:

No give me one evidence of the Orioles spending any money below the minimum since the sons took control of the team?  When the Orioles don't sign anyone of any significance during the international signing period that starts shortly what will you say then?

Sorry to jump in one of your posts but I almost agree with you on this point.

What they are going to say is, "They told us that you have to have a relationship with these players and that it would take a few years to start seeing results."

Because no way a 16 year old is going to go back on his word for 50K.

1 hour ago, atomic said:

They would'n't spend money on the Cuban international signings last summer.  They didn't sign one guy to a contract even of a million dollars this off-season.  They were able to get rid of O'Day's huge salary.  I am not sure what more evidence you need.  There is no news of them planning to build a new facility in the Dominican Republic.  Hyde was probably the cheapest guy they could get as he interviewed for something like 6 managerial jobs this off-season and was turned down.

We don't even have a scouting director do we?

They may have decided not to spend real money until they had a new GM in place for awhile with a vision and a plan.  If they pinch pennies from this year's draft going forward then it could be time to really question and blame.  It couldn't have been easy not only to take over from their father but completely change direction too.  

Just now, CheeryO said:

They may have decided not to spend real money until they had a new GM in place for awhile with a vision and a plan.  If they pinch pennies from this year's draft going forward then it could be time to really question and blame.  It couldn't have been easy not only to take over from their father but completely change direction too.  

I'll be shocked if they are so blatant that they don't spend on the draft.  That is easily tracked and would be newsworthy on both a local and national level.

6 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

That's what happens when you have no long term plan for success and an owner who did things on his own accord. Hopefully both are different now. We know Elias has a long term plan, but the question is, will John/Lou be able to stay in the background and give him the time to implement said plan. All the sighs so far seem to point to yes, but time will tell.

After all, Daenerys was all breaker of chains and doing good until she ultimately went all mad queen and laid waste to the city and the people in it. Clearly this is fiction, but the point is, only time will prove what kinds of owners John/Lou will be.

Well said, and I agree with you; but it looks like others on these boards are not convinced John and Lou have the will to spend money and turn things around.  I think we'll know a lot more after the draft and after signings start to happen.

4 minutes ago, CheeryO said:

Well said, and I agree with you; but it looks like others on these boards are not convinced John and Lou have the will to spend money and turn things around.  I think we'll know a lot more after the draft and after signings start to happen.

I don't think it's a matter of Will, I think it's a matter of Won't. 

?

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'll be shocked if they are so blatant that they don't spend on the draft.  That is easily tracked and would be newsworthy on both a local and national level.

Agreed, my point was more that maybe they didn't want to empower or spend big on things outside of the draft last year until they replaced both Duquette and Showalter.  If they don't empower Elias to spend on international players (among other things) this year, then it will be time to get suspicious. 

On the other hand, the other thing that is always lurking over the shoulder of the Angelos family is the situation with MASN.  If atomic is right that they will continue to be cheap all over the place, legal tie ups with MASN could be their excuse, whether it's legitimate or not.  You also have to wonder that if the Angelos' keep butting heads with MLB and the Nationals over the MASN issue they'll come under strong pressure to sell the team.

19 minutes ago, CheeryO said:

This is certainly a valid POV, but I would say it wanders into bad opinion territory when folks start using their suspicions re: something that's yet to happen as affirmative evidence AGAINST the new regime.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, CheeryO said:

Why would you have to spend money for a team in Baltimore? You just need to win.  

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

If they spend $4 million under their slots I don't think it would be national news.