Keon Broxton acquired and more (DFA Broxton- Claimed by Mariners))

Legend_Of_Joey

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

First O'Day extension.  Markakis

O's don't sign a lot of long term deals.

Yeah but I’m specifically referring to those in the Duquette era. The extensions were more successful because the players were known quantities, but the long term FA contracts were almost all disasters.

17 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

And Elias is figuring out how to draft a CF next month that will make worrying about these two players a moot point in a couple years. 

I thought we had Austin Hays for that?

5 minutes ago, Philip said:

Yeah but I’m specifically referring to those in the Duquette era. The extensions were more successful because the players were known quantities, but the long term FA contracts were almost all disasters.

Need to measure it across long term FA agreements signed across MLB during the same time to see if he was better or worse.  If we're going to comp him, need to see how he comps to others doing the same thing at the same time.  

I have a feeling most long term FA contracts don't pan out super well.  Hence the recent surge we saw in the spring of extension signing.  

11 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Need to measure it across long term FA agreements signed across MLB during the same time to see if he was better or worse.  If we're going to comp him, need to see how he comps to others doing the same thing at the same time.  

I have a feeling most long term FA contracts don't pan out super well.  Hence the recent surge we saw in the spring of extension signing.  

Well my comment was mainly just an aside, but if you look, not at extensions, but at long-term free-agent contracts since 2012, I think every most we signed have been disasters.

1 minute ago, Philip said:

Well my comment was mainly just an aside, but if you look, not at extensions, but at long-term free-agent contracts since 2012, I think every most we signed have been disasters.

Right.  I'm assuming we're below league average in that department.  I would be curious to see what teams have a good success rate at LTFA deals.  

Not a single red flag for any of them.  Just bad luck.

Who could see that those deals wouldn't work out?

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Not a single red flag for any of them.  Just bad luck.

Who could see that those deals wouldn't work out?

Gallardo and Jimenez  weren’t terrible even at the time? No, I strongly disagree with that. I think they were both awful signings and everybody in town laughed at the Orioles for making them. 

Gallardo and Jimenez  weren’t terrible even at the time? No, I strongly disagree with that. I think they were both awful signings and everybody in town laughed at the Orioles for making them. 

Didn't read the board back then?

I was strongly against all those deals.  

1 hour ago, interloper said:

For the reason I just said, which is that Hyde was just noting how he has no SP depth. Yefry made 12 starts last year and is only 25 and has options. I'm not defending his ability as a pitcher, nor am I griping about his DFA, I just think there are some other candidates to get the axe first. 

But ultimately, he was DFA-bound at some point, probably. 

I found that move surprising.   

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I found that move surprising.   

It’s highly doubtful that anyone will claim Ramirez, and we can just send him to AAA. No one that we designate has any value to any team, so they would almost certainly make it through waivers and be outrighted to wherever.