Mancini Trade Package

bird watcher

3 hours ago, Pheasants said:

A question I think is important to his future: How well is Mancini hitting as a DH? I tried MLB and CBS and their stats did not give me a sorted stat for when he was just DH.  Does anyone have a source that separates this?

Baseball Reference breaks this out: 

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/split.fcgi?id=mancitr01&year=2018&t=b

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

But 49 PA are not enough to reach a conclusion.

You're certainly correct.

FWIW, he has an .836 OPS as a DH this season, his highest for any position in 2018.  In 197 PA at DH for his career, he has an .897 OPS, higher than as a 1B or LF.

Can't draw a conclusion from it, but the (limited) evidence most certainly doesn't indicate that he's worse as a DH.

23 hours ago, baltfan said:

How about Bobby Dickerson for manager?  He is the only coach I want to keep.  The team is going to suck.  Maybe give him a shot.

I think this is a decent idea.  Bobby managed in the minors for 10 years and is well respected by the current players.   I do think Russell is good with the catchers. He might be a good coach to stay also

26 minutes ago, wildcard said:

What the heck happened to him in the first half?

It’s not really the first half, more like the middle third.

First 41 games: .787 OPS

Next 58 games: .550 OPS

Next 36 games: .973 OPS

I wish there was some obvious reason, but I think the truth is that Mancini got into a rut, started pressing and had trouble breaking out of it.   It happens a lot in baseball.    

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

It’s not really the first half, more like the middle third.

First 41 games: .787 OPS

Next 58 games: .550 OPS

Next 36 games: .973 OPS

I wish there was some obvious reason, but I think the truth is that Mancini got into a rut, started pressing and had trouble breaking out of it.   It happens a lot in baseball.    

I thought I remembered him having some sort of injury.   I'm wondering if it was a nagging thing that he's finally over?

46 minutes ago, clapdiddy said:

I thought I remembered him having some sort of injury.   I'm wondering if it was a nagging thing that he's finally over?

Yeah, this has been discussed before, and I think it’s unlikely.   Mancini hurt his knee on April 20, and had a .771 OPS at the time.   Over the next 19 games, he put up an .806 OPS.    Then his slump started.   I don’t see a connection, nor do I see why he’d suddenly get better on some random date at the end of July.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Yeah, this has been discussed before, and I think it’s unlikely.   Mancini hurt his knee on April 20, and had a .771 OPS at the time.   Over the next 19 games, he put up an .806 OPS.    Then his slump started.   I don’t see a connection, nor do I see why he’d suddenly get better on some random date at the end of July.

OK...I thought the slump coincided with his injury.   Nice to see that he's "recovered".

4 hours ago, Frobby said:

Sounds like the pitchers made an adjustment, and he was slow making his adjustment.

• Upvote 1