Who do you want the Orioles to pick at 1-1?

Frobby

Who do you want the Orioles to pick at 1-1?  

172 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want the Orioles to pick at 1-1?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 06/03/19 at 22:55

47 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

I don't think I graduated with any 19 year olds except people who repeated grades. The oldest kid I knew had an August birthday, so was 18 years 10 months when he graduated. I was 18 years 2 months, which was on the younger side. 17 was rare, but there were a couple kids I believe. 

Most everyone around here would graduate late May.  Say your graduation date is May 28th.  Anyone born between May 29th  and August 31st should be 17 when they graduate.  If you are born in September or early October they usually let you decide if you are ready to start Kindergarten at 4 or wait a year.  No one should be 19.

1 minute ago, atomic said:

Most everyone around here would graduate late May.  Say your graduation date is May 28th.  Anyone born between May 29th  and August 31st should be 17 when they graduate.  If you are born in September or early October they usually let you decide if you are ready to start Kindergarten at 4 or wait a year.  No one should be 19.

It was late June when I was in school, but yeah, no one was 19, that's what I said. 

9 minutes ago, orioles22 said:

We have some freshmen who are 16.

When I was in middle school we had some 16 year olds in middle school. One of them was still in 8th grade when he turned 18.  Him and a couple of other students burned the middle school to the ground.  He was the only one to serve jail time as the others were 13 and 14.  Think he got 3 or 4 years.  

1 hour ago, ArtVanDelay said:

I was 16 for the first month of my senior year, didn't get my driver's license until a couple months before graduation.  I was the youngest kid in my class. 

My brother was like you.  Didn’t turn 17 until Dec. 27 of his senior year.    Two of my three kids didn’t turn 17 until Sept. 25/Oct. 2 of their senior years.    Could have held them back when they were little, but we couldn’t wait to get them out of the house!   ?

2 hours ago, joelala said:

Aaaand back to the draft. 

The only player in the top 4 I’d be moderately disappointed with would be Vaughn. 

I agree. I think it is down to Adley, Witt, Abrams. I just can’t see Vaughn. Maybe if he was Prince Fielder (not the resulting career just the upside at draft). 

Not sure I understand why Abrams is ok, but not Vaughn. Yeah, Abrams has crazy speed and very good defense but the bat is a big question mark. Vaughn is a much safer pick with elite offensive potential. Yeah he doesn't play a premium position but it doesn't matter how good your defense is if you can't hit.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, sevastras said:

I agree. I think it is down to Adley, Witt, Abrams. I just can’t see Vaughn. Maybe if he was Prince Fielder (not the resulting career just the upside at draft). 

Prince Fielder produced more during his pre-FA years than a typical 70-grade prospect according to Fangraphs (they have the mean value at around 12 WAR during pre-FA years.  Fielder was at 20 WAR with the Brewers.) You don’t sign a 280 lb TTO player long term but we should consider ourselves fortunate to have a player with Fielder’s production pre-FA.

• Upvote 1

I’d be happy with Witt or Adley.  I’m not as big on the other two at 1:1.  I’m just not sure why we’d take Abrams over Witt at 1:1 unless there is something everyone but the O’s are missing in this situation.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Hallas said:

I’d be happy with Witt or Adley.  I’m not as big on the other two at 1:1.  I’m just not sure why we’d take Abrams over Witt at 1:1 unless there is something everyone but the O’s are missing in this situation.

Every evaluation I've seen puts a higher hit grade on Abrams and from what I've seen it's better pure bat speed and excellent eye-hand. The big plus for Witt is that he gets to all his power in game right now. Abrams to be worth a 2/3 overall pick requires a team have some confidence they can teach players to lift and drive the ball. 

I have Witt ranked in front of Abrams, but I think it's a very small gap.