Who do you want the Orioles to pick at 1-1?

Frobby

Who do you want the Orioles to pick at 1-1?  

172 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want the Orioles to pick at 1-1?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 06/03/19 at 22:55

1 minute ago, Justinlstn said:

I know my choice is unpopular and won't happen but I rather have Vaughn. If Rutschman wasn't a catcher I'd be fine taking him. Vaughn is an elite bat that won't be hampered by playing a brutal position like Rutschman. 

You could always just move Rutschman to first.  Would get you a switch hitting first baseman that was more than six feet tall.

• Upvote 1

The thing is Adley's bat is better than the other potential picks.  And he is a switch hitter.  And his defense is outstanding.  And he is at a position where working with your developing pitching staff together will be a key to winning.  And his character is off the charts.     Hard to see the scenario that he is not the pick as he is head and shoulders above the other 3, imho.    A Buster Posey, 41.2 WAR in his 10 years to date or Joe Mauer  55 WAR career would be just fine with me.   And then move on to find another position to upgrade for our next winner.    But, of course, I will trust ME to know best.  

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

The thing is Adley's bat is better than the other potential picks.  And he is a switch hitter.  And his defense is outstanding.  And he is at a position where working with your developing pitching staff together will be a key to winning.  And his character is off the charts.     Hard to see the scenario that he is not the pick as he is head and shoulders above the other 3, imho.    A Buster Posey, 41.2 WAR in his 10 years to date or Joe Mauer  55 WAR career would be just fine with me.   And then move on to find another position to upgrade for our next winner.    But, of course, I will trust ME to know best.  

Mauer?  He held the Twins back all these years!  Now that he's finally gone and they have a real first baseman they are taking it to the next level.

41 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

Yeah if Adley doesnt turn out to be an elite bat he still could end up like Wieters.  If you pick a first baseman and his bat doesnt turn out to be elite you end up with a bust 

• Upvote 2

40 minutes ago, atomic said:

Yeah if Adley doesnt turn out to be an elite bat he still could end up like Wieters.  If you pick a first baseman and his bat doesnt turn out to be elite you end up with a bust 

He'd have to be a Keith Hernandez level defender for the bat not to be there and still have some value.  And Hernandez was still a really good hitter, just didn't have a lot of power.

2 hours ago, weams said:

No JJ Bleday?

I like Bleday, I just think he is out for 1:1.  

11 hours ago, Tryptamine said:

Not sure I understand why Abrams is ok, but not Vaughn. Yeah, Abrams has crazy speed and very good defense but the bat is a big question mark. Vaughn is a much safer pick with elite offensive potential. Yeah he doesn't play a premium position but it doesn't matter how good your defense is if you can't hit.

Abrams can hit, he just didnt put up 25 homeruns in his freshman year of college.  Abrams just isnt getting the media hype.  He has tons of potential and with some work and about 20 pounds on his frame he has the chance to really be something.  

47 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

He'd have to be a Keith Hernandez level defender for the bat not to be there and still have some value.  And Hernandez was still a really good hitter, just didn't have a lot of power.

Not if he sticks at catcher.

Which is an option.  If the pick is a catcher.

Not if he is a first baseman.  

Which was the point.

9 hours ago, Hallas said:

I’d be happy with Witt or Adley.  I’m not as big on the other two at 1:1.  I’m just not sure why we’d take Abrams over Witt at 1:1 unless there is something everyone but the O’s are missing in this situation.

I agree. 

One other variable about Witt is that as a high school phenom, he has not had to deal with anything approaching failure on a baseball field yet and then having to work to change his approach.   Adley apparently had to rework his swing and approach after his freshman year because his performance dropped coming from high school to college ball.    Some high school phenoms make the adjustment to the minors, others do not do near as well.    

1 hour ago, Curse of the Bamdino said:

Rutschman wasn't my first choice, but he is an Oriole now (well, pending signing), and I hope he does well.

That said, I can't shake the feeling that we're going to revisit this draft years from now and lament not having taken BWJ.

You could also be dancing happy feet in a few years, if BWJ is a wash out.

Note saying that he is.

You just never know about these things, when you draft em.