The 1st Base Runners Lane

OFFNY

o

I just viewed a call in a game between the Blue Jays and the D-Rays which was very controversial.

Actually, the rule itself is very controversial in the first place.

Mikie Mahtook hit a little dribbler in front of home plate. He ran directly to first base. After the Blue Jays threw the ball away, the umpire called the runner (Mahtook) out for "not running in the runner's lane." The problem is that first base is entirely in fair territory, and the runner's lane is entirely in foul territory.

So ........ how is a batter ........ particularly a right-handed batter ........ supposed to run from the batter's box across the foul line into the runner's lane, stay in the runner's lane for about 87 or 88 feet, and then at the last moment cross his stride over back to the bag ??? Just thinking about that sounds like a good way to injure yourself.

So in my rat's ass of an opinion, in addition to the fact there is an obvious problem with the fact that according to the rules a player CANNOT run in a straight line from the batter's box to 1st base, there is also an issue of the baserunners' safety.

Thanks for bearing with me, and I hope that I explained myself well enough to be understood.

o

o

I just viewed a call in a game between the Blue Jays and the Rays which was very controversial.

Mikie Mahtook hit a little dribbler in front of home plate. He ran directly to first base. After the Blue Jays threw the ball away, the umpire called the runner (Mahtook) out for "not running in the runner's lane." The problem is that first base is entirely in fair territory, and the runner's lane is entirely in foul territory.

So ........ how is a batter ...... especially a right-handed batter ...... supposed to run from the batter's box across the foul line into the runner's lane, stay in the runner's lane for about 87 or 88 feet, and then at the last moment cross his stride over back to the bag ??? Just thinking about that sounds like a good way to injure yourself.

So in my rat''s ass of an opinion, in addition to the fact there is an obvious problem with the fact that according to the rules a player CANNOT run in a straight line from the batter's box to 1st base, there is also an issue of the baserunners' safety.

Thanks for bearing with me, and I hope that I explained myself well enough to be understood.

As you are keen on Orioles history, I refer you to game 4 of the 1969 World Series, in which Pete Richert hit J.C. Martin in the back after Martin bunted. Martin was in fair territory, and should have been called out. But the ruling went against the O's, the runner who had been on second base scored on what was ruled Richert's throwing error, and the Mets never looked back.

Every time that rule comes up now, I think about that play.

This happened with the Orioles on a dropped third strike. Alvarez got hit by the throw. He wasn't ruled out, but could have been.

If he would have been ruled out, though, it would have been the wrong call, since Alvarez was on the foul side of the line when he ran to first. It was the fault of Perez (the Indians catcher) for staying put and not sidestepping to create a lane. Even Terry Francona said the same after the game.

• Upvote 1

If he would have been ruled out, though, it would have been the wrong call, since Alvarez was on the foul side of the line when he ran to first. It was the fault of Perez (the Indians catcher) for staying put and not sidestepping to create a lane. Even Terry Francona said the same after the game.

This is true.

If you run down the runners lane then when you reach the base your left foot is in perfect alignment to hit the base. The only reason to wonder into fair ground is if your right foot is going to be in stride to hit the base. If you actually focus on your running then you should always hit with your left anyways since that is what is taught from little league.

o

I just viewed a call in a game between the Blue Jays and the Rays which was very controversial.

So ........ how is a batter ...... especially a right-handed batter ...... supposed to run from the batter's box across the foul line into the runner's lane, stay in the runner's lane for about 87 or 88 feet, and then at the last moment cross his stride over back to the bag ??? Just thinking about that sounds like a good way to injure yourself.

So in my rat''s ass of an opinion, in addition to the fact there is an obvious problem with the fact that according to the rules a player CANNOT run in a straight line from the batter's box to 1st base, there is also an issue of the baserunners' safety.

Remember, these players have been playing with this same rule since they were playing 9U. It isn't really that difficult. BTW, the running lane doesn't begin immediately. It starts halfway down to first, so it isn't very difficult or unnatural for a right-handed batter to get himself on the proper side of the foul line in the distance provided. The runner has control over the line he is running. If he runs in fair territory all the way to first on a play like that, he has interfered with the fielder's opportunity to make a play. The rule is a fair one.

The problem with this rule is that it is not enforced consistently. With replay it should be easy to determine if a runner is in the proper lane or not. Yet runners often are not called out even if they are in fair territory and block a throw to first.

I'm sure that it may happen occasionally. Often? Very doubtful.

All players learn from an early age to run down the foul side of the line. It is a real safety hazard to do otherwise. On normal infield plays, where the runner is not going to be in the way of the throw, the runner still needs to be on the foul side of the bag and the first baseman on the fair side of the bag, or else there can be some nasty collisions. This really isn't an issue for the players, guys. They are well aware of what they should do.

Number5 said:

Remember, these players have been playing with this same rule since they were playing 9U. It isn't really that difficult. BTW, the running lane doesn't begin immediately. It starts halfway down to first, so it isn't very difficult or unnatural for a right-handed batter to get himself on the proper side of the foul line in the distance provided. The runner has control over the line he is running. If he runs in fair territory all the way to first on a play like that, he has interfered with the fielder's opportunity to make a play. The rule is a fair one.

o

The Rays' announcer last night asserted that he has never seen a right-handed batter use the runner's lane. If you go directly from the batter's box to 1st base, you will not be in the runner's lane.

And frankly, even though I usually don't pay attention to batters running from home plate to 1st base to unless a call such as last night's is made, but he was emphatic about it.

What I will do is try to look specifically how the right-handed batter's run from home plate to 1st base, even though they rarely show that.

You may be correct, but any time that I can remember a batter (particularly a right-handed batter) running from home plate to 1st base, they have always made a beeline from point A (the batter's box) to Point B (1st base) ........ which does not include the runner's lane, which is in foul territory.

o

The Rays' announcer last night asserted that he has never seen a right-handed batter use the runner's lane. If you go directly from the batter's box to 1st base, you will not be in the runner's lane.

And frankly, even though I usually don't pay attention to batters running from home plate to 1st base to unless a call such as last night's is made, I have to agree with him.

What I will do is try to look specifically how the right-handed batter's run from home plate to 1st base, even though they rarely show that.

I am a right handed batter. I always run on the foul side of the line and touched the foul side of the bag on any infield play at first, as I was coached to do from an early age. Everyone I know does the same. Running in fair territory would result in collisions with the first baseman. Of this I have zero doubt. Really, this is just simply not a problem for the players. On hits to the outfield, players run even further into foul territory in order to get an angle to cut the inside corner of the bag as they turn toward second. I really don't know who the Rays' announcer is, but he has clearly never really watched the runners. They run in foul territory, believe me.

Number5 said:

I am a right handed batter. I always run on the foul side of the line and touched the foul side of the bag on any infield play at first, as I was coached to do from an early age. Everyone I know does the same. Running in fair territory would result in collisions with the first baseman. Of this I have zero doubt. Really, this is just simply not a problem for the players. On hits to the outfield, players run even further into foul territory in order to get an angle to cut the inside corner of the bag as they turn toward second. I really don't know who the Rays' announcer is, but he has clearly never really watched the runners. They run in foul territory, believe me.

o

You seem certain about this, and if you are indeed correct, I will stand corrected.

Again, for my own curiosity, I will try to watch right-handed batters running from home plate to 1st base on ground balls, bunts, and infield dribblers in the near future.

o

• 2 weeks later...