What's with the Yusniel regression?

interloper

2 hours ago, bobmc said:

In Roch's latest, Buck Britton gives his impressions of the young man:

“I think right field is where he’s going to end up,” Britton said. “Now, his arm for me out there probably at best is average, but it’s one of those things, too, where he hasn’t really had his legs, so he hasn’t really been able to get in his legs and really show off what he has. But if I had to guess, probably an average arm in right field. But if he can stay healthy, he can really run and he’s got a chance.

“I don’t know if he’s going to be a big time home run guy, but he’s going to be a guy who hits some doubles and with his speed he can be very interesting.”

“I think he’s definitely a prospect just because of the tools that he does have,” Britton said. “But he really needs to have his legs under him because I don’t think he’s going to be the big bopper per se. I think he’s going to hit a lot of doubles. He’s going to hit some home runs in the big leagues, but I don’t think he’s going to be like Chris Davis when Chris Davis was really good at hit 40-45 homers. That’s not going to happen, I don’t think."

https://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2019/08/thoughts-on-mountcastle-and-diaz.html

Interesting comments from Buck, who I still can't believe is managing a team at age 33 (I love it). 

I would be thrilled if Diaz was a dependable RFer with an average arm, a 20 homer bat with a knack for driving in runs, and brought some speed on the bases now and then. 

THRILLED. 

5 hours ago, interloper said:

Interesting comments from Buck, who I still can't believe is managing a team at age 33 (I love it). 

I would be thrilled if Diaz was a dependable RFer with an average arm, a 20 homer bat with a knack for driving in runs, and brought some speed on the bases now and then. 

THRILLED. 

He also has shown pretty good OBP in his minor league numbers. Decent defense, 20 HRs, decent OBP would profile just fine. 

On 8/23/2019 at 11:27 AM, Tony-OH said:

Diaz is the perfect candidate to be sent to the AFL. I'd be shocked if he's not one of the players sent.

I’m guessing 1. Missed time and 2. Prospect status play into this opinion, but are there other reasons why a player might get sent to the AFL?

7 hours ago, MurphDogg said:

Diaz 2-3 today with a walk to finish the season at .262/.335/.472.

Among players with 138 ABs, he was 15th in the Eastern League in OPS.

Among players 24 and younger that had at least 138 ABs he was 10th out of 63 in OPS.

Among players 23 and younger that had at least 138 ABs he was 8th out of 45 in OPS.

Among players 22 and younger that had at least 138 ABs he was 4th out of 19 in OPS.

Since June 12th (one game after this thread started), his line was .291/.364/.558. That .922 OPS would have been good enough for 2nd in the Eastern League, behind 25 year-old, Hunter Owen.

Solid season by Diaz, hope he can stay healthy and be up at some point next season.

That's what's up with the Yusniel progression.  Otoh, it's disappointing that he never played in AAA in 2019 considering he played the entire 2018 season in AA with an .841 OPS - granted the majority of it was in the Texas League - not to mention he also played 31 games in AA in 2017.  It seems quite unusual to have a highly rated prospect have 3 seasons at AA without even getting a taste of AAA.