Who will represent us in the All-Star Game?

Aglets

4 minutes ago, jamalshw said:

Does Cora still get to pick? I can't recall what the selection process is anymore. But assuming so, does it matter that while Mancini has hit well against the Sox he hasn't hit a homer and has just one RBI? Or does it matter that Means has allowed two runs in 12 innings against Boston?

Fans get a vote, players get a vote and the manager picks the last few spots.  We know the fans aren't going to put in any O's and I don't think it is likely that the players will.

I think what is going to happen is that Cora is going to look at who is already on the team and look at the teams that don't have a player and try and find the best match.  If he needs an outfielder it will be Mancini, if he needs a pitcher it won't be.

Once he's done doing that he'll stack the rest of the rosters with as many Red Sox that he can.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm sorry but I don't see the relevance.  The are going to have to pick an Oriole player that fits into the rest of the roster.  I don't think Cora is going to be worried about rewarding the face of the rebuild.

I understand what you’re saying and agree to a point. But I think Mancini is our man and I’d bet Cora picks him too.

If Means keeps pitching well I would assume it would be him.  I think everyone having a player and expanding the roster has made the all-star game meaningless.  

If Means doesn't keep pitching well I don't think we deserve a representative.  Just tell the league we pass.

27 minutes ago, oriole said:

I understand what you’re saying and agree to a point. But I think Mancini is our man and I’d bet Cora picks him too.

I thought everyone wanted Mancini traded. You guys sure can't make up your minds. 

6 minutes ago, atomic said:

I thought everyone wanted Mancini traded. You guys sure can't make up your minds. 

I do want him traded, but not if he won’t being back a worthwhile return. He won’t, so he stays.

1 hour ago, oriole said:

44 minutes ago, atomic said:

Those aren't mutually exclusive positions...

1 hour ago, atomic said:

If Means keeps pitching well I would assume it would be him.  I think everyone having a player and expanding the roster has made the all-star game meaningless.  

If Means doesn't keep pitching well I don't think we deserve a representative.  Just tell the league we pass.

Um...news flash.  The All Star Game IS meaningless.  Its an exhibition.  What are you saying?  

I wouldn't be shocked if, just by virtue of roster construction, Cora picked Means. However, absent that, it will be our most well-known and performing player. 

BTW, I want to go on record as saying that WAR undersells bats like Mancini's by overvaluing/misvaluing defense. 

2 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

I wouldn't be shocked if, just by virtue of roster construction, Cora picked Means. However, absent that, it will be our most well-known and performing player. 

BTW, I want to go on record as saying that WAR undersells bats like Mancini's by overvaluing/misvaluing defense. 

Would be interested to hear more here.  Not challenging your conclusion, just interested to hear how you got there.

Archived