The value of the slots...

AceKing

4 minutes ago, Aglets said:

You've made this clear........once or twice.   maybe

So before July 1st of this year how about we get something a little more clearly defined..........a true line in the sand.

Let's just consider a total spending number.

How much will Elias have to spend to convince you personally that the organizational philosophy has changed on this topic?

85% of pool sounds reasonable.

For the record I am not saying it was necessarily an anti-international player bias in play this year, just a you can't have that much money thing.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

It's hilarious how people keep pushing the Orioles' line that their was nothing worth signing when the teams we traded slot money found people they thought were worth signing.

Maybe the Orioles have enough of the same type of talent you see the Cubs have signed to fill out their rosters and moved the remainder of the International Slots to make some use of them. Perhaps, they are saving their actual money (not slots providing the opportunity to spend) for the years to come. They are investing a good amount in the infrastructure of the international scouting program, as well as the development side of things as well. There is only so much money they can realistically spend at the moment. Loss of revenue and the MASN dispute looming over the heads of the ownership certainly has to keep things conservative, no?

All of the anecdotal shock value of “21 players,” although a bit funny, really is useless. How many of those players will likely get to AA? Or even High A? 

For me, I give them a pass for this year.  But I understand your point from previous threads. I want to see that real commitment as well. I would hope we all do. 

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

Let me know if any of the 21 they signed with the Araujo money turns into anything.     

That will be at least 5 years from now and what will you give us if one of them becomes a star? The tradings slots was about not spending money. 

4 minutes ago, Jammer7 said:

Maybe the Orioles have enough of the same type of talent you see the Cubs have signed to fill out their rosters and moved the remainder of the International Slots to make some use of them. Perhaps, they are saving their actual money (not slots providing the opportunity to spend) for the years to come. They are investing a good amount in the infrastructure of the international scouting program, as well as the development side of things as well. There is only so much money they can realistically spend at the moment. Loss of revenue and the MASN dispute looming over the heads of the ownership certainly has to keep things conservative, no?

All of the anecdotal shock value of “21 players,” although a bit funny, really is useless. How many of those players will likely get to AA? Or even High A? 

For me, I give them a pass for this year.  But I understand your point from previous threads. I want to see that real commitment as well. I would hope we all do. 

Some people will  make excuses no matter what the team does. Infrastructure? LOL. Every other team has a brand new multi million dollar facility.  You can’t even find a photo of the Orioles facility.

1 minute ago, atomic said:

That will be at least 5 years from now and what will you give us if one of them becomes a star? The tradings slots was about not spending money. 

But we got Pedro Araujo!

Tom Eshelman!

What if these guys win some Cy Young awards for us?   I feel like no one is taking this possibility into account........

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

85% of pool sounds reasonable.

For the record I am not saying it was necessarily an anti-international player bias in play this year, just a you can't have that much money thing.

If it was purely a money problem, wouldn't Elias have declined to sign Karns ($800k) or traded Villar ($4.825M) or Bundy ($2.8M) or Givens ($2.15M) or even the competitive balance pick ($884k) to get some cash if he thought there were worthy players out there to sign? 

I know you saw the article saying there is no plan to trade any slots this upcoming period. Let's hope they spend 85% or more.

2 minutes ago, Aglets said:

But we got Pedro Araujo!

Tom Eshelman!

What if these guys win some Cy Young awards for us?   I feel like no one is taking this possibility into account........

I wonder how many Cy Young award winner were pitching in relief at AA on their 26th birthday?

3 minutes ago, makoman said:

If it was purely a money problem, wouldn't Elias have declined to sign Karns ($800k) or traded Villar ($4.825M) or Bundy ($2.8M) or Givens ($2.15M) or even the competitive balance pick ($884k) to get some cash if he thought there were worthy players out there to sign? 

I know you saw the article saying there is no plan to trade any slots this upcoming period. Let's hope they spend 85% or more.

As much as I favor spending on pre-service time players they did have to make some effort to field a ML team. 

Yes I did see the article and despite the article I set my personal goal for them to 85% not 100%.

6 minutes ago, makoman said:

Maybe they could trade for some and go over 100, percent.  Trumbo and Cashners salary will be gone next year and I suspect Villar’s as well.

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

Let me know if any of the 21 they signed with the Araujo money turns into anything.     

2 hours ago, Philip said:

(Applause)

I don't care.  I'd rather have 21 guys at 35k each.  Sure, the chances aren't great but neither was Pedro Arajuououowowow.  

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

I don't care.  I'd rather have 21 guys at 35k each.  Sure, the chances aren't great but neither was Pedro Arajuououowowow.  

Where are all these guys going to play? Contrary to popular opinion, we don't have unlimited spaces for these kids. The Orioles have already signed the players they deemed worthy of paying this year. They gave out multiple 100k+ bonuses. Next year they have the highest pool you can have. I would MUCH rather them fill the rosters with higher caliber players from a fresh market with that pool.

5 minutes ago, LTO's said:

Where are all these guys going to play? Contrary to popular opinion, we don't have unlimited spaces for these kids. The Orioles have already signed the players they deemed worthy of paying this year. They gave out multiple 100k+ bonuses. Next year they have the highest pool you can have. I would MUCH rather them fill the rosters with higher caliber players from a fresh market with that pool.

Dunno.  I just like to whine and not offer solutions.  :) 

15 minutes ago, LTO's said:

Right. It's essentially another full DSL team. Not sure why that cannot happen, but that's what it would have taken.

[Edit: looks like Frobby says we already did add another DSL team.]

Archived