Gulf Coast League

weams

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, jcarm said:

Interesting, he was an all star in the Northwoods League this summer http://northwoods.bbstats.pointstreak.com/player.html?playerid=1367841

He had TJ surgery in December 2017, is 3 years out of high school and, as stated in the link above had committed to playing for Oklahoma State next year after playing for San Joaquin Delta College, a Junior College in Stockton, CA. He evidently redshirted his Sophomore year and would have been a redshirt Junior for Oklahoma State next year. Maybe he is more than just filler. I would bet he got a pretty decent bonus to sign ($100K or more). Since the Orioles had some money left from their draft slots, they could have gone over $125K with the amount over that counting against their slot money. The rules for undrafted free agents are the same as signings after the 10th round in the draft.

I forgot to note, drafted players had a July 12 deadline to sign this year. That deadline does not apply to undrafted free agents. I am not sure what the deadline for them is, I just know that, if there is one, it is later than drafted players.

7 minutes ago, MCO'sFan said:

Does anyone know what kind of prospect (used in its general sense) Andrew Jayne may be? I coached his twin brother this summer.

I’ve seen some grainy high school video and read a report or two, athletic multi sport guy, more of drafting the body than drafting the baseball player. Not more than a speculative prospect at this point, very raw.

I read that his brother stood out in summer league, what’s your scouting report on him?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Luke-OH said:

I’ve seen some grainy high school video and read a report or two, athletic multi sport guy, more of drafting the body than drafting the baseball player. Not more than a speculative prospect at this point, very raw.

I read that his brother stood out in summer league, what’s your scouting report on him?

Actually, (and not surprisingly) not very different. Very athletic, big frame, plus runner. Average arm, hit tool is inconsistent. Routes are inconsistent in the outfield. Great attitude, great teammate and is eager to learn! He is the kind of guy that visually stands out. Just finished his Freshman year at ECU, not much PT. Can be solid prospect if it clicks. He is a LHH and thrower (Brother is RHH/Thrower). Gets out of the box really well, his speed surprises people. 

• Upvote 1