O's claim IF Jose Rondon from White Sox

interloper

2 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

You're not gonna find a DFA type that offers something we don't already have.  

And since he's not great, not having options is irrelevant.  We can option him, good chance he doesn't get picked up and we can send him to Bowie or Norfolk.  If he does get claimed by someone else it's not a big loss.  

Right.. 

It looks like he had a decent 100 ABs last year.  Also looks like he swings at everything too.  Big SLG at AAA last year.  Had a solid April, then it looks like the league figured him out.  He also wasn't getting consistent at bats, so its hard to find a rhythm sometimes.  Age 25.  I like this sign.  More enticing than what we got at AAA.  I wonder if his power is real?

Apparently he played in the 2014 Futures game when he was in the San Diego system.

49 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

You gotta think this is depth move in case this happens. If Villar is traded, that would leave Martin as the only legitimate defensive SS on the roster. Albert and Peterson would be well below average defensive SSs.

It's as simple as this.  If Martin were to get hurt we wouldn't have a MLB caliber defensive SS in the system.  The other guys aren't.  

1 hour ago, Lucky_13 said:

Plus there's really no harm.  Maybe they saw an adjustment they could make to make him a better player.  If he sucks he gets DFA'd.

I think these are moves you make at the beginning of a rebuild.  Claim interesting players and see if they become anything. 

Or maybe it is just that somebody has to play out the season when you trade Alberto, Villar, etc. etc. 

1 hour ago, interloper said:

I feel like I addressed this in my post, but alright. No worries, agree to disagree. 

I understand, no worries, and frankly if they want to bring them on board, that’s fine, I just don’t think it’s necessary. Roster churn to no advantage is wasted energy. I’m not in love with the guys we have in Norfolk or Bowie, they’re all waiver claims too.

3 hours ago, Philip said:

Meh. You still misunderstood me. I don’t care one way or the other, but he offers nothing we don’t already have, and he takes a 25-man spot without options( if he had options remaining I’d be less concerned)

He could OPS near .800 with an extended look. It's doubtful that either of those guys can get anywhere close. As has been said a few tines that you've ignored.....He hasn't been given a real look at the MLB level. He's also better than those guys defensively....

Do you get it now?

Rondon's being put on the 25 man roster makes it look like Stewart's  call up will be delay.....for at least a little while.   The O's probably want to see what they have in Rondon which fills out the 25 man roster with a lot of players that can not be sent down without going through waivers.

Smith could be out of the picture until September.  A 10+ IL and a 20 day rehab could put him close to Sept.

On 7/30/2019 at 3:43 PM, RZNJ said:

Maybe they simply decided he's an upgrade over Richie Martin and are either using Martin as the utility guy or returning him.  I know it's well into the season but a different rule 5 guy was just returned the other day.

If we haven’t DFA’d Mullins then we gotta hang onto to Martin through a substantial amount of AAA games next year. Players at premium positions get a longer leash.