vs. YANKEES, 8/06

OFFNY

o

This was Santander's 1st home run since July 24th.

NUMBER 9

ANTHONY ROGER SANTANDER 

ANTHONY ROGER SANTANDER 

ANTHONY ROGER SANTANDER 

ANTHONY ROGER SANTANDER 

ANTHONY ROGER SANTANDER 

ANTHONY ROGER SANTANDER 

ANTHONY ROGER SANTANDER

o

So, another thing I notice about older games compared with more recent games is that some pitchers take a lot of time to throw vs others who work faster. I notice hitters from older games stepping out of the box and taking 10-15 seconds to get back in more often than in recent games. I really don't notice much of a difference there, but the fastest working pitchers back then worked faster than the fastest today. Not by much, though. The slowest guys back then are also slower than the slowest I've seen in today's game. Stanhouse, for example, was slower than a snail.

Even with more manager arguing, games moved faster back then. Even still, the more pitches thrown and the more offense a game has, the longer the game time will be. Same today. Hitters that broke their bats would also take a lot longer to get a new bat since they didn't have bats prepared. They would have to get a new bat, put pine tar on it and otherwise prepare it which took at least a minute.

Things that may affect time that I can see is the obsession with changing out baseballs every time they touch the ground nowadays vs back then, they'd take a look at it, rub the dirt off the ball and toss it back. The only time balls were switched out is when the pitcher requested it for the most part. Generally, fewer strikeouts and more balls put into play which is probably the biggest difference. At-bats generally went faster and things happened more often.

Starting pitchers also pitched longer and way more innings than today. It's not like humans back then were different than today. The obsession with velocity and the bad arm mechanics employed to get that velocity is what is behind the epidemic of arm injuries now. Pitchers back then threw forever and they're the same humans we have today. Pitchers are babied and there's more reliance on relief pitchers which also slows the game down. As we get further and further away from starting pitchers going deep into games as part of their job description, it will affect game time. It takes, what, five minutes to change pitchers? If each team makes five pitching changes, that's 50 minutes just making pitching changes. Even a more conservative 40 minutes is still high.

51 minutes ago, SteveA said:

If Tarpley doesn't make the incredible grab...we have another run or two.

If Tauchman doesnt Rob Pedro...we have another run.

If Stewart traps it instead of heading it...the Yankees have on fewer run.

Lots of ifs both ways.

?