Why did Davis go after Hyde? He was not happy.

Snutchy

4 hours ago, LocoChris said:

Man some people are just determined to defend Davis. 

I'm not sure if it's in the defense of Davis, or just the kind of people that are so fragile that they see any truthful semi-negative comment as being "hurtful" thus to them, Hyde is a bully and not a good leader. 

Hyde has supported his players through and through, but he's not going to hurt his credibility by going out and blowing smoke up our butts when it comes to things that need to improve, like the talent on this team, particularly on the pitching side.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Which is crazy, unless you think maybe he’ll pull a Tulowitzky and walk away from his contract at some point.    

I don't think Davis has the same character as Tulowitzky or other players who knew they could no longer earn the money they were going to be paid. Davis knows all the money is his no matter whether he's sitting at home or playing poorly on the baseball field. I don't think he cares enough anymore than he's a laughing stock across baseball. He gives whatever effort he feels like that day, and has the same approach whether he's 2-for-5 or 0-for-5 with 5 Ks.

Peter Angelos made his bed with this contract and now his sons have to lie in it. This is why I think this situation is the sons first real test after hiring Elias. Are they willing to eat the money or keep running him out there and take away from evaluation time and a roster spot on a rebuilding team that he's not good for?

This would be a perfect time for them to show support for Elias and his manager and even more importantly, gain support with the majority of the fanbase that just wants Davis gone off this team.

• Upvote 2

I feel like the helmet is the true victim in this embarrassing fiasco and I think we're all grossly ignoring its feeling and its health. Was the helmet placed in the concussion protocol? Did Chris Davis give a heartfelt apology to the helmet? Will Davis and the helmet be attending couples counseling? Those are the questions that I want answered.  

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, NCRaven said:Guess you consider people that didn't go to college at all "deplorables."  This may be your worst take ever.

LOL.  I was talking about sports players who can’t get admitted to four year colleges. Obviously the threshold for elite athletes getting into 4 year colleges is much lower than the general population.  If you consider yourself a deplorable that is nothing to do with me or my statement.  It is never too late to get a college degree.  In MD you can go for free to public colleges once you hit 60.  

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

I'm not sure if it's in the defense of Davis, or just the kind of people that are so fragile that they see any truthful semi-negative comment as being "hurtful" thus to them, Hyde is a bully and not a good leader. 

Hyde has supported his players through and through, but he's not going to hurt his credibility by going out and blowing smoke up our butts when it comes to things that need to improve, like the talent on this team, particularly on the pitching side.

I concur. It's been refreshing to have a straight forward, candid guy at the helm. I liked Buck a lot, but he did a significant amount of that smoke blowing you mentioned. Hyde's been a great change of pace, and he's certainly been a hell of a lot better than our previous rookie managers.

• Upvote 3

Really, the biggest apology Davis owes to Hyde isn't for that incident in the dugout.  First, it's for making it impossible for him to really manage the team - though ownership certainly shares that blame.  Second, it's for being a constant distraction in having to answer questions about why he's playing Davis and having to come up with ways to soften criticism about Davis' terrible play.  Davis is a distraction the entire roster and the entire coaching staff has to deal with.  If Davis is willing to keep taking absurd amounts of money to play for the O's while realizing the problems and distractions his presence causes, he deserves all the negative comments we give him. 

One thing I think all ex O's that had any success as an O enjoy in retirement - are the functions that show appreciation for them.  Davis led the league twice in homers, but if he goes to any of these functions after he retires, he's going to be the one guy who gets boos.  Hopefully he's not even invited  I wouldn't be saying this if I thought Davis was putting all his effort in trying to make himself a better player.  If he had, he'd be altering what he does and hitting to the opposite field - he hasn't.  If he had, he'd be hustling his arse off on defense.  Instead, he's let his once very good defense turn into a major weakness - with an occasional exception when the spirit moves him.  Honestly, the best thing for him and everyone else would be for him to retire right now and never again represent the O's in anything.       

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Well this proves everyone has an opinion. You are certainly entitled to you opinion, no matter how ill informed and wrong it is. 

It's honestly shocking there are people out there who are anti-Hyde already when all he's shown has been class and leadership. 

Hyde has been fantastic, Elias made a great choice.

I mean, your attitude is exactly why you probably like people like Hyde. It's all bravado and machismo. Luckily civilized leaders don't need that nonsense.

I'm the last person to defend Davis here. I just don't see what makes Hyde so special. Now, it's hard to really assess somebody because the talent on this roster is beyond awful.

But I look at guys like Mike Elias and it's night and day how much better he is than Dan Duquette.

I look at guys like Brandon Hyde and compare him to Buck...and I just have to ask people who think Hyde is better or "fantastic": what are you seeing?

To me, I just don't care for the bravado to the media. Here's what Roch reported from Hyde:

"Hyde said he wanted to keep it private and would speak with Davis later. He also expressed remorse that it happened in view of the public, including media, and downplayed the impact it would have on his relationship with Davis and the season."

"We’re going to keep it in-house. It’s private." - Brandon Hyde

"Unfortunately I’m embarrassed that it was caught on camera and people had to see it, but sometimes those things happen." - Brandon Hyde

And that's my rub. It's clear Hyde is either unpolished or can't control his emotions....or worse - both. He's supposed to be a leader of men and he comes across as a hothead. I've listened to enough of his post game pressers and he's more likely to spout off and throw the *totality* of the team under the bus. And that rubs me the wrong way from a leader.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, LookitsPuck said:

And that's my rub. It's clear Hyde is either unpolished or can't control his emotions....or worse - both. He's supposed to be a leader of men and he comes across as a hothead. I've listened to enough of his post game pressers and he's more likely to spout off and throw the *totality* of the team under the bus. And that rubs me the wrong way from a leader.

What about his response makes him seem unpolished or poor at controlling emotions? He acknowledged the incident, tried to turn down the heat a bit and didn't call anyone out. What should he have said instead?

2 minutes ago, JourneyFan said:

What about his response makes him seem unpolished or poor at controlling emotions? He acknowledged the incident, tried to turn down the heat a bit and didn't call anyone out. What should he have said instead?

It's not the response I'm talking about. The fact that it even happened in the first place. He's unpolished. But he should know better. He's been a bench coach for almost a decade. Now, he's only been a manager for *1* full year prior to joining the O's, so maybe his lack of experience in the big seat is rearing its ugly head. But I'm not impressed. He comes across as another ballplayer and not a manager. And that's the issue I have. That's not leadership. It's machismo.

When a player physical attacks his the manager in public he is or should be in a lot of trouble and should get a big fine and a suspension from the organisation. It the Orioles let this sly they basicly saying this manager is gone at the end of the season, do as you please. 

• Upvote 1