Please Retire, Chris Davis

AceKing

48 minutes ago, OFFNY said:

o

If I recall correctly (which I very well may not), Chris Davis was given an exemption to take Adderall for one season.

The following season, MLB DID NOT approve that same drug for that same player (Chris Davis, Adderil.) Davis chose to continue using the drug anyway, which led to his 25-game suspension later that season.

If that is correct, I have no idea why MLB would make an exemption of a specific drug for a player one year, and then change that stipulation the next.

If that is not correct, please disregard this post.

o

Do you know what he's currently taking now? And if he was put back on Adderall if not already on it, will it help him reclaim his once short greatness?

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, OFFNY said:

o

If I recall correctly (which I very well may not), Chris Davis was given an exemption to take Adderall for one season.

The following season, MLB DID NOT approve that same drug for that same player (Chris Davis, Adderil.) Davis chose to continue using the drug anyway, which led to his 25-game suspension later that season.

If that is correct, I have no idea why MLB would make an exemption of a specific drug for a player one year, and then change that stipulation the next.

o

4 minutes ago, $Greatness$ said:

Do you know what he's currently taking now? And if he was put back on Adderall if not already on it, will it help him reclaim his once short greatness?

o

I don't know what he is taking (if anything now.)

I do remember being miffed at the notion of MLB deciding to allow him to take a drug for therapeutic purposes one year, and then changing their minds the next year.

Could this have something to do with his severe decline over the past few years ??? It may, but I suppose that we'll never know.

o

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, OFFNY said:

o

o

According to the article I linked he was denied the exemption in 2013...........when he hit 53 HR and led the league.

It says he did not even reapply for the exemption in 2014 when he got suspended.   

Before the 2015 season he got the exemption for a different drug (Vyvanse) so presumably he has been taking that ever since.

He had a 47 HR season and a 38 HR season in back to back years in 15-16, so he has certainly shown he can hit with the new medication.

• Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Aglets said:

According to the article I linked he was denied the exemption in 2013...........when he hit 53 HR and led the league.

It says he did not even reapply for the exemption in 2014 when he got suspended.   

Before the 2015 season he got the exemption for a different drug (Vyvanse) so presumably he has been taking that ever since.

He had a 47 HR season and a 38 HR season in back to back years in 15-16, so he has certainly shown he can hit with the new medication.

o

OK, thanks for that info.

If that is the case, then I am much more annoyed at Davis for not reapplying than I am at MLB if I was indeed erroneous in assuming that he did apply and was denied.

o

1 hour ago, OFFNY said:

o

o

My understanding was that Davis did not put in his paperwork for the 2014 season and that’s why he didn’t get the exemption for that year.    But also, due to abuse, MLB may have been getting stricter about the criteria for adderall exemptions.    In 2015 he was given an exemption for Vyvanse, which is another ADHD treatment but doesn’t have some of the same performance enhancing benefits as adderall.    Certainly the Vyvanse was good enough for Davis in 2015, when he had a great season that led to his monster contract.   

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

My understanding was that Davis did not put in his paperwork for the 2014 season and thats why he didnt get the exemption for that year. But also, due to abuse, MLB may have been getting stricter about the criteria for adderall exemptions. In 2015 he was given an exemption for Vyvanse, which is another ADHD treatment but doesnt have some of the same performance enhancing benefits as adderall. Certainly the Vyvanse was good enough for Davis in 2015, when he had a great season that led to his monster contract.  

o

Great info.

Thanks, Frank.

Even people with freakish memories like myself will sometimes by amiss in their recollections ........ I suspect that even Jim Palmer may have a detail or 2 remembered incorrectly in one of his stories from the 1972 AL East Pennant race, or a 1977 regular season game against the Texas Rangers.

o

• Haha 1

He's in the lineup tonight, hitting 8th.  The last game he played was on the 18th.

Maybe this is really the beginning of the end.  September call ups just around the corner, settling into the final stretch of the season and a bit of a malaise, football is starting up and distracting people.  It's kind of the perfect storm to slowly limit his playing time and relegate him to the bench for the end of the season without any grand announcements.  No mentions from Hyde about how they're going to try other options at 1st base, nothing from Elias but just...slowly and surely take him out of the lineup more and more.  

I wouldn't be surprised if he plays these next couple of games, has Sunday off...doesn't play again until next Thursday/Friday....rinse and repeat until the end of the season.

2 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

He's in the lineup tonight, hitting 8th.  The last game he played was on the 18th.

Maybe this is really the beginning of the end.  September call ups just around the corner, settling into the final stretch of the season and a bit of a malaise, football is starting up and distracting people.  It's kind of the perfect storm to slowly limit his playing time and relegate him to the bench for the end of the season without any grand announcements.  No mentions from Hyde about how they're going to try other options at 1st base, nothing from Elias but just...slowly and surely take him out of the lineup more and more.  

I wouldn't be surprised if he plays these next couple of games, has Sunday off...doesn't play again until next Thursday/Friday....rinse and repeat until the end of the season.

I would do this and then release him a few weeks after the World Series when few people are paying any attention to baseball. If I were the Angelos brothers and Elias, I would not want Chris Davis hanging over the team during spring training. I hope that’s what they do. 

Just now, Ohfan67 said:

I would do this and then release him a few weeks after the World Series when few people are paying any attention to baseball. If I were the Angelos brothers and Elias, I would not want Chris Davis hanging over the team during spring training. I hope that’s what they do. 

I agree.  It'll be news when they release him no matter what.  Arguably the biggest FA bust in baseball history getting released...that makes headlines no matter what time of year.  But around that time NFL and NCAA football is in full swing and the NBA is around the corner so it probably is the best time to do it.  

I will have a stroke if he's in ST next year.  

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I agree.  It'll be news when they release him no matter what.  Arguably the biggest FA bust in baseball history getting released...that makes headlines no matter what time of year.  But around that time NFL and NCAA football is in full swing and the NBA is around the corner so it probably is the best time to do it.  

Spring training would be bad, opening day roster much worse.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Who cares if it’s in the news or not?

Prepare to have a stroke.   Having kept him on the roster all year, there’s little downside to giving him one more offseason to try to come up with some way to improve.    They can always cut him next March.    Meanwhile he’s costing them a 40-man roster spot, but that’s not too big a deal.   

6 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Spring training would be bad, opening day roster much worse.

Well if he's in ST, OD roster is a given.

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Who cares if it’s in the news or not?

Prepare to have a stroke.   Having kept him on the roster all year, there’s little downside to giving him one more offseason to try to come up with some way to improve.    They can always cut him next March.    Meanwhile he’s costing them a 40-man roster spot, but that’s not too big a deal.   

I don't care if it's in the news or not.  But they might.  Davis probably does.

And yes, fully prepared for the stroke.  Are you going to come visit me in the hospital?

Just now, Moose Milligan said:

Well if he's in ST, OD roster is a given.

I don't care if it's in the news or not.  But they might.  Davis probably does.

And yes, fully prepared for the stroke.  Are you going to come visit me in the hospital?

I will be happy to.    And if you need a good occupational therapist, my son works with post-stroke patients.    

• Upvote 1