8 Ynoa

On the bubble: Bleier, Eades, Phillips, Shepherd

Catchers

9. Wynn

Outfielders

On the bubble: Smith, Williams

DH

10.  Trumbo

Others may be traded or pushed off the roster over the winter but these I think are gone before Dec 1st.

I reserve the right to chance my mind right after the season.

Who do you think the O's let go?

Trumbo, Wilkerson, Williams, Rogers, Tayler Scott, Brooks, Eades, Ortiz, Hess, Shepherd, and Blach will not be on the 40 man next spring I'm guessing. Lot of spots for waiver claims, borderline protectables, etc.

Ynoa, Smith Jr., and Davis aren't ML-caliber players but could stick around till spring at least.

I think Wojo and Armstrong might have earned spots for the time being.

32 minutes ago, luismatos4prez said:

Trumbo, Wilkerson, Williams, Rogers, Tayler Scott, Brooks, Eades, Ortiz, Hess, Shepherd, and Blach will not be on the 40 man next spring I'm guessing. Lot of spots for waiver claims, borderline protectables, etc.

Ynoa, Smith Jr., and Davis aren't ML-caliber players but could stick around till spring at least.

I think Wojo and Armstrong might have earned spots for the time being.

Wilkerson has a 772 OPS vs righties.  I think he stays.  Could be as a utility player for the O's or he could be optioned. He has two options left.

Ortiz is only 23.  Will be 24 on Sept 22nd.    Hard to give up on a pitcher that young with that arm on a rebuilding team. He has two options left.

Hess is 26 and has proven himself at AAA with a 3.83 ERA, 87 IP,  79 H, 91 SO,  1.284 WHIP.  He has had a hard time making the jump to the majors but 33 of his 42 games in the majors have been as a starter.  He is not a starter in the majors.  At least not now.   I think the O's have to commit to making Hess a reliever.  He has one option left.

I should have put Williams and Shepherd on the bubble.  I want  to see what they do the rest of Sept.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, TommyPickles said:

I know its only been two appearances in the bigs, but I like Chandler Shepherd so far.  Seems to have a confident presence out there.

3 ER in 7 IP (Yankees and Rangers), with 5 Ks and 3 BB.  Plus these numbers would have been even better were he not the victim of some crappy defense by Dwight Smith Jr. 

I like the way he stepped up in August for the Tides.   Pitcher of the month for the International League.   I am still on the fence about how close he is in being a major league asset.  I do hope he keeps getting chances.

1 minute ago, wildcard said:

I like the way he stepped up in August for the Tides.   Pitcher of the month for the International League.   I am still on the fence about how close he is in being a major league asset.  I do hope he keeps getting chances.

He earned it.   

3 hours ago, wildcard said:

Wilkerson has a 772 OPS vs righties.  I think he stays.  Could be as a utility player for the O's or he could be optioned. He has two options left.

I didn't realize he had that split, but he's still a below average hitter against righties (92 wRC+ career, 97 this year) and he doesn't really provide any defensive value or baserunning value.

I'm fine with him playing wherever in Norfolk next year like Jace Peterson, but no need for him to be on the 40 man. I'd be stunned if he was claimed. 

52 minutes ago, luismatos4prez said:

I didn't realize he had that split, but he's still a below average hitter against righties (92 wRC+ career, 97 this year) and he doesn't really provide any defensive value or baserunning value.

I'm fine with him playing wherever in Norfolk next year like Jace Peterson, but no need for him to be on the 40 man. I'd be stunned if he was claimed. 

I think he will get a chance at either the utility role, or second base going into next season.

Villar and Givens possibly traded, Trumbo retires, maybe they cut their losses on Davis. 3 open spots their. Ortiz might be DFA'ed, as he has been a BIG (word play) disappointment.

5 hours ago, wildcard said:

My guess......

Pitchers

1.Armstrong

2.Blach

3. Brooks

4.  Fry

5. Rogers

6.Taylor Scott

7. Wojciechowski

8 Ynoa

On the bubble: Bleier, Eades, Phillips, Shepherd

Catchers

9. Wynn

Outfielders

On the bubble: Smith, Williams

DH

10.  Trumbo

Others may be traded or pushed off the roster over the winter but these I think are gone before Dec 1st.

I reserve the right to chance my mind right after the season.

Who do you think the O's let go?

My feeling is: 1) is there hope for a player or has he established himself as unlikely to be a productive player?

2) if he’s unlikely to produce, is he blocking anyone who has even a slightly higher chance of producing?

with that in mind, the following guys go away:

Hess, Phillips, Ortiz, Brooks

I like the enthusiasm by the OP. We’re the 2nd worst team in MLB, how good could the 40 man be?  Haha. 

Weighing all factors... I would trade players that we know won’t be here when we’re “good” again. We’re in such a huge need of talent influx throughout the system that I would target high ceiling guys in the DSL players, players that just came over from the DSL, and teams with 40 man crunches.

The league knows what they are, take fair value and trade them,

Givens, Villar, Bundy, Severino, Castro, Smith Jr, Fry

I wouldn’t waste roster spots on 40 man filler in the upper minors. What we should do is target other teams that have “real” 40 man roster crunches. 

Bottomline is that I don’t see an upwards matriculation of W’s with the current pitching staff. That hope is in the minors. That’s why DSL guys with high ceilings are the perfect fit. We just have to accept the facts that this was/is a 5 year rebuild and stack up for 2022+(more likely 2023+).  

Edited by sportsfan8703
  • Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I like the enthusiasm by the OP. We’re the 2nd worst team in MLB, how good could the 40 man be?  Haha. 

Weighing all factors... I would trade players that we know won’t be here when we’re “good” again. We’re in such a huge need of talent influx throughout the system that I would target high ceiling guys in the DSL players, players that just came over from the DSL, and teams with 40 man crunches.

The league knows what they are, take fair value and trade them,

Givens, Villar, Bundy, Severino, Castro, Smith Jr, Fry

I wouldn’t waste roster spots on 40 man filler in the upper minors. What we should do is target other teams that have “real” 40 man roster crunches. 

Bottomline is that I don’t see an upwards matriculation of W’s with the current pitching staff. That hope is in the minors. That’s why DSL guys with high ceilings are the perfect fit. We just have to accept the facts that this was/is a 5 year rebuild and stack up for 2022+(more likely 2023+).  

First thing that has to happen is set the major league roster for the Rule 5 draft.  The O's  are probably not going to be able trades before the Rule 5 draft.   I am not sure at this point that Fry and Smith even keep their 40 roster spots for the Rule 5 draft.

Most of the suggested guys coming off the 40 make sense to me, except I'd be surprised if Ortiz is DFA.

He's 23 years old, he has not been converted to relief yet, and he has legit stuff. Don't weigh too heavily 70 bad innings vs 350+ solid innings as a young for his level pitcher. He lost a bunch of weight, which was necessary, but can often have unintended consequences for a pitcher's mechanics/stuff. Let's see what he looks like next year. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Luke-OH said:

Most of the suggested guys coming off the 40 make sense to me, except I'd be surprised if Ortiz is DFA.

He's 23 years old, he has not been converted to relief yet, and he has legit stuff. Don't weigh too heavily 70 bad innings vs 350+ solid innings as a young for his level pitcher. He lost a bunch of weight, which was necessary, but can often have unintended consequences for a pitcher's mechanics/stuff. Let's see what he looks like next year. 

I agree.  He is not on my list of guys to go.