Brady Anderson leaving organization

eddie83

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Sure, once they:

1. Cut Davis
  2. Spend their full allotment on International players

At that point I'll believe he actually has full control.

I don’t know that any GM truly has “full control”. 

Davis could also be Elias way of tanking. I kid a little, have to see how long leash is next year. 

How short are they this year?

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

I don’t know that any GM truly has “full control”. 

Davis could also be Elias way of tanking. I kid a little, have to see how long leash is next year. 

How short are they this year?

Hard to tell. 

This is old but I haven't seen any updates.

https://www.mlb.com/orioles/news/international-prospect-signings-july-2-2019

Luis Gonzalez, OF, Dominican Republic -- $475,000
Luis Ortiz, LHP, Dominican Republic -- $400,000
Leonel Sanchez, INF, Dominican Republic -- $400,000

While it is encouraging that they spent 400K+ on three players the total pool is $6,481,200.  I guess they still have at least half of that left when you add in the less highly regarded players.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

Hard to tell. 

This is old but I haven't seen any updates.

https://www.mlb.com/orioles/news/international-prospect-signings-july-2-2019

While it is encouraging that they spent 400K+ on three players the total pool is $6,481,200.  I guess they still have at least half of that left when you add in the less highly regarded players.

Hopefully next year some higher impact players will be possible. May have to wait until 2021.  

1 hour ago, Philip said:

The first major article I ever read at orioles hang out was “orioles Game of Thrones“ and one of the takeaways from that article was the sense that Brady gave himself credit for many things that he shouldn’t, and he was one of those people who knew everything and couldn’t be taught. I am glad he is sailing into the sunset.

It ended up that Duquette, Buck and Brady all lost in the end. Who knew Elias was Bran all along? ;)

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Tony-OH said:

This remains your goofiest take ever on the Hangout. It has been explained multiple times that it takes at least two years to get into that market because the best players have had deals for one or two years before the signing period. What do want Elias to do, just spend money to spend money?

He has full control (outside of releasing Davis) and has the ability to spend the allotment when he can get in on the top level talent. The Latin American scouting and signing process is the moist corrupt and ridiculous thing that any major league sport allows. It's not just something you turn on in the first year, even with a respected lead in Koby Perez.

And yet the Rays swooped in and grabbed that player that was linked to the Yankees when the Yankees had trouble trading for more slots.

If every other team can find ways to spend the money it makes no sense that the O's can't.  The Orioles traded away a ton of slots last year after the July 2nd kids were gone.  Obviously other teams felt there was value to be had beyond the high profile kids with pre-existing deals.

Are you fine with the O's only spending say 3M this year?  Is that enough progress for you?

10 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

And yet the Rays swooped in and grabbed that player that was linked to the Yankees when the Yankees had trouble trading for more slots.

If every other team can find ways to spend the money it makes no sense that the O's can't.  The Orioles traded away a ton of slots last year after the July 2nd kids were gone.  Obviously other teams felt there was value to be had beyond the high profile kids with pre-existing deals.

Are you fine with the O's only spending say 3M this year?  Is that enough progress for you?

There is no way to determine by the amount they spend right now because I don't know the talent available or if the Orioles were on them. I will say this, if the Orioles aren't in or signing some major guys by the 2021 signing period then I'll start to have concerns. I expect next year they will have a couple of bigger signings. By 2021 they should have been there long enough to be in on some top guys.

I appreciate the loyalty and passion that Brady has had for the Orioles organization.    I think it’s best that he’s moving on, but didn’t think he really was in a position to interfere with Elias anyway.    His departure is more symbolic than anything substantive IMO.

He was a great player for this organization and I do think he improved our conditioning programs considerably over the last decade.    I wish him well in whatever he decides to do next.   

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

There is no way to determine by the amount they spend right now because I don't know the talent available or if the Orioles were on them. I will say this, if the Orioles aren't in or signing some major guys by the 2021 signing period then I'll start to have concerns. I expect next year they will have a couple of bigger signings. By 2021 they should have been there long enough to be in on some top guys.

I don't think it is at all "goofy" for me to be skeptical that the sons will allow Elias to spend 6M+ on International players given what we know about the team's past behavior.  I think the O's are very much in a money saving mode and that might extend to limiting Elias' budget in some areas beyond ML payroll.

I certainly don't think it should take three years to get where every other team is at.