Brady Anderson leaving organization

eddie83

49 minutes ago, Obando said:

Got it, thanks.  Do you have any interest in applying for a scouting position with the O’s?  I would think that has to be somewhat appealing to you, especially since you are well-versed in modern scouting that combines qualitative with quantitative analysis, which fits the type of scout that Elias is looking to hire.

The scouting analyst position recently posted fits my skills and abilities more than a traditional scouting position but no, I'm not interested. I have 3 small children and a good job that pays significantly more than I'd make in baseball for at least a few years. The time demands, lack of job security, and pay cut make it undesirable even though it'd be more intellectually engaging than my current career. 

1 hour ago, Luke-OH said:

The scouting analyst position recently posted fits my skills and abilities more than a traditional scouting position but no, I'm not interested. I have 3 small children and a good job that pays significantly more than I'd make in baseball for at least a few years. The time demands, lack of job security, and pay cut make it undesirable even though it'd be more intellectually engaging than my current career. 

I totally understand where you are coming from.  It’s a shame baseball doesn’t pay better as an industry unless you are a GM or manager, because it would attract a much bigger and better pool of candidates.  You have to really love baseball and be willing to make major sacrifices to justify taking a low paying job with crazy working hours.  That’s why it’s best to get in when you are just out of college, have minimal expenses, and don’t have a family to provide for.

On the bright side, not working for the Orioles/in baseball allows you to provide us with the great content and insight that you do here at OH and on Twitter, so I guess it’s selfishly for the best!

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Obando said:

I totally understand where you are coming from.  It’s a shame baseball doesn’t pay better as an industry unless you are a GM or manager, because it would attract a much bigger and better pool of candidates.  You have to really love baseball and be willing to make major sacrifices to justify taking a low paying job with crazy working hours.  That’s why it’s best to get in when you are just out of college, have minimal expenses, and don’t have a family to provide for.

On the bright side, not working for the Orioles/in baseball allows you to provide us with the great content and insight that you do here at OH and on Twitter, so I guess it’s selfishly for the best!

It doesn't pay much because it doesn't have to.  Plenty of people are willing to do it for not a lot of money...and if you're willing to work long hours for not a lot of money in the hopes of one day becoming an Elias type, they know you're serious about it and want to be there for more than just a paycheck.  In other words the fact that the pay sucks and the hours are odd and long already does a good job of weeding out dumb kids who are looking for "work life balance" right out of college.  

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

It doesn't pay much because it doesn't have to.  Plenty of people are willing to do it for not a lot of money...and if you're willing to work long hours for not a lot of money in the hopes of one day becoming an Elias type, they know you're serious about it and want to be there for more than just a paycheck.  In other words the fact that the pay sucks and the hours are odd and long already does a good job of weeding out dumb kids who are looking for "work life balance" right out of college.  

Yep, they have Ivy leaguers beating down the door for internships.

3 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Wouldn't be surprised.  And those Ivy leaguers know that if it doesn't work out for them, they'll latch on somewhere else pretty easily.

Someone posted on here a while ago, probably Luke, that there were just a couple of jobs out for applications and they got hundreds of applications. I forget exactly how many but enough that they were swamped.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Wouldn't be surprised.  And those Ivy leaguers know that if it doesn't work out for them, they'll latch on somewhere else pretty easily.

If you and your family can afford a college that costs $60k or $80k a year you probably won't starve working for free for the Cubs for a few years.

I’m not going to join in the “about time” and “finally” choruses. I was a bit too young to remember  Brady’s prime years with us, so I can’t quite say I can look back fondly on his playing career, but I’m certainly appreciative of his devotion to this team. Whether he overstepped whatever boundaries were laid out for him at times, well, who knows; what’s done is done and both sides are now moving on.

I will say this much: even if he did encroach, I won’t accuse him of being shady or duplicitous in any way. I’d like to think that he felt he could be an asset on many levels, so he tried to be that – he clearly loves the organization that much.

Hopefully it was indeed an amicable departure and he’ll remain on good terms with the franchise.

• Upvote 1