Anyone got nine more years? ...

weams

33 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Put it this way: it may have taken 10 years to win a postseason series, but their regular season success has been very good in the last 8 years and I won’t necessarily consider 2019 to be more successful than 2012, 2014, 2016 and 2017 (when they won division titles) just because they won one postseason series.    Now if they win the next one and go to the WS, I’ll say I consider that a more successful season than their previous division-winning seasons.    

They will have had a more successful postseason.  Not a more successful season.

I'll take the Nats last 5 years of "failure" as the O's next 5 years.  To me, a large part of the excitement of baseball is being in a pennant race or wild card race where every game matters.  If Elias can lead the O's to the postseason 80% of the time, even if the O's aren't winning in the postseason, I would have a hard time calling that a failure, especially when the O's are probably having to knock out the Yankees or Red Sox to get to the postseason.

44 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

They will have had a more successful postseason.  Not a more successful season.

I’m more thinking of it from my perspective as a fan.   I weigh the regular season season pretty heavily and in most cases I’d rather win a division title than win a wildcard spot + one divisional series.   But I’d rather win a wildcard spot and then get to the World Series than win a divisional title.     

1 minute ago, Natty said:

Houston, after having 3 years playing .346, .340, and .315 ball in 2011-2013, turned it around in only 3 years to win 101 games the 4th year, 2017. Can we do that? Should Elias study what they did

I'm pretty sure Elias knows precisely what they did.

43 minutes ago, Natty said:

Houston, after having 3 years playing .346, .340, and .315 ball in 2011-2013, turned it around in only 3 years to win 101 games the 4th year, 2017. Can we do that? Should Elias study what they did? 

Lower-revenue teams in the AL East, NL West or NL Central face a level of challenge in using an Astro-style extreme rebuild to move from a lousy team to winning a division title (let alone several titles consecutively) that is different from, and more imposing, the one that the Astros faced in the AL West.

If one of those lower-revenue teams follows the recipe used by the Astros, and makes some good decisions and has decent luck along the way, it should be able within four or five years to build a successful team that will compete to win the division or a wild-card spot, though probably only for a few years.

But it's a different proposition whether that will be enough to finish ahead of the higher-revenue teams -- the NYYs/Red Sox,  Cubs/Cardinals or Dodgers/Giants -- if those teams are spending more, spending it wisely, and also having pretty good (or better) luck is another question (as well as other division rivals, some of which may have been pursuing a similar rebuilding process, with comparable or greater resources). I think it's entirely possible the Orioles will competently follow the Astros' lead and have a successful rebuild without ever getting to the post-season (or doing so only once or twice as a wildcard).

10 minutes ago, spiritof66 said:

Lower-revenue teams in the AL East, NL West or NL Central face a level of challenge in using an Astro-style extreme rebuild to move from a lousy team to winning a division title (let alone several titles consecutively) that is different from, and more imposing, the one that the Astros faced in the AL West.

If one of those lower-revenue teams follows the recipe used by the Astros, and makes some good decisions and has decent luck along the way, it should be able within four or five years to build a successful team that will compete to win the division or a wild-card spot, though probably only for a few years.

But it's a different proposition whether that will be enough to finish ahead of the higher-revenue teams -- the NYYs/Red Sox,  Cubs/Cardinals or Dodgers/Giants -- if those teams are spending more, spending it wisely, and also having pretty good (or better) luck is another question (as well as other division rivals, some of which may have been pursuing a similar rebuilding process, with comparable or greater resources). I think it's entirely possible the Orioles will competently follow the Astros' lead and have a successful rebuild without ever getting to the post-season (or doing so only once or twice as a wildcard).

Speaking of spending money wisely...We still owe Davis $93M and we still owe Cobb $49M. That $142M puts quite the damper on spending any more money. 

24 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Andy would not hire Buck.   Buck was one of the big reasons the Andy left the O's.  

Yes, there were other reason also but Buck was probably in the top three.

Seems like this may not even be Andy’s call...as owner John Middleton apparently made the call to fire Kapler, over the objection of former O employee and now GM Matt Klentak  and apparently Andy is nowhere to be heard from according to the Philly media.  If this becomes an owner reaching out to do the hire, then that would be certainly right up Buck’s wheelhouse.

Sounds like a bit of a mess in Philly right now though. 

https://www.thegoodphight.com/2019/10/8/20904348/who-do-you-trust-to-run-the-phillies

4 hours ago, Frobby said:

That team lost because their bullpen imploded.    Meanwhile, Strasburg is still healthy 7 years later post-TJ, so I’m not going to say their decision was wrong.    They shut him down well before the post-season.    

Exactly.  Maybe the orioles can get Matt Harvey and Kris Medlen as they are tough guys and Strasburg is a porcelain doll.