Rule 5: Michael Rucker - RHP - Cubs

sportsfan8703

35 minutes ago, Dale said:

The inefficiency of the pitching market gives hope that the Orioles have discovered a viable middle relief option for 2020

Don't mean to throw it in the face of a new guy, but we acquired Rucker because of the Rule V draft and not any inefficiency in the market.  We had space in the Rule V draft because of a lack of high quality depth in our minor leagues that would have been subject to the Rule V draft.  

7 hours ago, hoosiers said:

Don't mean to throw it in the face of a new guy, but we acquired Rucker because of the Rule V draft and not any inefficiency in the market.  We had space in the Rule V draft because of a lack of high quality depth in our minor leagues that would have been subject to the Rule V draft.  

But then we had the #1 pick in the Milb portion taken from our system?  So does that mean we have the best depth AA-A ball?  

7 hours ago, hoosiers said:

It also helped that everyone passed on him.

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

If they coveted him they could have made room.

Just criticizing for the sake of it at this point. The scouts/data found something they like in the player, he's a long shot to stick, the O's have room on the roster, who cares? He's Drew Jackson. Why are you so concerned that other teams passed? It tells us nothing about the viability of Elias & Co's methods, or the skill of their scouting, or anything really. You're trying to sink your teeth into some kind of criticism here but you've got nothing but an air sandwich. 

10 minutes ago, interloper said:

Just criticizing for the sake of it at this point. The scouts/data found something they like in the player, he's a long shot to stick, the O's have room on the roster, who cares? He's Drew Jackson. Why are you so concerned that other teams passed? It tells us nothing about the viability of Elias & Co's methods, or the skill of their scouting, or anything really. You're trying to sink your teeth into some kind of criticism here but you've got nothing but an air sandwich. 

Wtf?  Go back and check what I was responding to.

Milb.com isn’t high on Rucker’s chances of sticking:

11. Michael Rucker, RHP, Orioles (from Cubs): This won't be the rotation help the O's are looking for. Rucker was previously a starter in the Cubs system, but moved to the bullpen full-time in 2019. He spent almost the entire season at Double-A Tennessee, posting a 4.28 ERA with 89 strikeouts in 75 2/3 innings there. Rucker, who throws in the low-90s with a deceptive delivery, often pitched two or three innings, so he does bring potential as a long man for Baltimore. But without blowaway stuff or killer results, it might be asking too much of the O's to carry him along with Bailey, even in their current state. Stickiness level: Two [out of five]

https://www.milb.com/milb/news/toolshed-judging-rule-5-draft-stickiness/c-312187564

14 minutes ago, Frobby said:

11. Michael Rucker, RHP, Orioles (from Cubs): This won't be the rotation help the O's are looking for. Rucker was previously a starter in the Cubs system, but moved to the bullpen full-time in 2019. He spent almost the entire season at Double-A Tennessee, posting a 4.28 ERA with 89 strikeouts in 75 2/3 innings there. Rucker, who throws in the low-90s with a deceptive delivery, often pitched two or three innings, so he does bring potential as a long man for Baltimore. But without blowaway stuff or killer results, it might be asking too much of the O's to carry him along with Bailey, even in their current state. Stickiness level: Two [out of five]

https://www.milb.com/milb/news/toolshed-judging-rule-5-draft-stickiness/c-312187564

Compared to the other Rule 5 picks, I like our side of the deal.

I'm not sure grading him on "the low 90's" is accurate for our guy.

I'd like to see the O's tandem Rucker and Bailey for 9 outs each and see if they can handle one game out of 5. Maybe that's way too optimistic on my part.

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

He was 2.68 ERA post-all star break, coinciding with an uptick in velocity.

I missed him in my process, didn’t ever look into him. But after seeing him, I definitely prefer him to Rony Garcia or Yohan Ramirez. 

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

He was 2.68 ERA post-all star break, coinciding with an uptick in velocity.

I missed him in my process, didn’t ever look into him. But after seeing him, I definitely prefer him to Rony Garcia or Yohan Ramirez. 

I like that statement. It’s probably 50/50 that we trade Givens. Fry might be useless if they pass implement the new rule. Right now the only pitchers that we can pencil in are,

Means, Cobb, Wojo

Givens, Harvey, Bleier, Castro, Armstrong

That’s 5 spots up for grabs and I think we’re going to lean towards pitchers that can go multiple innings. I mean, we’re going to have to with that rotation. 

I think we bring in 2-3 vet SP on milb/mlb min deals. We shouldn’t do anything to mess up the prospects development in AAA until they are ready. That includes Akin.