Hess is copying the Means plan

Frobby

1 hour ago, scOtt said:

Dug out from some of those links, P3 is (just this summer) using this Markerless Motion Capture system developed by Simi in Munich.

Pretty cool stuff. The technology advances in a short time are pretty remarkable. 

On 12/24/2019 at 1:15 PM, wildcard said:

I am not going to count on Hess making the jump that Means did last year.  It would be nice if it happens but it does happen that often.   I still think Hess may contribute as a reliever.  He has options.  And he is young enough to still get another shot.       

However his best chance will be in the first half.   There are a lot of guys that will begin the season in AAA that will be push there way to the majors next season.   So I hope Hess gets off to a good start next spring.                                                                                                                                                                   

If Hess is above replacement level I will be shocked.  I am glad he is working in the off season and working on improving himself instead of going Mike Wright mode and having bad results and not making an effort to change things. 

21 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Lost in all of this, is the biggest reason for Means' success and that was his change up.  

Means’ makeup is the biggest reason for his success. He was humble/self aware enough to realize he needed to do whatever it took to make it. 

I don’t know much about Hess other than when I watch him pitch. Is he ready to accept that he’s likely a reliever, and therefore maybe pare down is repertoire?   

On 12/24/2019 at 1:15 PM, wildcard said:

I am not going to count on Hess making the jump that Means did last year.  It would be nice if it happens but it does happen that often.   I still think Hess may contribute as a reliever.  He has options.  And he is young enough to still get another shot.                                                     

Yeah, the odds have to be very low.

The reason I'm mildly optimistic about stuff like this generally is I think it's new to a lot of the Orioles who have likely not had the focused training to unlock their talent. So there might be a forward jump that several guys "have in them" but have not been able to unlock. Maybe this will help.

9 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Means’ makeup is the biggest reason for his success. He was humble/self aware enough to realize he needed to do whatever it took to make it.

Part of his success is also a little bit of blind luck. Means was born close to Kansas City. Still lives there today. P3 is in St. Louis. Could be a bit of lucky proximity.

1 hour ago, scOtt said:

Part of his success is also a little bit of blind luck. Means was born close to Kansas City. Still lives there today. P3 is in St. Louis. Could be a bit of lucky proximity.

KC and St. Louis are 250 miles apart.    Not exactly next door.   

I really liked what I heard and saw from Means last year.    Even after he had early season success with his better velocity and new-found change-up, he acknowledged that in the long term he was going to need to improve his breaking ball or the hitters would catch up to him eventually.     He did improve that pitch a reasonable amount in-season, and he made it clear he was going to be continuing to hone that in the offseason.    This is not a guy who rests on his laurels.    

• Upvote 2

On 12/24/2019 at 3:42 PM, Frobby said:

I’m glad Hess is trying it.   He’s not completely without talent.    I’ve always felt mediocre command was his big problem.  

This is what has put it in my mind that he should try to throw the sinker. If you can throw a good one command isn't near as important as a guy who throws straight fastballs.

From the article:

-------------------------------------------

How does this compare to your past workouts?

“Previous offseasons I’ve really just gone in the weight room, and that’s something that I’ve always felt good about, my preparation in terms of that. But this is really the first offseason where I’ve had baseball-specific work outside of just playing catch. Really trying to work on delivery-based stuff. Working on, not necessarily arm strength - I’ve always worked on that - but really cleaning up my arm path. So it’s similar in a lot of ways, but it’s also different. I guess the best way to say it is it’s very hyper focused.”

---------------------------------------------

This is what boggles my mind about baseball in general. With it being such a skill sport, baseball specific training should be emphasized not an afterthought. I'm in agreement  with others in this thread that this is something the O's should prioritize.

I’m not sure I completely understood the video, but what I think it is emphasizing is efficient movement, and teaching the body to avoid fighting itself.This is my goal as a teacher of music, And it should be the goal of anybody in any activity. Every bit of energy that we use against ourselves is a unit of energy that is unavailable for performing the task.

I don’t know how easy it is for a picture at a high-level to change his delivery, but if I were a coach my first goal would be to remove the inefficiencies in a given delivery.

one thing I noticed about Jake Arietta Is that he never seemed to be working hard, never even seem to be working up a sweat. That’s something that everybody should strive to achieve.