MLB (Orioles) suspended indefinitely

atomic

The reason basketball has been shut down is twofold. First of all the infected person is actually a player, so there’s no way to protect the other teams from infection. Secondly, basketball is an intense contact sport. If you’re not banging into the guy from the other team you’re doing something wrong. 

Baseball is much less of a contact sport: you can play a whole game without touching anybody, and outside in the open air, there’s much less danger of anything being inhaled. That is probably also true even of the domed stadiums.

If they canceled, nobody would get paid except the superstars who don’t need to be paid anyway, because they’ve got lots of dough in the bank. I think it is much more likely that they will play to empty stadiums for the moment. That way they still get their television revenue at least. 

I hope some provision will be made for the concession workers.

Edited by Philip

27 minutes ago, atomic said:

I can see through the Disney App that lines at Disney World are at max capacity. Someone needs to shut down Disney ASAP.  People from all over the country and the world stuck together in long lines.  Then bringing back the virus to every place. 

My coworker is there right now. I think she's absolutely insane. 

Disney people. 

Just now, interloper said:

My coworker is there right now. I think she's absolutely insane. 

Disney people. 

I was there at the end of January.  There were already a lot of Chinese people with masks on.   I was a little bit worried back then.  At this point you have to be a total lunatic to stand in line with thousands of other people.  

I was supposed to spend all next week relaxing on the beach in Barbados. I had to cancel.   Now I will be stuck at home worrying about whether I am going to get a disease.  

Just now, interloper said:

Well, it was a good thing the O's decided to slash payroll because they ain't gonna make much money this year.

Do the Orioles get the second overall pick next year if there is no baseball this year?

14 minutes ago, Philip said:

The reason basketball has been shut down is twofold. First of all the infected person is actually a player, so there’s no way to protect the other teams from infection. Secondly, basketball is an intense contact sport. If you’re not banging into the guy from the other team you’re doing something wrong. 

Baseball is much less of a contact sport: you can play a whole game without touching anybody, and outside in the open air, there’s much less danger of anything being inhaled. That is probably also true even of the domed stadiums.

If they canceled, nobody would get paid except the superstars who don’t need to be paid anyway, because they’ve got lots of dough in the bank. I think it is much more likely that they will play to empty stadiums for the moment. That way they still get their television revenue at least. 

There are 2 NBA players affected.

I believe provisions have already been mentioned to help workers out affected by cancelations of public events.

13 minutes ago, Philip said:

Dugouts and locker rooms. Plus players together on charter flights.  You see how the flu goes through the clubhouses at times.   I don't think it is worth the risk.  Nobody knows the long term effect of the disease is.