The best pitching performance ever for the Orioles

Moose Milligan

25 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

Personally and aesthetically,  I will take the no hitters or a World Series or playoff win as alltime great  i.e Cuellar, Bunker, Palmer, McNally, Boddicker, McGregor as opposed to a 2 hitter in a meaningless game in Texas...but, each to their own.  And  I don’t know if it was tongue in cheek...Jim is pretty proud of his achievements, usually. 

Also worth noting in that ninth inning is that Reggie Jackson, who had already hit 42 home runs, was walked for the third time by Palmer...pitching around him the whole game. 

He also walked Dick Green and Tommy Reynolds with two outs...maybe not intentionally but making them swing ONLY at his pitch and  also knowing that Larry Haney, ex Oriole backup and weak hitter, was waiting beyond them for the third out.   Palmer was perhaps the best Oriole pitcher I have ever seen at having a plan for every hitter, every situation and knowing what his strengths were in that matchup. 

Oh, and Jim also had two hits and a walk, including a double and drove in a run and scored a run.  And threw 142 pitches...let’s see the modern guys do that regularly.

But I did truly enjoy Bedard and Mussina too...

I think postseason games are a whole different animal, so it’s almost pointless to compare them with “a meaningless game in Texas.”   I’ll just note that the Palmer no-hitter came in a mid-August game when the O’s already had a 14.5 game lead, so it’s about as meaningless as the Bedard game.    If you prefer a game with 0 hits, 6 BB and 8 K’s to one with 2 hits, 0 BB and 15 K’s, you are entitled to have that preference.    They were both great performances.    

34 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I think postseason games are a whole different animal, so it’s almost pointless to compare them with “a meaningless game in Texas.”   I’ll just note that the Palmer no-hitter came in a mid-August game when the O’s already had a 14.5 game lead, so it’s about as meaningless as the Bedard game.    If you prefer a game with 0 hits, 6 BB and 8 K’s to one with 2 hits, 0 BB and 15 K’s, you are entitled to have that preference.    They were both great performances.    

Absolutely...one will be remembered 50 years from now, one won’t...lol. 

A game that was big in my memory was Hoyt Wilhelm’s no hitter against the despised Yankees on 20 Sep 1958. The Yanks went on to win the WS that year and the O’s finished with a losing record for their 5th straight season since returning to B-town. It was a cool and dreary day with drizzle in the air. My 15 year old buddy and I were hanging out doing whatever 15yr olds did in those days. Finally went inside and turned on the radio to catch the game. It was the 8th and the O’s were winning 1-O on a Gus Triandos homer. His 30th of the season to tie the ML record for homers by a catcher. Finally figured out Hoyt was pitching a no no. He got the first two batters out in the 9th and then Hank Bauer attempted to lay down a bunt, but it went foul. Boo’s from the crowd. Bauer popped out to end the game and like that, there was some hope for O’s fans. Took another 8 seasons, but this offered Hope! Thanks, Hoyt. PS: Hoyt 8K and 2BB, first Oriole no no in 60 years, would be 45 yrs before Yanks would be no hit again. Hoyt pitched in bigs until he was 49. Gus hated catching him. Here is a good article on the game:

https://sabr.org/gamesproj/game/september-20-1958-orioles-knuckleballer-hoyt-wilhelm-no-hits-yankees

• Upvote 2

On 3/28/2020 at 3:47 PM, Moose Milligan said:

I do remember this game by Bedard.  I think there was a lot of consternation on here about whether or not he could go a full 9 innings, like if that was going to determine if he was a true ace or not.  He was so much fun to watch that year.  His curveball was amazing.  

I “taped” that game due to work.  Turned it on when I got home, and thought, “Wow! That was masterful!”  Kept the tape for years, and watched it at least a half dozen times.  (I wouldn’t be surprised to find out I still have the tape somewhere.  Wonder how I would play it?). One for the ages!

14 hours ago, tntoriole said:

Oh, and Jim also had two hits and a walk, including a double and drove in a run and scored a run.  And threw 142 pitches...let’s see the modern guys do that regularly.

Let's see a pitcher from the 60s come to modern baseball and face nine guys in a lineup who can all hit a ball 400' at any moment.  Palmer faced Jose Tartabull in that game (.622 career OPS, two homers in 2000 PAs), Danny Cater was betting 5th with 10 homers and a .657 OPS, Tommy Reynolds and his .602 career OPS,  Dave Duncan with a .457 in '69 and a .636 career, and the pitcher's spot.  It was a bit easier to throw 142 pitches in a game when half the lineup of a good team was worse than Stevie Wilkerson.  The 2019 Orioles benched Dwight Smith when his OPS fell near .700.  He had a better batting line than five or six of the '69 A's starters.

9 hours ago, OldNewGuy said:

A game that was big in my memory was Hoyt Wilhelm’s no hitter against the despised Yankees on 20 Sep 1958. The Yanks went on to win the WS that year and the O’s finished with a losing record for their 5th straight season since returning to B-town. It was a cool and dreary day with drizzle in the air. My 15 year old buddy and I were hanging out doing whatever 15yr olds did in those days. Finally went inside and turned on the radio to catch the game. It was the 8th and the O’s were winning 1-O on a Gus Triandos homer. His 30th of the season to tie the ML record for homers by a catcher. Finally figured out Hoyt was pitching a no no. He got the first two batters out in the 9th and then Hank Bauer attempted to lay down a bunt, but it went foul. Boo’s from the crowd. Bauer popped out to end the game and like that, there was some hope for O’s fans. Took another 8 seasons, but this offered Hope! Thanks, Hoyt. PS: Hoyt 8K and 2BB, first Oriole no no in 60 years, would be 45 yrs before Yanks would be no hit again. Hoyt pitched in bigs until he was 49. Gus hated catching him. Here is a good article on the game:

https://sabr.org/gamesproj/game/september-20-1958-orioles-knuckleballer-hoyt-wilhelm-no-hits-yankees

Previous (MLB) Orioles no-hitter was by Jay Hughes in 1898 against Boston on April 22.

I'm guessing there were several minor league Orioles no-hitters in the interim, but the records are hard to come by.

In looking for one in James Bready's book, I stumbled upon Ralph Worrell, who'd be a good candidate for the one-hit wonder thread.  Especially in today's context.  In 1918 at the age of 20 he went 25-10 for the International League Orioles.  Then promptly caught the Spanish flu and died. 

Laymon Yokeley (known as Norman in the bb-ref archives) apparently threw a no-hitter for the Baltimore Black Sox of the Negro American League in 1929.