Where do Kjerstad/Westburg fit on the 2023/24 team

wildcard

7 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Kjerstad will be our Mark Trumbo 2.0...because focusing on limited defensive players with little or no speed has worked out so well for us in the past. 

I thought Mountcastle was Trumbo 2.0. At least Kierstad is lefty. Hyun Soo Kim 2.0? 

1 minute ago, Aristotelian said:

With that leg kick and lefty swing, Kim was the first player I thought of, sorry!

You don't need to apologize but I don't think their game is similar at all.  Kim made his money with low launch angle line drives and working the count.  This kid has a big uppercut swing and a corresponding K rate.

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

You don't need to apologize but I don't think their game is similar at all.  Kim made his money with low launch angle line drives and working the count.  This kid has a big uppercut swing and a corresponding K rate.

I would kill a man for another Kim on the ML roster.  Not really, but you know what I mean.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Trumbo had a decent career folks.  Not his fault the O's offered him a FA contract.

We can say "ha, ha what a stupid reach, he's only going to have a Mark Trumbo career."

If Trumbo had been taken at #2 overall, his career would make him an above-average pick at that slot.  The median value of a #2 pick is about seven wins. Travis Lee, Pedro Alvarez, and Darren Dreifort are typical #2s.

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think I saw a quote yesterday he grew up watching Griffey/Bonds/Trout.

But with the K's, the left-handed bat only, a day in I'm resting on the Jay Bruce - Jim Thome spectrum, hoping he can get pretty far up it.

With the Texas HS guy (I'm uncommited to learning his name yet) and Cole Wilcox still there, someone exciting is guaranteed there at 501 even if the Tigers follow up Tork aggressively.  Between 39 and 74 I foresee either a huge exhale, or a lot of anxiety/calls for faith in Sig during the East Coast dinner hours.

12 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

We can say "ha, ha what a stupid reach, he's only going to have a Mark Trumbo career."

If Trumbo had been taken at #2 overall, his career would make him an above-average pick at that slot.  The median value of a #2 pick is about seven wins. Travis Lee, Pedro Alvarez, and Darren Dreifort are typical #2s.

That doesn't mean we'd enjoy watching him play.  I don't know about you but I'm pretty tired of lumbering power guys that hit .250 with a .290 on base percentage.

19 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I wouldn’t be thrilled about getting a Trumbo with the #2 overall pick, even if he would be above average for the slot. 

1 minute ago, Ruzious said:

Is there a real reason there's so many Trumbo comps in this thread?  Can we go on with no more of them?  That'd be great.   

Power hitter with low OBP and questionable corner defense.

And he's a recent Oriole.

That doesn't count as real reasons?

3 minutes ago, ArtVanDelay said:

I wouldn’t be thrilled about getting a Trumbo with the #2 overall pick, even if he would be above average for the slot. 

That probably demonstrates the unrealistic/uninformed casual opinion of the value of the slot than anything.