Callis ranks O’s draft fourth

lovetoaster

Just now, OsEatAlEast said:

The beauty of it is it isn't a static grade but it is a good starting point. Much better than starting out at 28th in my book. Then again it is just one mans opinion.

I mean fourth is good and all but when you go into the draft with the #2 pick and the most pool money fourth isn't that impressive.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I mean fourth is good and all but when you go into the draft with the #2 pick and the most pool money fourth isn't that impressive.

Trouble is I don't remember an Orioles draft ever ranking that high in any of the pundit's opinions.

Edit: It could have happened I just don't remember it.

Edited by OsEatAlEast
  • Upvote 2

Although I did post this, I think most MLB draft rankings at this point are absurd. I just wanted to point out that some very smart people like Callis don’t initially think that this draft was a catastrophe like many people on this board do. Time will tell, friends. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, OsEatAlEast said:

Trouble is I don't remember an Orioles draft ever ranking that high in any of the pundit's opinions.

Edit: It could have happened I just don't remember it.

OK?

I'm just saying is finishing fourth (in this one ranking that ultimately isn't important) impressive given where the Orioles started?

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

OK?

I'm just saying is finishing fourth (in this one ranking that ultimately isn't important) impressive given where the Orioles started?

Would it be more important if he agreed with you?  Fan graphs is more data driven than other sites.  They pretty consistently rated our guys higher than others.  They said we nailed the draft.  So, it isn’t just one guy, but two highly regarded analysts.  And I wasn’t in love with our first two picks.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, NCRaven said:

Would it be more important if he agreed with you?  Fan graphs is more data driven than other sites.  They pretty consistently rated our guys higher than others.  They said we nailed the draft.  So, it isn’t just one guy, but two highly regarded analysts.  And I wasn’t in love with our first two picks.

I just said it wasn't important.

They said we finished with the fourth best draft.  Going in they were in position to have one of the top two drafts (Second pick + Largest pool).  I don't consider that nailing a draft.

The Rockies had the 7th biggest pool and picked ninth.  I'd say they nailed the draft.

The O's had the sort of draft they should have had given their starting position.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

They said we finished with the fourth best draft.  Going in they were in position to have one of the top two drafts (Second pick + Largest pool).  I don't consider that nailing a draft.

The Rockies had the 7th biggest pool and picked ninth.  I'd say they nailed the draft.

The O's had the sort of draft they should have had given their starting position.

I assume that they curve the grades based on draft position, though I could be mistaken.

For what it's worth, Eric Longenhagen over at Fangraphs also likes our draft;  he's a big fan of taking Kjerstad for a slot discount, then drafting a pair of overslots in rounds 4 and 5.  https://blogs.fangraphs.com/draft-odds-ends-2/

• Upvote 2

On 6/12/2020 at 10:02 PM, Can_of_corn said:

I don’t think it’s clear how Callis is assigning his grades.    Is he factoring in what picks the team had and how much slot money, or is he grading as though all teams were on an equal footing?

In any event, it’s completely a matter of subjective opinion, and particularly speculative this year due to how short the season was.      I’ll let you know who had the best draft in ten years.     

I was disappointed with the first day, but by all accounts Elias picked up and drafted well. I just want to see as much talent as possible because the odds are always against these guys making it to the ML level.

Anyhow, I hope we have some baseball this season, and next year is normal. I'm kinda mad that I won't get to use my season tickets for the Shorebirds especially if they are a casualty of dropping some MiL teams.