Callis ranks O’s draft fourth

lovetoaster

On 6/12/2020 at 9:41 PM, Can_of_corn said:

I mean fourth is good and all but when you go into the draft with the #2 pick and the most pool money fourth isn't that impressive.

Yes it is. The Orioles could have (and have in the past) had a terrible draft. I’m bred to believe the Orioles will draft poorly.

17 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'll blame it on your sleep deprivation.

Seriously, largest pool, second pick, finishing fourth isn't impressive.

It might not be "impressive", but it is noteworthy given the amount of doom and gloom permeating around here during the draft. We certainly should be towards the top given where we started. 

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Enjoy Terror said:

Yes it is. The Orioles could have (and have in the past) had a terrible draft. I’m bred to believe the Orioles will draft poorly.

Y'all been beat down too much.

It's a shame when meeting reasonable expectations is cause for celebration.

• Upvote 1

On 6/12/2020 at 9:51 PM, Can_of_corn said:

OK?

I'm just saying is finishing fourth (in this one ranking that ultimately isn't important) impressive given where the Orioles started?

Right, if they didn't have clearly the consensus best overall draft of the 30 teams then they've failed.  So they failed.  Oh well, there's always next year.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Y'all been beat down too much.

It's a shame when meeting reasonable expectations is cause for celebration.

What's worse is when meeting reasonable expectations is seen as meh, or even worse.  There's 30 teams trying to win the draft, and the O's did reasonably well for their slot, so we're supposed to be bitter?

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Right, if they didn't have clearly the consensus best overall draft of the 30 teams then they've failed.  So they failed.  Oh well, there's always next year.

2 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

What's worse is when meeting reasonable expectations is seen as meh, or even worse.  There's 30 teams trying to win the draft, and the O's did reasonably well for their slot, so we're supposed to be bitter?

I didn't say they failed and I didn't say I'm bitter.

I just don't think doing what you are supposed to do is cause for celebration.

2 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Let’s make it simple.   If the guys we drafted do better than they guys we would have drafted if we just went with consensus picks, then we deserve an A or a B.    If they do worse, we deserve a D or an F, depending on exactly how much worse.   If they do about the same, we deserve a C.   

We won’t know which is true for many years.    So, you can say whatever you want right now and nobody can prove you wrong.  

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, TheWall said:

It might not be "impressive", but it is noteworthy given the amount of doom and gloom permeating around here during the draft. We certainly should be towards the top given where we started. 

Jesus! I'd say! The draft day threads were the doomiest and gloomiest I can remember. Sorry to pick him out but led by Moose Milligan from SECONDS after the very first pick.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

Well, none of us know how these kids will turn out, but the Spencer Torkelson hype leads me to think he will definitely not be living up to it...I think it was this same article that used the word “transcendent” several times in describing this kid....sorry, but that is just a fail waiting to happen. 

20 hours ago, scOtt said:

Jesus! I'd say! The draft day threads were the doomiest and gloomiest I can remember. Sorry to pick him out but led by Moose Milligan from SECONDS after the very first pick.

I just hope Kjerstad doesn't read the board. What should be one of the best days of his life. To which some of us like a bunch of AA gunners with itchy trigger fingers couldn't wait to shoot him out of the air.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, OsEatAlEast said:

I just hope Kjerstad doesn't read the board. What should be one of the best days of his life. To which some of us like a bunch of AA gunners with itchy trigger fingers couldn't wait to shoot him out of the air.

I hope he's not the type to be bothered by what he might read.