60 man roster & taxi squad

bpilktree

2 hours ago, Enjoy Terror said:

‪Just thinking about how many times I’m going to hear the phrase “small sample size” from Baseball Internet over the next five months‬

At this point it’s impossible to predict. We simply do not have a large enough sample to predict!???

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Honestly, with the collective bargaining agreement going to most likely affect service time, and with no apparent solution for any kind of minor league games at this point, it doesn't make a lot of sense to not start the season with Mountcastle or Akin or maybe even Kremer and Zimmerman on the major league team.

At least they can get some development time in and maybe help them be ready to help the team earlier in the future when it might matter.

Now if they do come up with some kind of minor league games down in Florida/Arizona then maybe it makes more sense for them stay down there, but I'm thinking this unique situation may actually help some of our closer prospects see big league time this year.

What do you think the new CBA will do with service time?

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I wasn't talking about W/L record.  I just don't want to constantly see the same teams.

It’s super boring in a normal season.  I get to see the Blue Jays 20 times and Mike Trout three.  Six if I only sleep for four hours the other nights.

14 minutes ago, VaBird1 said:

Spring Training was down to 50 I think according to SteveA’s awesome post.  Wonder if they go with that and add the next 10.

Some of the guys that were cut will probably be on the taxi squad.  Mountcastle, Kremer, Akin, Hess, Lowther, Bannon, Mullins, Wells

46 minutes ago, wildcard said:

What do you think the new CBA will do with service time?

I don't know, but I imagine they are going to work to get rid of the service clock games teams play that require them to keep MLB-ready prospects in the minors for a few weeks at a start of a season in order to gain an extra year of control. 

14 minutes ago, VaBird1 said:

Or 1B.

I’m curious if some teams use September for some of their better prospects. It is more about 40 man spots. Unless they will count service days different this year. 

I mean if you have the 40 man spot what is the harm in say letting Yusniel Diaz play 20 games in September. Nothing stopping you from starting him at AAA in 2021.  

One thing for sure they will be busy trying to come up with all these little rules.  This is a season I would like to have Duquette running the team.  He always found a loop here or there to configure the roster.  I think there will be all sorts of loop holes teams will use that the league doesn’t think of to start season.

36 minutes ago, bpilktree said:

Another question not on roster space but deferred money.  Does Davis get the entire amount or is deferred money also prorated.  Same with Cobb I believe.

I would expect the deferred money is not pro-rated.   It's being paid in Year X, not this year, don't see why it would be pro-rated.   Those payments were negotiated as part of the contract.   The team (presumably) wanted them to  lower the cost of Davis while he was playing, and his salary this year will be lowered by a pro-rated amount.   How would you even define which of the post-contract payments is specifically tied to this season???